Bosco DaSkia
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Labrador

Snowballs
Banned User
BD on tour ! Filling Harv's empty TR slots. Grea pics, BD.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Bosco your dedication and zeal for this continuing travelogue is impressive đź‘Źđź‘Ť
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Excellent. There are so many fun areas in NYS, especially when you have a snowy winter. Keep the TRs coming!
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Have you noticed any changes since Song ownership took over?
Reply | Threaded
|

Bosco DaSkia
Reply | Threaded
|

Kleetus
Hit lab today for 2 reasons:

1. My Dr/chiropractor cleared me to give skiing a try yesterday telling me it wouldn't make my back issues/sciatica any worse

2. Tickets were $10 and its close to home

The verdict: Skiing with my back issues, hurts, a lot. I managed to struggle through about 2.5 hours before having to head out for christmas festivities. Conditions were refrozen corduroy from yesterdays warmup, which I expected.

We'll see what today's test means for my season. While it hurt while skiing, my back feels better afterwards. If that lasts, I'll probably go for it moving forward....if not...I don't want to think about it.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
Grooming has left a lot to be desired this year. I know we’ve had a lot of rain but wtf...
Reply | Threaded
|

billyymc
Lab skied excellent today. They picked up a bunch of badly needed snow since a week ago, and it snowed the entire time we were there (9-3:30)...snowing hard when we left. Last week there was bare ground any place they hadn't made snow, and today those places were skiable - even in the trees in some instances.

They were hosting a college race which was right under the triple and fun to watch. And despite having $39 lift tickets at the window all weekend, the lift lines were never more than a couple minutes long despite the parking lot and lodge being packed. Early on they put up ropes to create lanes at the triple chair - one for triples, one for doubles, one for singles...neat, orderly, efficient. People took turns sliding up to the lift.

Lab certainly has interesting grooming - they always leave whales around to play on like a natural park...pretty fun even for old dudes.

Stopped early for lunch at Last Run (their bar/restaurant). Excellent burgers and a pitcher of beer. Glad we stopped when we did because shortly after the place filled up. Fortunately they have the cafeteria in the lodge, where they also let families and racers bring food in as well.

Overall great day of skiing soft snow in central NY. The entire area really needed this snow, badly. Since I'm headed west next week to ski I"m sure there will be a major storm hitting here!
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Skied Lab today for the third time in the last five days.
Thursday skied when the incoming "storm(s)" were first starting.
Skiing was nice with about 4" covering the stuff from the recent melt down.
Snowed the whole time and after college racers practicing left there was only a few people on the hill till the dozen or so local ski school busses arrived when I was leaving.
Friday skied even better with new snowmaking but colder.
Lake effect bands moved south after Saturday's storm and pumped till late last night.
A lot came down from Thursday till now and lord knows we all can use it.
Saw more tumbles and falls today than all year put together but no one appeared less for wear.
Fun day on a Monday.
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Skied Lab 12-3 under mostly blue skies.
Temps in upper 30s-low 40s.
Buttery snow to somewhat soft base and no ice anywhere.
Easy on the knees but heavy snow made for more effort than usual.
Had groomer going on a couple trails during the day but the skied on trails were much more fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

radskier
I was pretty disappointed. There weren’t any lines and the chairs never stopped to meet and mingle with friends. I could see outside and eat the lunch I brought.  They don’t have a express lift. Couldn’t find the selfie station, or the serve yourself coffee in the ski shop. There wasn’t any bibimap Bowles, or watered down mimosas. Said no one ever...
Reply | Threaded
|

tirolski
Skied lab today 9:15 till 2:30. Temp mid teens. Winds 10 mph or so.
Lots of new snow (14"+) and it lightly snowed lake effect with sun being out to boot.
Thanks Urllr.
They had everything open with little grooming on trails served by both triples.
Ptarmigan lift opened after 10 and wore me out after about 5 runs through the loads of snow.
Headed back to Main triple and Badger lifts.
Super fun but I didn't deserve many points for style skiing through all the cut up.
Need more practice
Most everyone said best day of year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Labrador Conditions

Little Wing
In reply to this post by tirolski
I waited until afternoon on Monday 3/16/2020, to get to Lab , figuring it would be quite icy in the AM.
Met up with a summer friend who said I guessed correctly.
Skied 1-4:30 , partly sunny, warm in the 40's. Nice spring corn, with about 20 other skiers.
They had about 7 ways down and plenty of snow on the slopes that were open.
Some of the patrollers and other staff said that a decision to reopen after today was still being made.
Last NA ski area open ?
Heard of any others ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
Cannon in NH. and Gunstock are open and maybe McCauley near Old Forge will open on Wed. (McCauley is closed on Tuesdays may open on Wed. 3/18/20). Oh... and Brenton Woods is open and maybe Waterville valley.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Got to love NH.  Live free or die
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
Yeah, I saw that the governor of New Hampshire ordered Cannon to remain open until further notice.  A bit too far from Syracuse, but McCauley is definitely game - always wanted to go there.

Also noticed (from OnTheSnow) that a bunch of places are still open in Idaho, including Schweitzer.