classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LCC Is Closed.

tBatt

Current conditions as of 4pm MST
33" Storm Snow, 5.50" SWE. That is a considerably high snow density for what we're use to.
The storm started in the single digits °F. Within 24 hours the temps rose to near 30°F.
Lots of weight (5.50" Water, Extremely strong winds blowing from the NNW and transporting snow to S facing aspects.) added in 36 hours.

Winds peak gust at 100mph at the top of Hidden Peak of Snowbird. I think I saw 80 at the top of Baldy.

2/7/2020
0530 Interlodge (see: punishable by law to leave the building you're in)
0630 - 0830 Highway control shoot, minimal avalanching.
1430 - Back to the gun to shoot the highway. Superior crosses road and hits buildings in Snowbird village.
1600-1700 - Highway opens for downhill traffic only for people with personal vehicles. No time to get UTA busses or Private shuttles to the airport.  
2/8/2020
0230 - Natural avalanche cycle. Tanners, White Pine, and Monte Cristo cover the road. MC leaves 8-9' of debris across the road at Snowbird entry 1.
0600 - Two snowplows on the road. One crosses under the White Pine Chute and calls to the other all clear. Second one is stopped at a 4' pile of debris on the road.
0630 - Howitzer fires on Mt Baldy. Little Chute, Main Chute, and the High shoulder rip out to the flats. high shoulder slid nearly 1100' in elevation with a very, very long run out and broke up to 8' deep. Possibly down to the October facets.
0930 South Ridge Superior Gazex triggers slides hitting the road.
1030 Howitzer gets Little Superior to cross the road, going into Snowbird parking lots
1100 Hellgate Gazex triggers slide that cross the road, smash windows out of houses between the main line and the bypass road. 3-5 feet of snow debris with timber in a house.
1140 Howitzer triggers slide in Toledo Bowl, crosses Hwy 210, Nearly misses Peruvian, buries line of parked, employee cars.

Filmed by my buddy Mac at the Peruvian Lodge. Once visible - My truck.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qeXQ4Una0kA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1400 Naturally triggered avalanche buries Hwy 210 at White Pine lot from the North, 8+ feet of debris on the road and
1700 Announcement we're continuing interlodge and road closure through the night. Still no known estimated reopening time.
1800 - Beer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LCC Is Closed.

Benny Profane
BCC was closed today, too.

Which made Deer Valley a gaper S show, since it was the only Ikon mountain open.
Even traffic in at 8:15 was an hour from I80.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Exciting times!

I saw a slide blast through the Puruvian lodges ski shop back in 98.

Interlodge should be on every serious skiers list. Hopefully they get a lift running for ya all up there well before the road gets cleared!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
BCC was closed today, too.
For a pretty short time. UDOT was tweeting the Brighton parking lot was full at 12:45pm.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
I was there when aa Superior slide packed the lower deck of the Snowbird parking garage and wiped the bus stop off the map. We were interlodged for 2 days. GMD had plenty of food and beer so we had a good time.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.