MTB and listening to tunes

18 messages Options
Harvey Harvey
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

MTB and listening to tunes

I've been riding the trail system near our house.  It's pretty big, and while it gets plenty of use, I'd say 95% of the time there is no one within earshot.

This weekend I included tunes. I love it, but it's rude to play my music outloud and I want to fix that.

What I've been doing is rudimentary and far from ideal.  Go to YouTube find a nice long tune I want to listen to (usually Miles Davis or something not too invasive) hit play and drop the phone in my chest pocket, listening to the muffled sound.

There's a lot wrong with this system beyond the fact that it's not private.  The free version of YouTube will not allow you to lock your phone, so often the rubbing of the phone against the pocket just stops the tunes.  The Premium version fixes that but it's $12 a month.

I need a better set up with ear buds and some kinds of music that I can play from my phone. I rather not buy another device or carry two devices. Data usage is not an issue.

What is the hot setup for streaming music and listening with earplug attached to my droid?

Advice welcome.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

Re: MTB and listening to tunes

Pandora + One good bud
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Have you heard of this thing called Spotify. The kids can’t live without it I hear
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
JasonWx JasonWx
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harv thanks for not being that guy..I can't tell you how many time someone is riding with speaker in their back pack..

MC bud suggestion looks cool... i personally can't ride with music , too distracting and would hate to loose my airpods..
"Peace and Love"
tjf1967 tjf1967
Reply |

Any wireless ear buds will do.  I have a pair that are so old I don't remember their name.  Don't you get free ones with your apple phones now?   Pandora....and if you really want to grove tune into the sublime channel.  
MC2 5678F589 MC2 5678F589
Reply |

In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
MC bud suggestion looks cool... i personally can't ride with music , too distracting and would hate to loose my airpods..
I hate riding with music, too. I like the sounds of being in nature.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Maybe I'll get sick of it.  My ride right now is about 2 miles of single track, another two miles through a park, and the maybe 6 miles on gravel. I don't push it on the single track or in the park (too many people). I find on the gravel if I have some upbeat music I get more exercise by riding faster.

Also FWIW I am not talking about riding with a boom box, it's a cell phone in my pocket. I'd bet you have to be within 20 feet of me to hear it at all. But there are times in the park when I ride super slow to give people the room to keep distance, so I could be within 20 feet for a while. I've been switching it on and off, and with the free version of YouTube it's a PITA.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Pandora + One good bud
This looks like a good solution.

What is the difference between pandora and spotify?
witch hobble witch hobble
Reply |

Harvey wrote
MC2 5678F589 wrote
Pandora + One good bud
This looks like a good solution.

What is the difference between pandora and spotify?
Spotify > Pandora

I switched about 4 years ago, so can’t speak for current Pandora.  But at the time Spotify  had much more selection and much better algorithm for finding things that my earholes enjoy.
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

I don't ski with music and I don't ride with it either.