Looking for advice on Oakley low light goggle lenses

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for advice on Oakley low light goggle lenses

Danzilla
I am looking for a pair of new goggles that will do me well in the normal low/flat light of December/Jan/February.  I have a pair of mid range scott goggles that just don't cut it in low light.  I also have a Spy Soldier frame that needs a replacement lense.  I am probably going to get a mirrored replacement lense to put in the Spy's for sunny days.  

I have narrowed my choice for low lights down to the Oakley Splice goggles with either the HI Persimmon or HI Yellow lenses.  Anyone have insight on either one of these lenses?  I know the HI Yellow lets more light in.  Wondering if anyone has real world experience with either lense.

Thanks in advance.

Danzilla
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for advice on Oakley low light goggle lenses

Spongeworthy
I have the HI Persimmon in an Oakley A-Frame and they're great in flat light, nothing at all like the regular Persimmon. For me, they're fine in bright sunlight, too. I hear that the HI Yellow will fry your eyeballs when the sun comes out.  
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
You can replace goggle lenses? All goggles? I got some favs I'd love new lenses in....Scotts. How would I do that? Gracias.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Hey Snowballs.  You can replace the lenses on most goggles these days unless they are lower end models.  Sometimes it doesn't make sense as the lenses are as expensive (or close to as expensive) as the goggles (with new lense).  The mid to high end Oakley's, Scott's, Spy's, Von Zippers, etc. etc. all have multiple lenses choices for all kinds of light conditions.  It's actually ends up being information overload.  You just have to google the goggles (say that 10 times) you have along with "replacement lenses" and chances are you will find a ton of sites with replacements.  You obviously need to know the exact model of the goggle frame.

I am now leaning towards just getting an orange or persimmon replacement lense for my spy soldiers.  I would rather drop 40-60 bucks on them than on new oakleys.  The oakleys are pretty sweet though.  Decisions decisions.  A quiver of one or two goggles?

I am just tired of almost killing myself when I cannot see any snow definition in low light / snowy conditions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Danzilla
I got the HI Persimmon replacement lens last year at this site for $60 shipped:

http://www.backcountry.com/oakley-a-frame-goggle-replacement-lens
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for advice on googles

Harvey
Administrator
Danno.. if your issue is resolved, hope you don't mind some thread drift...

... anybody have experience with prescription goggles?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Thanks 'zilla! I'll have to give that a try.

Definitely a two goggle quiver guy here.  
Reply | Threaded
|

DragonAlliance
Banned User
In Oakley glasses molding method is used to protect your eyes from dangerous light rays and is combined with polarized filter. I have used advanced project snow glasses in snowy areas with super anti fog lens with full protection from UV rays and specially useful in low or flat light.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
Also try www.prolens.com, a New England company, based in NH.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for advice on googles

freeheeln
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
fixedheeln used them for a season. problem is when you take them off you need your glasses or you can't see
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.