classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lodging - Stowe VT Presidents Week

Peter Minde
This post was updated on .
I tried to make reservations in Stowe VT for Presidents day week 2015, and I'm shut out.  The places that I can afford all  seem to be booked.

If you can recommend a moderately priced motel - preferably with efficiency rooms so we can cook - I'd appreciate it.  And how far in advance does one have to book a room at that time of year?  Thank you,
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: lodging - Stowe VT Presidents week

Z
Try the Old Stagecoach Inn in Waterbury

http://www.oldstagecoach.com

We have stayed here many times.  Waterbury is a nice town and you can walk to resturants.  It's about 30 mins to either Stowe or Sugarbush from there.

They have one of the best breakfasts anywhere included in the room rate.  I recall they do have some efficiency units as well.

Highly recommended.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This post was updated on .
+1 on the Stagecoach. We stay there often

This place http://www.greenmontfarms.com/ though seems more of what you are after. It's not the most convenient for actually skiing Stowe as its on the wrong side of Mansfield. Really nice folks own the place. Only gripe is the bunk beds are extremely soft. I just always bring an air mattress  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Peter,

Are you looking to do xc at the Trapp compound? Does it have to be Stowe for any particular reason?
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote

This place http://www.greenmontfarms.com/ though seems more of what you are after. It's not the most convenient for actually skiing Stowe as its on the wrong side of Mansfield. Really nice folks own the place. Only gripe is the bunk beds are extremely soft. I just always bring an air mattress
I had been looking at that place for a cheap overnight in the Smuggs area but it looks like their booking policy is full room only, no singles (they state flat out that they are "not a youth hostel"). Are you by yourself or with a group when you stay there?
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote

I use to stay here back in the day: http://www.roundhearth.com/

It was cheap and clean
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by riverc0il
It's always 3 or 4 of us
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Pretty sure that is a youth hostel now in the winter.   I stayed there back when I was in college.  

Turns out that in the summer they run a great dryland ski camp for racers out of it.  We just dropped my son off there today.  He went last summer and loved it.  Staying for two weeks this year.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Thank you to all for your recommendations, I'm gonna check them out.  May be too late for next winter, but the winter following for sure.

@ ml242, The plan would be to ski both Trapp Family lodge and Mt Mansfield XC.  There are connecting trails, and they cross-honor one another's passes.  Way back when, my wife and I skied from Trapp's up to their cabin and down to the Mansfield lodge, and back.  Many times.

Many of Mt Mansfield's nordic trails were originally alpine trails cut back in the day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Late to the party here, but...
You might try the Stowe Motel & Snowdrift.  It's right at the intersection of the Mountain Road and the road that goes up to Trapp.  We've stayed there many times as a family group (6 to 10 of us), usually over the MLK holiday weekend in January.   It's been a few years, but the rates were quite reasonable.  We always stayed in the same efficiency unit, I think it used to be the motel manager's apartment.  There's a decent outdoor hot tub right outside the unit.
I've done the Trapp - Mansfield traverse a number of times.  Steeple is a favorite along that route.