Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MTB Trail Work Updates

Ethan Snow
This post was updated on .
raisingarizona wrote
Not to derail but I'd like to see more updates Ethan of your trail work,
Here's what I'm working on currently. This trail is going to be a flow trail. We built a lot of it last season, but we are finishing the upper section now. It is basically a machine built trail, but it should be super fast.   We have plenty of natural trails with drops and stuff currently.

This section is ultra manufactured, because it goes through an area that gets a lot of runoff during heavy rains. I don't want the trail becoming a creek bed.

And this berm is just roughed in. Going to finish it by hand tomorrow.

Damn, I think this is going to flow like a dream. Gonna buff it out tomorrow.

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Plunge: The Catskill Beast?

JasonWx
How many miles of trail do you have?
looks great..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Agree. Cool project. Impressive job Ethan.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Looks great man! It's so much fun to sculpt trail. I would think that with your limited vertical a flow trail is the best option.

Have you thought of building any berm to berm transfer jumps (I think that's what they are called)? I really like that snappy stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Yes, a flow trail definitely takes a (semi) short run and makes it much longer and more fun by wandering across the fall lines rather than straight down. It"s also a ton of work to construct them properly, make sure they drain water properly, and to built proper berms and transitions. A berm-to-berm transfer jump is something I will have to think about since I am in construction mode right now. as far as trail miles, I have a total of about 3/4 mile of alpine skiing trails. For mountain bike trails, maybe a mile worth of single track and flow trail. Although that is being significanlty increased now that we own a larger piece of land as of December.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
still fun to do laps on...

Hey AZ, I plan on riding Gooseberry Mesa the first week in June..Have you ever been there?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
No, I haven't been there but I hear it's awesome. I think thunder mountain is near there as well as Brian Head ski area. You could make it a killer trip mixing those into it. Brian Head ski area has a small bike park but the shuttle runs are epic, 5k of fast and technical descents.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
Thunder Mountain is off the charts. Harv, I still want to do a front page on Thunder one of these days.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
If you stop hijacking my Beast thread with your flow Trails  I'll consider it :-)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
No, I haven't been there but I hear it's awesome. I think thunder mountain is near there as well as Brian Head ski area. You could make it a killer trip mixing those into it. Brian Head ski area has a small bike park but the shuttle runs are epic, 5k of fast and technical descents.
Will try , staying in Springdale and doing the family Zion thing...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
My local mt. bike crew went to Gooseberry a few years ago...I, unfortunately, couldn't join them, but I can get you some beta, if you're interested.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Marcski wrote
My local mt. bike crew went to Gooseberry a few years ago...I, unfortunately, couldn't join them, but I can get you some beta, if you're interested.
That would be great..Could you ask them if I can do this ride solo? or do I need to sign up with a group.
Thanks!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I'm guessing you have been to Plateau country before but I'll throw this out there anyways, drink lots and lots of water. When you think you have had enough, double it! This climate just pulls everything out of ya.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
raisingarizona wrote
I'm guessing you have been to Plateau country before but I'll throw this out there anyways, drink lots and lots of water. When you think you have had enough, double it! This climate just pulls everything out of ya.
I learned my lesson riding Sedona last year..
Thanks!!!
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ethan Snow
Is this post Plattekill? I'm going to break this out, you'll be the owner, pls suggest a title.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Do it! I'll post updates on the work we do here this summer.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Yes!  in the early stages of planning a  trip out in the fall  
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by JasonWx
His response via text...and I quote (other than the hotlink...I added that for your ready reference):

"Been like eight years.  Just make sure you have a good all mountain rig and don't ride alone.  Stuff is well marked.  What I do suggest is go up to Brian's Head for a super duper long down hill run.  We were driven up there by https://www.Mountain Bike Buddies , who also had bikes for us.  Can send some great pics.  Really special run."