Leadville WW100K (WilmingtonWhiteface Bikefest)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Leadville WW100K (WilmingtonWhiteface Bikefest)

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
Registered today for the WW100K!  

Training hard.  Making the third complete, well Wilmington to E-town and back minus the Whiteface climb, trip on Sunday. Been across the middle section climbs a bunch of times.  Real familiar w/ Bartlett Road and the nasty one called Mr. Styles Brook.  Starting to get friendly w/ Jay Mtn Road and on great terms w/ Blood Hill...  

Last Monday a couple of us did 62 of the 69 miles in under six hours.  Stoked w/ that.

The course is killer.  And actually fun to ride.  You do climb 75% of the time..  Key word is "time" not distance.  Cause the descents are really fast if you are comfortable w/ staying off the brakes...  

At this point I've transitions from nervous to excited.  

June 17th!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Leadville WW100K

campgottagopee
Expecting good results from the azzclowns
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Up and over again Sunday.  Looking for one more trip across.  It's funny when you ride it w/ someone who hasn't yet.  They round a corner to only see more climbing and heads drop, curse words exclaimed...  

The course does make for an interesting tour.  Gravel roads on the right bike = fun.  You cross two watersheds, amazing mtn views and the donwhills are thrilling.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Good luck on Sunday ScottyJack

Adk Jeff
Good luck in the WW100 on Sunday ScottyJack!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Good luck on Sunday ScottyJack

Harvey
Administrator
+1  We want the details on Monday!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Good luck on Sunday ScottyJack

ml242
Good luck, man! Looking forward to hearing all about this!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Wilmington Whiteface 100k
photo courtesy Jon Lundin
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Wilmington/Whiteface 100K Mountain
Bike Race Qualifies 70 for Leadville

WILMINGTON, N.Y. --- Justin Lindine (New Salem, Mass.) was the first rider to cross the finish line, taking top honors in the second annual Wilmington/Whiteface 100K mountain bike race (WW100) held Sunday, June 17, at Whiteface Mountain, in Wilmington, N.Y.  Lindine completed the 69-mile long race in four hours, 19 minutes, 15.97 seconds.

The finish earned the pro cyclist his second trip back to the Leadville 100 MTB (LT100), where he was 28th overall last year.

“This was an awesome race and competing here has been a goal of mine all season long,” said the winded Lindine following the race.  “I wanted to go back to Leadville, so winning here was a sure way of doing that.”

Last year’s inaugural WW100 race measured 57 miles, but an additional 12 miles were added to this year’s event, which featured a combination of single track, dirt and paved roads, jeeping trails and back country roads.

“The race and the distance felt a lot like Leadville,” remarked the women’s first place finisher Rebecca Rusch (Ketchum, Idaho), who has won three times in Leadville.  “All the way through it’s a super tough course, especially when you get to the ski resort, all the ups and downs are challenging.

“It’s really a good course, a great town and the people are so supportive.”

Rusch completed here race in 5:02:28.29 and was 21st overall.  The out and back course took the field of 358 cyclists through the northern New York towns of Wilmington, Jay, Keene, Lewis and Elizabethtown before returning to the Olympic mountain for a final climb of 2,500 feet. The cyclists also tackled two additional mountain climbs, Jay Mountain and Saddleback Mountain, not once, but twice and both of these climbs were more than 750 meters apiece.

“Fortunately for me this is my type of course,” added the men’s second place finisher Dereck Treadwell (Laurens, N.Y.), who was clocked in 4:22:22.56.  “I do pretty well on the climbs and I seemed to handle the uphills here pretty well, I think it’s because of my running and triathlon background.”

Philip Wong (Male Gloucester, N.J.) rounded out the men’s top-three finishers when he crossed the finish line in 4:25:11.26.  Crystal Anthony (Beverly, Mass.) was second in the women’s event, while Carmen Sweet (Oshawa, Ontario) was third.  Anthony crossed the finish line, at the base of Whiteface Mountain, in 5:21:59.64, while Sweet was clocked in 5:32:59.83.

In only his third-ever mountain bike race, 2010 Olympic Nordic Combined champion Bill Demong (Vermontville, N.Y.) finished fifth overall.  Demong, whose first career mountain bike race was the LT100 last year, where he was 34th, finished in 4:42:32.67.

“That was brutal,” he said afterward.  “Coming down Whiteface, I was saying I’m going to be happy when this is over.  I’m super psyched that I finished fifth.

“I was under the impression that this was a 62-mile long race and I learned only this morning that the race was actually closer to 70-miles that was a little shocking.”

Seventy of Sunday’s athletes are now making plans to race in the Aug. 11 LT100.  Thirty-five of the LT100 qualifying spots were awarded based on performance in each division for men and women, and the other 35 were distributed randomly from a pool of all racers, who finished under the maximum cutoff time, which was eight hours.  Since the LT100 lottery had already taken place, this was one of only six nationwide Leadville Series Races in which cyclists could still qualify and compete in the LT100.

For a complete list of results, log onto http://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/page/show/341303-results.  

For more information about the Wilmington/Whiteface 100K, visit,

http://www.leadvilleraceseries.com/page/show/431652-wilmington-whiteface-100
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Scotty, I saw your pics and read about your day on Facebook. Well done...very impressive.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
u should post them here yo
Reply | Threaded
|

Downhill Mike
Please look forward for the ADK 80K. This cross country mountain bike race will be 80 kilometers of trails. No roads, just mountain bike trails. Watch for official press release this spring!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
Downhill Mike wrote
Please look forward for the ADK 80K. This cross country mountain bike race will be 80 kilometers of trails. No roads, just mountain bike trails. Watch for official press release this spring!
  Any news on this?
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
just saw the ww100k banner/linkey on mtbr at lunch  da -damn, quite the race!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From Jon Lundin:

WW100 Course Sure to Test Cyclists

Wilmington Whiteface Bike Fest June 14-16

WILMINGTON, N.Y. --- Hundreds of cyclists will hit the roads, back country roads and trails during Sunday’s, June 16, Wilmington Whiteface 100k (WW100) mountain bike race. Cyclists from throughout the northeastern United States and Canada hope that this event will qualify them for one of 70 to 100 spots in the prestigious Leadville 100 (LT100).

The 69-mile race both begins and ends at Whiteface Mountain, in Wilmington.  But in between the grueling race will take the fields through some of the region’s most challenging cycling terrain that include twisting jeep and gravel roads, back country trails and demanding hill climbs that measure more than 750 meters each.

From the Olympic mountain, which was the site for the 1980 Olympic Winter Games’ alpine events, and known for having the greatest vertical east of the Rockies, the out and back race will take the cyclists to Route 86, the Fox Farm Road, Springfield Road, Hardy Road, Bartlett Road, Lacy Road and Limkiln Road before reaching Route 9N.

From 9N, the race’s most demanding and technical terrain and climbs await the field, as they peddle through Styles Brook Road and the Jay Mountain Road ahead of Carlott Road and Blood Hill Road.  From there, the field makes its way to Roscoe Road, Bronson Lane, Blueberry Hill and out to Lord Road before returning to the Flume Trails and Whiteface Mountain.

Once at Whiteface, two, three-mile finishing loops and a pair of 350-foot climbs await ahead of the finish line.

Aid stations will be located approximately every 20km along the course (20km, 40km, 60km, 80km, finish).  Each aid station will be stocked with Gu Energy Gels, Gu Chomps, Water, Electrolyte drink, fruit, and light snacks.

The race’s top-three WW100 finishers in each division will be awarded spots to the LT100, while the remaining spots will be distributed based on performance and a lottery system.  Racers who do come away with qualifications will have the opportunity to race in either this year’s LT100 or next year’s.

Cyclists who may not be ready for the full WW100 can also compete in the newly added 50K event.  Added to this year’s race, organizers hope that the 31-mile long race will attract more racers, who might someday race in the full 100K.

Additionally, the organizers are offering a newly established TEAM class which will consist of two-member teams each riding the 50k course.

Both the 100k and 50k races are a part of the June 13-16 fourth annual Wilmington Whiteface Bike Fest.  The bikefest is designed to promote and showcase cycling opportunities in and around Wilmington.

This year’s festival will feature a beginner, instructional mountain bike program, the popular jump jam, a “poor man’s” downhill, beach party, food games, lives music, a “best calves” contest and the 12th annual Whiteface Mountain Uphill Bike Race.

The uphill race, which is part of the northeast Bike Up the Mountain Points Series (BUMPS), will be contested on the morning of Saturday, June 15, which allows racers to compete in both events.  The course takes cyclist 11 miles up the Whiteface Veterans' Memorial Highway, a 3,500-foot climb to the summit of New York State’s fifth highest peak.  To register for the Whiteface Mountain Uphill Bike Race, log onto www.bikereg.com.

Registration is now available, https://register.bazumedia.com/reg/form?eventID=2181, for the Wilmington Whiteface 100k and 50k races. The 100k entry fee is $105 for solo riders, and $70 for 50k solo racers.

The WW100 is the only LT100 qualifier in the northeast United States and is the third event in the four-race qualifying series. Other races that make up the Leadville Qualifying Series include the Austin Rattler, April 13; the Silver Rush 50 MTB, July13; and the Tahoe Trail 100K, July 20th.  The Leadville 100 is slated for Aug. 10.

For more information, visit http://www.facebook.com/WilmingtonBikeFest?ref=ts&fref=ts, or http://www.whitefaceregion.com/.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
SJ...do most people use a Hard Tail or FS? I'm gussing most use a 29er...is that so? Good luck bro.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This is awesome.

On the outbound section dirt round sec 6 is the jay mtn road climb then descend into Lewis.  starts descending about 16:30

http://trailgenius.com/trail-genius-map/wilmington-whiteface-mtb

this year's race is June 5/6

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded