Lost area?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lost area?

Thehof

Who knows what this is? It's in the southern cats near Livingston Manor. It kinda looks like a small ski area. Could it be Christmas Hills. For a closed ski mountain the trails look as if they've been cleaned on a regular basis. I can see no sign of infrastructure from sat image. Is it on private land? Can I try skinning up next winter? I'am I just going through winter withdrawal ?
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lost area?

ml242
Blue Hill, cut never opened.

It tops out at 2500'....
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Wow I can't believe how informed this forum is. Is it private land? Has anyone tried it recently ? When was it cut ?
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
In reply to this post by ml242
Looks nice, ok location but no city near by so would have to be a drive to place, that said, no night skiing for more income from schools.  

Photo taken in Sept 2012.  

Tried to find some info using Google to no avail.  

Starting up a ski area has to take huges sums of cash.    Would seem better to purchase an old one, however I can see the flaw in that too......it failed, so what makes you so great you can make it a sucess?  kind of thinking.

Let me start a rumor....the next local Bode Miller wanna be family cut this out for their kid to practice in private, similar to Mahre bothers or Shaun White.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
I'll try to get up there this summer to check it out. It's very interesting that's there's no info online. There must be some locals who know the real story. Anyway next season i'am trying some alpine touring, this may be a great place to try.  
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

decline02
Any update on this "lost area"?  I saw it for the first time two weekends ago from the Balsam Lake Mountain fire tower.  From where I stood it looked very maintained as you described. Judging from the tower's topo map I assumed it was on Blue hill, but aside from this post, I've been unable to find any additional information?  Did you make it up there yet?  Any additional history from locals?
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
Sorry to report that I've never gotten there yet. I ended up buying a second home in Masthope (Poconos). We've been scoping out the surrounding woods and back trails by us ,so I kinda forgot all about this. Maybe on a trip over to Platty for one of the music things I'll leave early and at least do a drive by.
Thanks for the reminder.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Thehof wrote
Sorry to report that I've never gotten there yet. I ended up buying a second home in Masthope (Poconos). We've been scoping out the surrounding woods and back trails by us ,so I kinda forgot all about this. Maybe on a trip over to Platty for one of the music things I'll leave early and at least do a drive by.
Thanks for the reminder.
We'll be there for the big roast....say hello.
Reply | Threaded
|

decline02
Looks like this could be the multi-million dollar "Neversink Ski Resort" as planned and announced by Moshe Mayer, the president of Marcent Development Company on August 4, 1970.

Also see page 2 of 15 for the 08/05/10 issue of the Ye Olde Tri-Valley Townsman:
http://comando.50megs.com/aug52010/aug52010.pdf
Reply | Threaded
|

decline02
Rumor has it that the resort never opened because... "the Town of Neversink is a dry town, they felt they could never make money... (however) the townspeople did not believe that as the summit was in the town of Neversink, but the base in the town of Denning and you could serve alcohol there."

I'm not certain that the political/municipal boundaries described above are accurate. Google Maps suggests that the base of the planned resort sits outside of the town of Denning, undermining the credence of the above rumor.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
This post was updated on .
Sounds to me another fine example of the government (any government) getting in the way.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
If someone is actually going to spend millions to build a ski resort they usually figure out that kind of thing beforehand or grease the wheels after. Getting a small town like that to see it your way isn't that hard. My guess is they ran out of money.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Do dry towns still exist in NYS?
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
According to Wiki:

As of the 2011 election, there are nine towns in New York state that are completely dry, and 39 that are partially dry.[103]
The "dry" towns in the state are: Caneadea in Allegany County, Clymer in Chautauqua County, Lapeer in Cortland County, Orwell in Oswego County, Fremont and Jasper in Steuben County, Berkshire in Tioga County, and Argyle in Washington County.[103][104]
The town of West Almond does not allow off-premises consumption, while the towns of Hartford, Franklin, Seneca, Caton, Rathbone, Newark Valley, Butler, Rose, Pike, Wethersfield and Middlesex do not allow on-premises consumption.[103]
The towns of Bovina, Gorham, Richford, Orangeville, and Barrington do not allow on-premises consumption except in year-round hotels.[103]
The other 22 partially dry towns have varying specific rules for "Special On-Premises Consumption." For example, Wilmington in Essex County is dry for on-premises consumption at race tracks and outdoor athletic fields and stadiums where admission fees are charged and wet in all other areas.[103]

I had no idea Lapeer was a dry town, Lapeer is one town over from where I live. Looks like Wilmington even made the list in some obscure fashion.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
How much vertical does this hill have? It looks kind of cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
raisingarizona wrote
Looks like about 500ft vertical
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
x10003q wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Looks like about 500ft vertical
Not a lot for lift served but if there is pitch it would be a sweet spot to do skinning hot laps on during a big dump.

I wonder if you could become buds with the property owner to get the green light for access.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
raisingarizona wrote
I wonder if you could become buds with the property owner to get the green light for access.
That reminds me of when Jason and I went to Bobcat three years ago, we were greeted by a caretaker whose job was to shoo away people looking to access the former ski area. After a woman broke her leg at the summit, the property owners decided it'd be more cost effective to pay someone to be there round the clock than to get sued by a frivolous lawsuit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof

Ambulance chasing lawyers can mess up just about anything.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

decline02
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Don't know about property access, but I'm hoping to investigate in a couple weekends as I'll be in the neighborhood. Having only seen it from satellite view, it' doesn't appear to have many neighbors...

Map my run says it's a 0.6mi run @ 10.5 deg off blue hill (to the east) and a 0.5mi run @ 12.5 deg off the adjacent western knob. Not steep, but definitely looks worthy of a snow day visit.