classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
105 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MTB Hardtail vs Full Suspension

JasonWx
Harvey wrote
From what I can tell the diff between the $1000 and the $700 Giant is Rock Shox and Deore and brakes.  The Deore did seem like a better shifter to me.

Here's Giant frame sizing chart, looks like I'm at the small end of medium:

so am I, that said, Cannondale doesn't make a 29er with a small frame....
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
A lot of them don't.  the 29ers screws with the geometry and a lot come in medium and up.  Just see what's close.  If you want a faster bike round up.  If you want a bike that handles better round down.

Harv your getting there.  Look at the giant 29er with the rock shock and deore..now see what the extra cost is to have a rear shock on there.   If you are going to spend a grand spend another grand and get the full suspension.  If you do you will be spending a lot more time at the cabin in the summers then your going to have to get your wife on and the kid.  Rip the band aid off...let it happen.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
My wife is pretty level, I don't remember complaining about her. 90% of our "ridiculous spending" is skiing related, I'm not giving it up.

My bike is 15 years old and needs most of what I spent on it originally to ride like new.  I ground the drivetrain down by riding it.

We can't all be brilliant inventors who are rich and awesome.

I thought you said you had ten pairs of skis. You don't have enough info to take potshots at my spending.
Let me remind you of what you said:

Harvey wrote
I checked out the MMM forum and a recurring theme is that you have to have full spouse buyin or be single. I'd say I have partial spouse buy in, we do an OK job of saving, better than most, but nowhere near MMM or MC levels.  I get itchy when we flush money down the crapper. But then I don't consider any expenditure on skiing to be wasted and that's not exactly objective.
As far as your awesome comment - thanks, I'd like to think I was awesome but I know better - if you think I am, well thanks again.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Great thread to get the spring/summer rolling. I too am looking to get a mountain bike for mostly XC and not break the bank. This seems to be a good compromise of quality components that doesn't kill the wallet:

http://archive.diamondback.com/bikes/mtn-hardtail/overdrive-comp-12/

The retail on it is $1200 but I can get it for about $750. I am a big dude - 6' 2" and 250+ so I am looking at an XL frame. Interestingly this bike does come in a small frame even though its a 29er.

Any reasonable thoughts from the gallery would be appreciated.

D
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I am partial towards the Cannondales. I like that I can lock out the front fork from the handle bar..
My dealer is also willing to haggle with me..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I stand by that comment, Zelda and I don't agree on everything but she's pretty frugal. As far as retiring early, I chose Neve instead, no regrets.  Also my apologies if you thought I meant to imply that you actually are awesome, that was not my intent.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Yo Harv did you go out and get your FS LT 29er yet?  Come on dude! perfect riding is passing you by.  Just like a band aid.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Just waitin on your check bro, lookin in my mailbox every day
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Hey I use your links you must of gotten at least 35 40 cents.  Think of it this way. You need the bike to experience mountain bike properly to expand your blog.  Your summer hits have to bring the overall number IE rev. down.  Its almost a must.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
tjf1967 wrote
Hey I use your links
I KNEW I could count on you TJ

I can almost feel the bouncy bouncy on my full suspench now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Bought Neve a new bike for her birthday yesterday. Saw the Specialized Stump Jumper 29 while I was in the store. The thing is a work of art. $42 hunge, but a beauty.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
  Is that what you got her?  Now your talking.  Wait till you ride the trails on it.  Your Kona is gonna feel like a model T
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
Bought Neve a new bike for her birthday yesterday. Saw the Specialized Stump Jumper 29 while I was in the store. The thing is a work of art. $42 hunge, but a beauty.
A lot of people are down on Specialized as a company but they sure do make some sexy-looking bikes.

Stumpy S-Works FSR 29, a mere $8900:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
LOL TJ no I did not by my 9-year-old a Stump Jumper.

SBR... why don't people like Specialized?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
SBR... why don't people like Specialized?
Short version: they are a big player in the bike industry and are often viewed as a corporate bully. If a bike shop is Spec dealer, they can't dabble in the line, they must commit to a high dollar value order across the entire product line. If the shop wants to sell another brand of bikes, it must be approved by Specialized. And so on. Then there was the whole Cafe Roubaix stroy, which really made them look bad, though had a good ending. Summary of that here.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Harvey wrote
SBR... what don't people like Specialized?
The War on Specialized
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for the links guys. Doesn't seem that evil to me. You got to like a company where the CEO can look at something and change the approach based on common sense?  Am I missing something?

Our new local shop is Specialized and Giant. The owner told me he went all in with Giant vs Specialized because "terms of the deal were better."
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
spec, santa cruz, pivot etc are some sweet bikes but come with a $ premium. giant price point much more "value" driven
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

Father's Day
Reply | Threaded
|