classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Leki poles--prevent theft?

I:)skiing
This post was updated on .
Yesterday,  some hoodlem decided to steal several pair of Leki (etal) race poles from the team, while they were stored in the racks, used by us common folks with cheap gear.   After I got done scolding my son for not locking or checking his gear, I began to calm down.     He argued,  "Dad, there is no way to lock my poles"        I did not hear this in my anger or disappointment of him.

After a bit of searching I found all the poles strewn about the mountain randomly. Lots of happy kids who did not have to tell their parents.     Definitely a prank designed to piss the race team off.     As I collected the poles, I noticed, there is no way to lock them.    There are no straps, holes etc.    Just sticks.  I then proceeded to apologize to my son.    

My son has one of those block keys that fit into the resort's ski rack systems.    95% of the time, he checks his skis/poles--its free at our mountain during the day, not overnight.    

Has anyone come up with a cool method of locking Leki or similar race poles?      I could glue some eyelets to them somewhere and use a cable lock---which I hate and he wont use.      I also dont see a 9-10yr old carrying his poles around on breaks.   The idea of separating poles, like skis, won't work in my mind as boarders will often grab a single pole to scoot around, this will make it even more vulnerable.   Hiding may be the next best step if his lazy butt won't do the ski check.      Can't blame him on some days as the wait is sometimes over 10 minutes each way, dropping and obtaining.  

I searched the web and found nothing.    I have an idea, it won't stop a theif, but would deter one.    Before dreaming of how to spend the millions I'll make selling my patent to Leki,  wanted to check with the NYSKI experts.  What say you?    
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Leki poles--prevent theft?

Snowballs
Banned User
I:)skiing wrote
Looks like they're already gone ! That was fast.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funny, my "enter" key strike is fast.....too fast.     Note to self, enter does not work as a tab key to move from subject to message.    

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Glad you found them.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
Reply | Threaded
|

The totes----were cool in there day....LOL. I never owned one---only "rich" people did.  I dated a gal in the 90s with one too.   Thanks for the memories.   Me and my buddies had to shlep our stuff unconnected.  I had leashes, not breaks, again only for the rich kids.    If I recall, breaks were an extra $20, straps were free.  My fingers regretted being cheap on icy nights.

My son would not be caught with a tote, however my idea is based on the tote concept.   Likely they patented the idea so my dreams are slipping away.....

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I guess if I wanted to seriously answer the question I'd say, just bring the poles in the lodge. Someone will inevitably give you shit, but then just say: "I left my previous set out at your mountain and they were stolen. Until you take steps to prevent equipment theft, I'm keeping my poles with me."

Or do what I do and buy really cheap poles.
Reply | Threaded
|

Last year I had him use the resort's poles.     However the bottoms were flat and he could not dig them into the starting gate's ice.     The coach "mentioned" that maybe he should get some real poles.   Found the Leki's at a swap for $10.00 bucks, matching gloves, $10 bucks.  Yes!   Now there is no turning back for him.  

That said, he did have visions of using resort poles since his were stolen. Or hitting up the grand parents as I was not not buying new poles.    I have a window where I think he would lock them to avoid theft.    Being a kid, I don't want him talking back to those charged with stopping gear from coming into the building.  I am never with him and can't argue his case.  

However, now that you mention it, with all the racers, maybe the resort will set up a garbage can in a protected area where they can drop them.       1st idea.    
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
You need this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vintage-NOS-Master-859-Combination-Ski-Lock-with-Cable-Winter-Sports-Skiing-/331399313422?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d28f0380e
I've had for over 30 years. I don't think they're made anymore.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

That is sweet!  

Best part it can be locked to the ski rack and left there, all season.     I may play with that idea.   I can easily make something like that, if needed.    

I was just told that a few of the GS racer's poles cost over $150.00 yikes!    Their parents owe me some beer chits.   Typical kids..."your poles were stolen....that sucks"      Took a cheap azz dad like me to go looking.  Some may have made it to lost and found, but I doubt it, they were spread all over the area, separated, tossed into the woods etc.          
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
That is what we used to use in the 70's.  It worked then!
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
what about drilling a hole to stick a wire through.   It could be real thin it only has to keep the honest people honest.  

my guess is it was one of his buddies that played the prank.  everything is all fun and games until little johny gets his ass chewed.