Mad River Glen, VT: 12/31/11

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mad River Glen, VT: 12/31/11

miker92
I showed up to the party 24 hours late. After hearing about opening day, I had to get up there. It didn't matter that I had to be at work at a hotel in Saratoga Springs at 5pm. I left my house in Saratoga before dawn and was off the mountain by 1pm. There were periods of fog and light rain all day. The snow was sticky like peanut butter, with plenty of rocky chunks to watch out for. That being said, I'll take avoidable bare spots over ice any day, and there was certainly no ice. Gotta love the atmosphere at MRG- everyone was just so happy to be there that the snow almost didn't matter.

I made a brief appearance in the Video Snow Report.

Here's a quick POV video from my first run on Fall Line. Lighting and visibility were pretty bad, but you can still see what the snow was like. You'll notice my goggles on the left- I had to put them up on my helmet because I couldn't see with them on.

I got to take a couple runs with marketing director Eric Friedman, who showed me one of the new park areas in action. They decided to move the lower mountain park, the DL, to the top of the Practice Slope lift line. I think this was a good call- now both parks will be easy to lap with immediate lift access, and it's further out of the way of other ski traffic than the previous location on Rockefeller's.

I have pictures of people skiing the new features in the DL park, as well as new shots of the Lark Park features, which are nearing completion. Unfortunately, I can't find the USB cable for my camera right now, so those pics will be added to this thread ASAP.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mad River Glen, VT: 12/31/11

Harvey
Administrator
miker92 wrote
I'll take avoidable bare spots over ice any day...
Me too.

Looks very skiable in the vid.

Which one is you?

Interested to see the rest of the pics.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Harvey44 wrote
Which one is you?
First person to ski by in the first video, skier with the camera in the second.
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
miker92 wrote
I'll take avoidable bare spots over ice any day...
Me too.

Looks very skiable in the vid.

Which one is you?

Interested to see the rest of the pics.
I'm in the opening shot, skiing past the camera to the left.

I still can't find the USB cable and Sony makes their memory cards a special size that doesn't fit in my card reader. They're good pics and it's bothering me that I can't get them up.