Harv the title should read Lake Placid --- my bad
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lake Placid Hosting the 2023 World University Games

Z
More details of the bid here

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2018/01/whats-in-the-bid-for-the-world-university-games/

No costs detailed but if you read thru this bid we are talking $100 million
They also have to pay millions for the right to host this
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Could some of that 100mil go towards snowmaking upgrades and shiny new lifts?
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
snoloco wrote
Could some of that 100mil go towards snowmaking upgrades and shiny new lifts?
ditto
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
In reply to this post by Z
will be interesting to see exactly how they split the ski events up. I think Gore region is relaly only positioned to handle alpine events. I thought the Korean split of Downhill/SG at one mountain and GS/slalom was clunky....suppose they could do that. Or they could do skiing at WF and snowboard events at Gore? But would that make any sense either (IMHO, no).

"The skiing and snowboarding events would be at the state-run Whiteface and Gore Mountain ski centers in Wilmington and North Creek, respectively."  (http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2018/03/lake-placid-lands-university-games/)
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
"FISU Winter Games Director Milan Augustin said the Mount Van Hoevenburg cross-country skiing and biathlon center is the only venue that would need a major overhaul."

I'd heard a rumor that FISU wanted a new lodge at Mt van Ho.  Unconfirmed.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by SIAWOL
Colleges at least in the US do not race any speed events even Super G so that is not really in play.  What I heard is they tried it awhile back and there was a fatality and the NCAA put the kiibosch on all speed events.

Since the Gov pushed for this hopefully he fully funds it so the next Gov doesn’t pull a Brazil after Cuomo fails to get elected to Potus.  

My guess is of the two options they go with the hotel option as it’s way cheaper but it would be good to see the true village option as LP could sorely use employee housing once this is over.  The hotel option dramatically reduces the Econ impact for the games as a huge chunk of the rooms would be taken by the athletes who spend very little money vs spectators who do.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by SIAWOL
SIAWOL wrote
will be interesting to see exactly how they split the ski events up. I think Gore region is relaly only positioned to handle alpine events. I thought the Korean split of Downhill/SG at one mountain and GS/slalom was clunky....suppose they could do that. Or they could do skiing at WF and snowboard events at Gore? But would that make any sense either (IMHO, no).

"The skiing and snowboarding events would be at the state-run Whiteface and Gore Mountain ski centers in Wilmington and North Creek, respectively."  (http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2018/03/lake-placid-lands-university-games/)
From the bid dossier:

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!