MTV - Winter Break - Hunter Mountain

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MTV - Winter Break - Hunter Mountain

Highpeaksdrifter
I grew up skiing at Hunter so I had to watch this. Actually I fast forwarded over half, but it was easy to get the idea. It is Jersey Shore in winter. A bunch of 20 somethings sharing a house at Hunter for a month. There was very little on snow footage in the first episode, but it was as expected.

In this first show pretty much every single negative stereotype that people typically project on the average Hunter skier/rider was reinforced.

P.T. Barnum said their is no such thing as bad publicity, but if I was Peak Resorts I would not be happy. Anyone else see it?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: MTV - Winter Break - Hunter Mountain

Jon951
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
I grew up skiing at Hunter so I had to watch this. Actually I fast forwarded over half, but it was easy to get the idea. It is Jersey Shore in winter. A bunch of 20 somethings sharing a house at Hunter for a month. There was very little on snow footage in the first episode, but it was as expected.

In this first show pretty much every single negative stereotype that people typically project on the average Hunter skier/rider was reinforced.

P.T. Barnum said their is no such thing as bad publicity, but if I was Peak Resorts I would not be happy. Anyone else see it?
Heard about this gem but haven't seen it yet, but can just imagine. Funny they decided to recreate this show at a winter venue. BTW, Sorrintini (the Situation) was one of the babysitters at our gym. To add to this, Snookie is married to a good friends cousin.

Would imagine the F bomb is dropped every other word. You know what they say....you know someone's from jersey if they used the F word twice in the same sentence. Hunter lift lines even more. Sounds like the perfect location to produce this show.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Didn't even know they were making this show.  Now I HAVE to check it out and see the stupidity.

These clowns spent alot of time in my general area down here at the 'jersey shore' (Monmouth County) filming the original show.

For the record, in my opinion, this is not a depiction of the real locals in NJ beach areas.  We don't like ppl who act and look like this...they tend to cluster in cetain places we avoid.  Most of them aren't even from NJ, but yet, are from NYC and surrounding areas.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
So it turns out stereo types suck.  Even if stereo types accurately describe 50% of a group (which is doubtful IMO) they are still a disservice.

Must be 100,000 people a year visit Hunter (~500,000 skier visits?), seems impossible to generalize about a group that large.

I haven't seen it. I don't think we have MTV, not sure.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Hilarious post over on AZ about the storm:

AZ poster wrote
Quick side question - given the forecast, should I drive out to Hunter for skiing tomorrow vs. going to VT?

And do I have to fight someone while there or is that optional?
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Dang, AZ is still a thing?  Is greg and his mogul stars back?  That was some easy trolling
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
I have no idea what AZ really is all about because I was never on there...but this guy Greg from AZ randomly posts in threads on TGR with this stock sales pitch post with a little twist on it each time to slightly adhere to the thread subject matter.  Then everyone responds "well it didn't take long for Greg to post" or something like that.  His posts are usually "Are you sick of being called a JONG on TGR?  Come over to AZ!" etc etc
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The Greg on TGR isn't the real Greg from AZ, it's kind of a running joke/alias. Greg got fed up with the internetz forum thing and cashed in big, selling to a casual skier for some pretty nice coin (Greg approached me, wanted ~$130,000). That was maybe 4 or 5 years ago. The thing the new owner didn't seem to understand is that with active management the value (traffic) has dropped.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Mogul stars --LOL

And yea, the joke is truly on that kid who bought AZ!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
The Greg on TGR isn't the real Greg from AZ, it's kind of a running joke/alias. Greg got fed up with the internetz forum thing and cashed in big, selling to a casual skier for some pretty nice coin (Greg approached me, wanted ~$130,000). That was maybe 4 or 5 years ago. The thing the new owner didn't seem to understand is that with active management the value (traffic) has dropped.
Interesting.  It is funny
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Ski Sundown!!!

Hey, the moguls there might be pretty good this weekend?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I'm still laughing at "Greg and his mogul stars"

There were some serious laughs over there thanks to Scotty --- man he would get Greg goin

that's where "moderhater" came from. imo some of scotty's best work
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Harv - maybe you should try to sell NYSkiBlog to snoloco's Dad for 2 bazillionty dollars!
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
haha AZ - free GSS!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
Nah.....they should just have a ski-off for it!!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The stereotype fits, come on! You know it!

Let’s be real, there is no other place like it and it’s filled with weekend warrior Joey’s.

Don’t get butt hurt but don’t try to bullshit anyone either. If you’re a regular regular than you might not even see it I guess. :D

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Harvey wrote
Harv - maybe you should try to sell NYSkiBlog to snoloco's Dad for 2 bazillionty dollars!
If that Greg guys was cool he would of shared his profit with those who drove traffic to his site.  

Free GSS!  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
The stereotype fits, come on! You know it!

Let’s be real, there is no other place like it and it’s filled with weekend warrior Joey’s.

Don’t get butt hurt but don’t try to bullshit anyone either. If you’re a regular regular than you might not even see it I guess. :D
Hey, every skier deserves to be judged on his or her individual merits but, on the other hand, you're not wrong either.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
YUKON CORNELIUS wrote
Harvey wrote
To me NYSkiBlog is priceless! Certainly worth more than 2 bazillionty.

You guys want sno in charge around here, that is something to consider. I RESPECT! the will of the people.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
GrrilledSteezeSandwich the effin couch skier  bwaaaaaaa hahahha. That was some  fun chit ,

then ole AndyZ broke away and gave us  the NoShit ski forum with the Disembowler, hahahah then Brownsville Brooklyn ..( same dude ) . RACK ITl lil man !    Or hey  can ya take it to the hoop big man ?  Him and his beloved family     Seriously whacked good times

RIP ANDY
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.