Looking for Central NY camping suggestions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for Central NY camping suggestions

Chris
Will be riding a little DH at Greek Peak this Saturday with a friend, looking for ideas on good spots to camp Saturday PM.  He lives in Erieville, looks like there's a good chunk of state forest between Erieville & Greek... Any suggestions on good camping spots?  Not necessarily looking to backpack in, but don't mind walking a bit to set up camp.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for Central NY camping suggestions

campgottagopee
I'll bet you could camp in the corner of the parking lot right at Greek Peak if you wanted to, just give them a call. If not there certainly is a lot of state land around you could camp on. Search James Kennedy State Forest which is right up on top of Greek, as well as search Tuller Hill State Forest. The Finger Lakes Trail runs threw both of those forests with plenty of camping available.  Another option would be to go over to the chair 5 area and just set up camp, no one would ever check over there this time of year. Kind of like it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission. If your buddy doesn't know where chair 5 is just ask anyone around there and they'll point you in the direction.

There will be a band at Trax Saturday  
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Nice, thanks Camp for chiming in

Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I don't have my maps with me, but have fun and take some pics of Greek for me!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Chris
You bet.

Scroll down in this link and there's an interactive map that will give you the lay of the land.

http://www.bringfido.com/lodging/253381/update_pet_policy/

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Here's the band that's playing Saturday at Trax --- I've never heard them but I dig the video ----

Music starts at 4:00

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Chris
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Greek Peak sux bro!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
That's the best you got this morning Scotty?? Sad, very sad ---- go back to sleep bro
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
Decent sound , dude is a very good axe man ., drummer is dope
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Used to go up that way for trail races organized by Finger lakes Runners Club.  If you were camping out the night before, they sent you to a vacant field down a dirt road a few miles away from a race track.  Going to sleep as the modifieds drifted around the track.  Loud.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Peter Minde wrote
Used to go up that way for trail races organized by Finger lakes Runners Club.  If you were camping out the night before, they sent you to a vacant field down a dirt road a few miles away from a race track.  Going to sleep as the modifieds drifted around the track.  Loud.

Skyline Raceway ----- place is some of the best people watching around   http://www.skylineracewayny.com/

Right across the street from the track is our Sporstmans Club --- that hill is country boy heaven
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by warp daddy
warp daddy wrote
Decent sound , dude is a very good axe man ., drummer is dope
I'll report back. Planning on checking them out tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Kewl, the chikita has a different sounding voice , not sure yet on her as a lead , have to hear more , but she looks fine and did well on backups.

It May be a case of.    "Dude. you can listen to JIMMY , but you can't hear him man"  Westley Snipes  to Woody Harrelson in the flick WHite guys can't jump. Bwa hahahah
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
We had a blast!  Rode 12-5 on Saturday the trails a VERY fun, good crowd riding.  My friend rented a GT Fury from the shop and loved everything about it, he's a washed up MXer so he was stoked to be back on 2 wheels.  Ate food out on the trex deck at Trax bar, the band Castle Creek was VERY good, really wish we could have stayed for the whole show.  She's a total babe, he can really play the blues, drummer and bass were on point.  Just saw that they're opening for Zach Brown at SPAC this weekend. Just a really beautiful setting.  Bailed out of there about 3/4 of the way thru their first set to hike up and set up camp.

Beautiful weather, nice breeze could hear the band from our camping spot looking out over the lodge, Virgil town park and the (busy) hotel.  Some great shooting stars, just a really good day all around.

I don't remember there being so many nice glades at Greek, want to get back there in the winter!

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cool man   glad you had a fun time in The Virgil Valley. Sounds like you must have camped near the start ramp on Odyssey or on top of the big O. Regardless good spots. I like the band too, they're pretty tight imo, and yea, she was a total babe.