classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lapland Lake, Benson NY, 1/19/2014

Peter Minde
This post was updated on .
Temperature ranged from 21 F at 10 AM to 25 F when we left around 2:30.  Surface: a little packed powder over frozen granular and ice. Snow depth 3 – 7 inches.

The three most difficult loops were closed; otherwise, everything was open.  About 31 km total.  Close to the lodge, the trails were icy.  The further out you went, conditions imporved: there was more packed powder covering the frozen base.  Some of the downhill corners had been scraped down to ice.  There was very little dirt in the snow.  There were a couple of narrow spots, but overall the coverage was good.  You could certainly use good skis.  During the morning, light snow fell as the sun shined.

Located a few miles west of Great Sacandaga Lake, Lapland is in a location where it receives some lake effect snow.  In the great snow drought of 2014, it’s a pleasure to be able to ski at all.  Designed by 1960 Olympian Olavi Hirvonen (who still runs the place with his wife), there’s a lot of gradual uphill and downhill.  On a fast day like today, one has to be on one’s toes in the corners.  Skiers who are good in transitions will be rewarded here.

As of 8:30 last evening, Lapland’s website reports 3 inches of new snow and more coming down.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lapland Lake, Benson NY, 1/19/2014

Chris
This post was updated on .
I like the XC reports coming in these days.  Just got some old waxless skis down at play it again.  looking forward to getting up to the Crandall trails for some night skiing and also getting further into it up at Garnett Hill and also Lapland.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

tomg
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Nice Report!  Wish there were more opportunities for xcountry in central jersey!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I'm gonna go ahead and agree with Tom. If XC was available right now downstate, I would have been able to sneak out of work to have a good time.

Fahnestock was so fun last year, I'm really jonesin to get back out and lay down some miles.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Thanks for the report. There is enough snow down now to ski on the street here in NJ.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
@ TomG.  Dunno where you live in NJ, but if you've got a half decent public park nearby, you're halfway there.  I am fortunate to live near some good county/municipal parks.  If you're willing to put the tracks in old school, you might have some good skiing!