Magic vs Mt Snow this Thursday 2-13-20

41 messages Options
sig sig
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Magic vs Mt Snow this Thursday 2-13-20

Cornhead wrote

Oh man, now she'll never go to Magic. My son had a snowboard with those wavy edges. I did realize they were making skis like that too.
actually happened at plattekill. good time had by all
NYSnowflake NYSnowflake
Reply |

In reply to this post by Zippy
I do have a free pass that is good until the end of this season for Magic. So this Thursday is not the only day I could go. Do folks think that the snow pack/base will improve as the season continues? Will it be better at the end of February or beginning of March? I could enjoy Magic then and still try to save my skis!
NYSnowflake NYSnowflake
Reply |

In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
You could also stick to snow making trails only.

Still from the sound of it you should go to Mt Snow.  One big downside, mega-pass crowds, will probably not be a factor on a Thursday.

Time vs money: Someday, when you are old like me, you'll ski whatever is in front of you with whatever you got.
I could save my free Magic pass for another day, maybe a Saturday, hopefully after they get more snow!

What trails at Magic have snowmaking besides Talisman? It’s hard to tell from the website.
NYSnowflake NYSnowflake
Reply |

In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
Cornhead wrote

Oh man, now she'll never go to Magic. My son had a snowboard with those wavy edges. I did realize they were making skis like that too.
actually happened at plattekill. good time had by all
After the skis get damaged like that doesn’t water get inside and ruin them or make them unsafe/unstable?
NYSnowflake NYSnowflake
Reply |

In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
That said, let me ask.....have you been to either before?

When my teenage son got back from a trip last year to Mt. Snow (and Stratton) with his friends his first observation to me was....”Dad, Vermont skiing sucks.”

I’ve skied those mountains before, and in keeping with the Brownski sentiment....it’s all good, because skiing is fun.  But I did tell my son I’d take him to do some real Vermont skiing (of which Magic qualifies).
I have never been to Magic. I have been to Mt. Snow many, many times. Other VT mountains I have skied are Bromley, Stratton, Pico, Stowe, and Sugarbush.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by NYSnowflake
I act all tough, but I've never skied something that looked like that.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

NYSnowflake wrote
JTG4eva! wrote

When my teenage son got back from a trip last year to Mt. Snow (and Stratton) with his friends his first observation to me was....”Dad, Vermont skiing sucks.”

I’ve skied those mountains before, and in keeping with the Brownski sentiment....it’s all good, because skiing is fun.  But I did tell my son I’d take him to do some real Vermont skiing (of which Magic qualifies).
I have never been to Magic. I have been to Mt. Snow many, many times. Other VT mountains I have skied are Bromley, Stratton, ...
Sorry.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

NYSnowflake wrote
I have been to Mt. Snow many, many times. Other VT mountains I have skied are Bromley, Stratton, Pico, Stowe, and Sugarbush.
Did you say you'd been skiing two years? That's a pretty solid list.

How'd you decide to start skiing?  Seems like there must be a good story in there.

You a writer?

https://nyskiblog.com/connect/writers-wanted/
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
NYSnowflake NYSnowflake
Reply |

Harvey wrote
NYSnowflake wrote
I have been to Mt. Snow many, many times. Other VT mountains I have skied are Bromley, Stratton, Pico, Stowe, and Sugarbush.
Did you say you'd been skiing two years? That's a pretty solid list.

How'd you decide to start skiing?  Seems like there must be a good story in there.

You a writer?

https://nyskiblog.com/connect/writers-wanted/
Yes this is my second season skiing. I get all over the place with the OC Ski Club and now the Epic Pass.

I decided to take up downhill skiing while sitting at the bar of The Cottage on mirror Lake after hiking in the high peaks. My husband was watching a University of Michigan football game and I was bored looking around the bar, and noticed the giant poster bragging about how awesome Whiteface was for skiing and how it had a larger vertical drop than many mountains out west. I had hiked Whiteface and thought it might be cool to ski it too. I told my husband that I had heard it was easy to learn to ski on the new parabolic skis and that we should get skis and try it. He was all for it, and the rest is history!

I am a published author but it’s all academic research. So not really a writer.
NYSnowflake NYSnowflake
Reply |

In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
NYSnowflake wrote
JTG4eva! wrote

I have never been to Magic. I have been to Mt. Snow many, many times. Other VT mountains I have skied are Bromley, Stratton, ...
Sorry.
I actually think Bromley is a total blast. There’s never a line, and I love carving fast turns on Twister when it’s empty, which it always is! I also had a moguls/ungroomed terrain lesson there on the black diamond side that was the right amount of challenge for me as I move up beyond the groomers.

Stratton is Okay. I have had some fun on the wide open blue and black groomers skiing with friends there too.