classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MTB Advice

ADmiKe
This post was updated on .
Looking to pick up first real mountain bike - looking for some suggestions/advice

I'm 5'10" (165lbs) what's the best sized frame for someone of that size?

Also, what's are some good disc brake bikes in the $4-600 range? Not looking for anything crazy, just a hardtail to use for mixed terrain

A few friends have TREKs so I was going to look at a few of those - also been searching craigslist for a good deal.

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: MTB Advice

MC2 5678F589
First I should say the generic advice to go to a local bike shop and see if they can give you a good deal (especially if you wait until September or so). Bike shops are also good for help on maintenance stuff and some even give you free tune-ups for 6 months or a year or whatever. You might be surprised.

If I was buying a bike in that price range, though, I'd be looking for at a craigslist hardtail. I'm partial to 29ers, especially for hardtails, so that's what I'd go for.

I guess the brand of bike doesn't really matter (Trek vs. Specialized vs. Giant, who really cares?). I'd look for at least Deore components and at least Avid BB7 brakes (probably stay away from Hydraulics in your price range).

When you check out craigslist bikes, make sure there is no frame damage (even hairline fractures) and make absolutely sure it is the right size. Nothing kills a budding biker faster than riding a mis-sized bike.

If you don't want to go used, I guess I'd buy an "assemble on your own" bike from Airborne or Bikes Direct.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Local bike shop, especially if you have questions about frame size / fit.

Also, assuming you use your bike for what it is intended, you will eventually have maintenance needs.  You'll want a relationship with the LBS for maintenance unless you are comfortable performing that work yourself, i.e. derailleur adjustments, cable replacement, chain replacement, wheel truing, spoke replacements, etc.

Take a look at what you get in your price range, then see what the difference is if you move up in price to say $900 - $1000.  Like Matt, I'm partial to 29er hardtails.  Full suspension is not a possibility unless you move your price range up substantially.

I'd stay away from a used bike unless you know and trust the seller, or feel qualified to inspect the bike yourself.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
I<3ADK wrote
Looking to pick up first real mountain bike - looking for some suggestions/advice

I'm 5'10" (165lbs) what's the best sized frame for someone of that size?

Also, what's are some good disc brake bikes in the $4-600 range? Not looking for anything crazy, just a hardtail to use for mixed terrain

A few friends have TREKs so I was going to lok at a few of those - also been searching craigslist form a good deal.
Size: large or medium, depending on the bike brand. Like shoes, they fit differently. Learn what "standover" means. As mentioned above, try your local bike shop. If you were at our LBS and could fit a small frame, you could pick up a mint older Specialized 26" FS for $600.

Bike: lots of people are selling 26" bikes to get on the 29 or 27.5 train. Some are selling 29ers to go 27.5. It's all a bit bewildering but the bottom line is that this is a good time to buy a used bike. Check the buy/sell pages on Pinkbike to get the idea: pinkbike.com/buysell/
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I was reading up on some of the Gravity branded BikesDirect stuff - anyone have any actual experience or compared any of these to some of the more mainstream brands?  Opinions?

I found out that several of the components on the Gravity bikes are manufactured by the same companies that make stuff for TREK and similar name brands.

I figure if I go the new bike route, one of these would be a good bank for buck...

I'm not too worried about maintenance, tuning, and repairs, as I repair/build/modify/etc performance cars on the side so a bicycle shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

-Mike
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
All the info above is great.  Don't know anything about Gravity but my first bike was a Motobecane Fantom Comp.  I just gave it to a friend that wanted to get into riding and he's loving it
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
while I never demo skis before buying online I ALWAYS demo bikes prior to purchase. The geometries, fit and feel vary so much I couldn't imagine buying one on line.

I prefer to spend money on a good frame in terms of quality and design and go for a lower component spec - the logic being that by the time your riding enough to notice the difference in weight/performance they' all be broken or worn out any way and upgrades are sweet!

jamis, giant, gt all offer some great value while trek, specialized, santa cruz (while all great bikes!) not so much.
have fun I - love to bike and ski shop!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by Chris
Motobecane is the same as Gravity right?  Both BikesDirect units?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
jamis, giant, gt all offer some great value while trek, specialized, santa cruz (while all great bikes!) not so much.
have fun I - love to bike and ski shop!
KHS is another great value brand. They make frames for other bike companies, including that major brand that specializes () in suing people. Their top-o-the-line 650B FS is abut $900 less than a similarly equipped Salsa or Specialized at MSRP.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I also recommend the local bike store unless you are absolutely certain of exactly what you want. Fit is important and small differences in the geometry can make a big difference in comfort. The LBS can be very helpful here. Many of the brands are in the process of changing to next year's models so you may get a nice deal now.

You need to be careful with craigslist. I've seen a lot of really old bikes for sale for prices that are not very good. Old bikes are heavy and may have work components. Because the ads are free, sellers just keep reposting the same junk waiting for a sucker. Of course there can be some good deals as well, but you have to know your stuff.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Thinking of picking up this bike:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mountain_bikes/fantom29_x4.htm

Anyone with bike knowledge able to comment on the pros/cons based on the specs (or if you have experience with one first hand)

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
29er's - I have been so out of it. I had to look up what that was. My last MTB purchase was an Aluminum Gary Fischer KaiTai back in '94, traded in my steel stump jumper for something lighter. I never had a full suspension bike and now there are 29" bikes. Pretty soon you'll see a MTB version of a penny farthing .

My KaiTai is still hang'in in the shed, haven't ridden it in a long time - currently has road slicks on it. I think the last time I road it was three or four summers ago when I took it into Camp Santanoni.

But back to the OPs question, as was said - find a good bike shop if this is your first bike. Don't just hop on a bike and make two laps in the parking lot and say "it's perfect", ride it for at least 15 minutes and make sure you are comfortable and feel steady. Make sure the bike shop will adjust the bike for you after you buy it. They can change the stem if it is too long or too short, they can change the seat if it is uncomfortable, etc. Although I am not a MTB biker, I spend hours on my road bike, if the fit were no perfect it would be a suffer fest - I am sure an MTB is the same.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
I<3ADK wrote

Anyone with bike knowledge able to comment on the pros/cons based on the specs (or if you have experience with one first hand)

Thanks
I'm thinking about trading in my FS 26er toward a hard tail 29er. I think it might help me to climb better which I suck at. I’m also definitely going with a flat peddle. My current bike has clipless peddles and I know they have caused me some falls I couldn’t clip out of fast enough. I’m too old to be beat up, takes longer to heal up and ski season is coming up.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I<3ADK wrote

Thanks
Shit components, shit fork (a rigid fork would probably be better) and shit brakes.

But if that's your price range, then that's probably the best deal you're gonna get for a new bike UNLESS you find a good deal at a bike shop. And I'm serious about what I said earlier, see if you can find something on sale. Sometimes customers order a bike, then back out and the shop would rather sell it to you cheap just to get rid of it.

If I were you, I'd try to go two models up and get this one:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_comp_xii.htm

At least that one has Deore components and a halfway decent fork. I realize bike stuff is expensive (Remember, you also have to budget for a helmet, hydration pack, frame pump, floor pump, a couple of spare tubes, gloves, good bike shorts, etc.), but a bike that breaks all the time never gets ridden. I've gone pretty low end with components before, but I wouldn't go as low as you're thinking of going.

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I'm thinking about trading in my FS 26er toward a hard tail 29er. I think it might help me to climb better which I suck at. I’m also definitely going with a flat peddle. My current bike has clipless peddles and I know they have caused me some falls I couldn’t clip out of fast enough. I’m too old to be beat up, takes longer to heal up and ski season is coming up.
Weird reason to go to a 29er. If you said "small root clearance" or "maintain momentum", I could see it, but a 29er won't help you up the hills. 26ers spin up faster and, unless you're losing a lot of energy to pedal bob, I can't imagine a hardtail being THAT much better (I'm a huge 29er fan, with a full rigid and FS 29er, and I just don't see the reason to make that trade).

Also, clipless pedals are far superior, but you have to get used to it so clipping out becomes second nature. In fact, both of your problems can be solved with 2 words:

Ride more.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
mattchuck2 wrote
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Weird reason to go to a 29er. If you said "small root clearance" or "maintain momentum", I could see it, but a 29er won't help you up the hills. 26ers spin up faster and, unless you're losing a lot of energy to pedal bob, I can't imagine a hardtail being THAT much better (I'm a huge 29er fan, with a full rigid and FS 29er, and I just don't see the reason to make that trade).

Also, clipless pedals are far superior, but you have to get used to it so clipping out becomes second nature. In fact, both of your problems can be solved with 2 words:

Ride more.
The 29er part of the trade would be to move along faster. I've read that hardtails are lighter and make climbing a little easier.I was also thinking getting a new and different type of bike would just be a fun thing to do. Thanks for the advice... you've given me more to think about.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
HPD,

The new bike shop in town has the Yeti 29er hardtail to demo.   You should also demo a 27.5.  With all our tight switch backs the 27.5 may be your ticket.  

Shuttle day is up again this Sunday.  You could demo Yetis on PMD.  

Loosen your pedals up and practice on road getting out of them.  Heel twist away from bike...  clipless is so much more efficient...

And you be nuts to give up on full suspension!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
ScottyJack wrote
HPD,

The new bike shop in town has the Yeti 29er hardtail to demo.   You should also demo a 27.5.  With all our tight switch backs the 27.5 may be your ticket.  

Shuttle day is up again this Sunday.  You could demo Yetis on PMD.  

Loosen your pedals up and practice on road getting out of them.  Heel twist away from bike...  clipless is so much more efficient...

And you be nuts to give up on full suspension!!
Thanks SJ, I'd like to demo, but I won't be around Sunday.

I didn't know that a new shop was up and running in the Bing Wink. Is Mark from Leap Off running it? Where is it?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
yeah.  he opened in June.  its right at Up A Creek.  He has a fleet of Yeti demo bikes to try.  stop in any time.  Def try and hit up a town shuttle day.  they run every other Sunday through Sept.  You would like PMD, but not so much on a hardtail....

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
"Shit components, shit fork (a rigid fork would probably be better) and shit brakes."

Would you mind elaborating on this a bit more?  Not that I'm questioning your comment, but I just want to learn more about the different levels of components, what to stay away from, why, etc.  I'm new to buying "real" mountain bikes, only had the usual basic ones as a young kid.

Also, like most other gear purchasing situations, the more $$ the better components, but assuming this will be a weekender thing for fun when I can make it up to the mountains (im in NJ) and then using it for exercise purposes back at home (we have some OK MTB trails near me), I don't necessarily need anything too expensive or high performing, for now at least.  At same time, don't want to buy a POS.  Trying to find a balance.

Thanks
Mike