classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mad River 1/22/11

skimore
This post was updated on .
Got roped into MR due to the group we had. A couple of inches of new on not very much base. Thin cover everywhere. Woods had rocks and stumps poking all over the place.Trails were were scraped off icy hardpack. I thought it blew. Others were raving about conditions. The people we were with thought we were nuts for leaving. If those were good conditions I would quit skiing. Two of us made 3 runs and bailed to the west side of the spine for that afternoon and Sunday

Here's a few pics from the west side after we bailed

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mad River 1/22

Powderqueen
Looks like you found the goods!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by skimore
Take a look folks. You are about to see ...

skimore wrote
... skimore getting SKUNKED.

Looks like a tough day at the office.

Glad it worked out for you in the end.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Geez, that looks great.  Was there that much of a contrast in conditions between MRG and the west side of the Greens?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Adk Jeff wrote
Geez, that looks great.  Was there that much of a contrast in conditions between MRG and the west side of the Greens?
yes
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
My friends who ski at MRG said the skiing was very good there this past weekend...but they don't ski on the trails that much. The goods are there, you just have to know where to go to find them. If you had skied with a local, you might have had a different opinion.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Powderqueen wrote
My friends who ski at MRG said the skiing was very good there this past weekend...but they don't ski on the trails that much. The goods are there, you just have to know where to go to find them. If you had skied with a local, you might have had a different opinion.
 I'ved skied there many times and enjoy the place, but not that weekend. We skied with someone who skis there every weekend. We were hitting untracked goods, but there isn't  any base. More than one of us thought we had a nice line only to hit a hidden stump or rock. I doubled ejected after hitting something and then landed on a stump taking a kidney shot. I have a softball size bruise and maybe a cracked rib that hurts to take a deep breath. Someone else was ripping a untracked line only to take a stump in the shin above the boot. Yes you could pussy foot around and get untracked, but if you were going to let'em go....... you were asking for problems

Some thought it was excellent skiing. Not me.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
 You could visibly see outlines of stumps and rocks with snow on them. Not such an issue if theres some base covering them. Was not the case. The creekbeds were'nt even completly filled in.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
skimore wrote
I doubled ejected after hitting something and then landed on a stump taking a kidney shot. I have a softball size bruise and maybe a cracked rib that hurts to take a deep breath...
Very sorry to hear this skimore.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
I agree with skimore's view of the conditions at MRG right now.

Lucky Luke, his kids and I made it to MRG yesterday. Great fun as always, but not as good as Lucky expected (I've been skiing local all season, so I didn't really have an option).

We've hit first tracks on the road leaving Lucky's home in Bromont QC to one of the first tracks down Fall-Dice. We divided our time about 50-50 between on-map and off-map skiing. Yeah. we skied powder but there was a bunch of stuff hidden under the snow. Base underneath was fairly hard also.

There will be a TR up of Ski Mad World at one point. I'm currently running one week late in TRs, so there are three outings in the pipe. Shouldn't happen tonight as I'm off skiing the next two nights. Oh yeah, there is also that Epic TR at Whiteface to put on-line too.
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
MadPatSki wrote
There will be a TR up of Ski Mad World at one point. I'm currently running one week late in TRs
Here it is:

January 25, 2011: Roll back and get back to MRG!!!

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/mad-river-glen-vt-jan-25-2011-roll-back-and-get-back/
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography