Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mad River Glen 1-20-15

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
Bluebird to boot, nice score guys.Thanks for the pics GR, looks amazing.
It was amazing.  Im positive it was worth taking a chance at getting fired to experience it.  Midweek powder days rock!  Ski on lift all day long.  Everything fell into place once we heard they shut down at 1 yesterday over power outages and it snowed all evening.  Originally planned Jay but, called an audible last evening.  Wind also played a factor in our decision.  I heard the temps cooled slowly allowing the snow to lose some moisture and have a high quality.  The new snow overnight was very light.  Not the deepest powder this season but, easily my favorite day of the season so far.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
 Looks nice and quiet there too
Reply | Threaded
|

Grillman
Good for you...that looked fantastic
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Wow! I'm hitting MRG tomorrow.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Still plenty of leftovers.  Have fun!
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
Best day of the season! Ill do that drive anytime for that kind of glorious snow!
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Wow. Speechless! Totally. We wanted to stay back in VT..  Awesome stuff! Super Jealous!
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
sweet day
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Here is a photo from Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Incredible.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
We have so many fond memories of that mountain. If you are ever up on the weekends - look for Chris Crowley who is also a Mountain Host.

Chris is very close friend of mine. He and his family have been skiing there for over 50 years and all of his kids have grown up skiing that mountain and I assure you, these kids can rip and take you down runs that you have never seen before.  Every time we go, it is a new adventure.  We are hoping when we are there next month, that we can finally do Octopuses Garden. Were you able to hit that yesterday?

Single chair. Nothing like it.  
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Good job guys
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421782837&feature=player_embedded&x-yt-cl=84359240&v=S4orwm12HrE

The MRG video snow report for today says that Warren Miller's film crew was at MRG yesterday.  I had no idea, we must have been thinking the same thing when we changed our plans to go there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
In reply to this post by Skiray
Skiray wrote
We have so many fond memories of that mountain. If you are ever up on the weekends - look for Chris Crowley who is also a Mountain Host.

Chris is very close friend of mine. He and his family have been skiing there for over 50 years and all of his kids have grown up skiing that mountain and I assure you, these kids can rip and take you down runs that you have never seen before.  Every time we go, it is a new adventure.  We are hoping when we are there next month, that we can finally do Octopuses Garden. Were you able to hit that yesterday?

Single chair. Nothing like it.
To be honest, I don't think I would ever show up there on a weekend.  With their lift capabilities, it would just be too far to drive to wait in line all day.  I believe you that those kids rip.  There were lots of kids tearing it up there.  It's a place that definitely produces good skiers.  That would be pretty cool though because it seems like there is a lot of area to explore there.  I've only been there 2 times now so I don't know the mountain real well.  I almost never see any signs either so I have no idea if I skied Octopuses Garden.  I do plan to go back a few more times, I have 3 more tickets to use up there.  But, midweek is so peaceful.  I go runs without seeing people.  We ski on lift every time we get to the base.  It really is awesome.  I feel bad for all you 9-5ers.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Glade Runner wrote
To be honest, I don't think I would ever show up there on a weekend.
It really isn't too bad on most weekends unless it is a holiday or a powder day. I skied this past Sunday and waits were not bad at all. I'd had worse lines on mid-week powder days, actually. MRG is one of those places that everyone wants to ski when the snow is really good. So lines are usually conditions dependant. If it hasn't snow recently, lines aren't bad on a weekend even if conditions are still good packed powder. And if you get their for first chair, you can usually get at least 3 runs ski on the Single before a line even builds up.

That said, if you plan to ski all day, how many runs are you really going to do at MRG even without a line? The mountain beats you up pretty good, if you're doing it right. A 15 minute wait for the Single is a good rest.

Also, don't forget about early and late season powder day weekends. Before Christmas and pretty much any weekend in March or April can be insanely good with no lines once folks start hanging up their skis. Some of my best days at MRG have been on weekends early and late season...

Bottom line is don't rule out weekends, you can avoid insane liftlines unless you go holiday or powder day weekend during prime time and mid-season. Also, don't forget about "sleeper" powder days. I've skied there a few weekends when it was really deep and short lines when the upslope machine kicks in without a major storm to get people's attention.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
riverc0il wrote
Glade Runner wrote
To be honest, I don't think I would ever show up there on a weekend.
It really isn't too bad on most weekends unless it is a holiday or a powder day.
or telefest wkwnd
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow
Reply | Threaded
|

where's the snow