classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking to do some boat camping

Z
I've heard about some boat camping spots and want hear more about it before doing it

There are dec camping sites on Saranac and I think lake George.  Any others maybe on Lake Champlain?  Vermont?

has anyone done it?  Need advice on where to go.  How primitive are the sites?  I'd assume outhouse type toilets.  Do you beach your boat or is there docks?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking to do some boat camping

Adk Jeff
coach, Lower and Middle Saranac are great, and relatively close to you.  Lake George is great too,but a bit further away. Yes, there are docks and outhouses.  For the saranacs you would launch at the Second Pond  boat launch.  The Saranacs are beautiful and you could tie in a hike up Ampersand. We did a family day trip paddling around Middle two summers ago, my blog post has some links & info that might be useful. We've also boat camped on Lake George, equally beautiful, just further from where you live. Here's a post I did on that with some additional info & links for campsite reservations etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
getting some of the prime campsites on the Saranac Lakes requires jumping on the reservation site in mid winter.  We'll be out there the Iron peeps weekend!  Looking forward to it cause it's great fun.

not all sites have docks, most are tie ups.  All Island sites have out houses.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
How do you know which ones are the prime sites?
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
If you never been on lake George on one of the islands go down there.  The lake is beautiful.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
In reply to this post by Z
I would try Fish Creek Pond first. You can tie your boat off in front of your campsite. Then you could scout out Upper Saranac Lake?
http://fishcreekpond.com/campsiteguide.html
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
getting some of the prime campsites on the Saranac Lakes requires jumping on the reservation site in mid winter.
True of Middle and Lower, but not Upper, which is first come first serve. Upper Saranac Lake, Green Island, on the North end of the lake, is the spot. Almost always taken on weekends, but if you go on a weekday, it's usually open. Nice small beach to pull the boat up, beautiful site, great rocks for sunning and swimming, views of Whiteface. Can't beat it.
Reply | Threaded
|

baitman5238
Indian lake islands is a great spot. Reserve on reserveamerica.com. Mostly island sies, beach your boat, privy/outhouse type toilets. Beautiful unspoiled lake, you can pickup pretty much whatever you need without ever leaving the lake. It's about 20 miles northwest of Gore Mtn.
Reply | Threaded
|

professor
lake George island camping is best in june and sept....less boat traffic...more sites available...for best sites you have to reserve as soon as allowed...one of my faves is #10 on south end of fork island... sites on south end of turtle Island are awesome too and you have a solar powered outhouse...several one and two site islands ...all sites have nice docks...good luck...I miss island camping !!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
This post was updated on .
Coach Z wrote
How do you know which ones are the prime sites?

the reservation site displays the sites by map.  but the best way is to take a boat ride from the new launch site on Rt 3 (second Pond) into lower Saranac and scout it out.  keep in mind which way the sun sets when choosing a site.  do you want to wake up with the sun or watch it set...  On middle Saranac if you can ever get the campsite that abuts the beach camp site 67 - do it!!  also first and second island on the middle are awesome.  

on lower -  sites 37-44 as well as Partridge, Green, Martin and Goose Island sites are pretty prime.

upper Saranac is an awesome boating experience but has way less campsites.  green island site is prime but that one is locked up by the locals every year for most of the season....

click the camping guide pdf found off this link to get the map w/ numbered sites.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24496.html 

map - http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/permits_ej_operations_pdf/saranaclakeisl2015.pdf
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Some (all?) of the LG sites have platforms to pitch your tent on. There's tons of sites on LG.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
My problem is going to be with my sons busy sports schedule it's pretty difficult for me to plan months ahead to book a site on some web site.

Anyone know of any privately owned boat camping where the reservations would be more reasonably available?  I'm thinking maybe on grand island or some where in Vt there might be a camp ground on the water.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Some (all?) of the LG sites have platforms to pitch your tent on. There's tons of sites on LG.
Keep your eyes peeled for rattlesnakes!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp