42 messages Options
sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Magic vs Mt Snow this Thursday 2-13-20

sig
Cornhead wrote

Oh man, now she'll never go to Magic. My son had a snowboard with those wavy edges. I did realize they were making skis like that too.
actually happened at plattekill. good time had by all
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
In reply to this post by Zippy
I do have a free pass that is good until the end of this season for Magic. So this Thursday is not the only day I could go. Do folks think that the snow pack/base will improve as the season continues? Will it be better at the end of February or beginning of March? I could enjoy Magic then and still try to save my skis!
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
You could also stick to snow making trails only.

Still from the sound of it you should go to Mt Snow.  One big downside, mega-pass crowds, will probably not be a factor on a Thursday.

Time vs money: Someday, when you are old like me, you'll ski whatever is in front of you with whatever you got.
I could save my free Magic pass for another day, maybe a Saturday, hopefully after they get more snow!

What trails at Magic have snowmaking besides Talisman? It’s hard to tell from the website.
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
Cornhead wrote

Oh man, now she'll never go to Magic. My son had a snowboard with those wavy edges. I did realize they were making skis like that too.
actually happened at plattekill. good time had by all
After the skis get damaged like that doesn’t water get inside and ruin them or make them unsafe/unstable?
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
That said, let me ask.....have you been to either before?

When my teenage son got back from a trip last year to Mt. Snow (and Stratton) with his friends his first observation to me was....”Dad, Vermont skiing sucks.”

I’ve skied those mountains before, and in keeping with the Brownski sentiment....it’s all good, because skiing is fun.  But I did tell my son I’d take him to do some real Vermont skiing (of which Magic qualifies).
I have never been to Magic. I have been to Mt. Snow many, many times. Other VT mountains I have skied are Bromley, Stratton, Pico, Stowe, and Sugarbush.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by NYSnowflake
I act all tough, but I've never skied something that looked like that.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
NYSnowflake wrote
JTG4eva! wrote

When my teenage son got back from a trip last year to Mt. Snow (and Stratton) with his friends his first observation to me was....”Dad, Vermont skiing sucks.”

I’ve skied those mountains before, and in keeping with the Brownski sentiment....it’s all good, because skiing is fun.  But I did tell my son I’d take him to do some real Vermont skiing (of which Magic qualifies).
I have never been to Magic. I have been to Mt. Snow many, many times. Other VT mountains I have skied are Bromley, Stratton, ...
Sorry.
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
NYSnowflake wrote
I have been to Mt. Snow many, many times. Other VT mountains I have skied are Bromley, Stratton, Pico, Stowe, and Sugarbush.
Did you say you'd been skiing two years? That's a pretty solid list.

How'd you decide to start skiing?  Seems like there must be a good story in there.

You a writer?

https://nyskiblog.com/connect/writers-wanted/
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
Harvey wrote
NYSnowflake wrote
I have been to Mt. Snow many, many times. Other VT mountains I have skied are Bromley, Stratton, Pico, Stowe, and Sugarbush.
Did you say you'd been skiing two years? That's a pretty solid list.

How'd you decide to start skiing?  Seems like there must be a good story in there.

You a writer?

https://nyskiblog.com/connect/writers-wanted/
Yes this is my second season skiing. I get all over the place with the OC Ski Club and now the Epic Pass.

I decided to take up downhill skiing while sitting at the bar of The Cottage on mirror Lake after hiking in the high peaks. My husband was watching a University of Michigan football game and I was bored looking around the bar, and noticed the giant poster bragging about how awesome Whiteface was for skiing and how it had a larger vertical drop than many mountains out west. I had hiked Whiteface and thought it might be cool to ski it too. I told my husband that I had heard it was easy to learn to ski on the new parabolic skis and that we should get skis and try it. He was all for it, and the rest is history!

I am a published author but it’s all academic research. So not really a writer.
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
In reply to this post by Johnnyonthespot
Johnnyonthespot wrote
NYSnowflake wrote
JTG4eva! wrote

I have never been to Magic. I have been to Mt. Snow many, many times. Other VT mountains I have skied are Bromley, Stratton, ...
Sorry.
I actually think Bromley is a total blast. There’s never a line, and I love carving fast turns on Twister when it’s empty, which it always is! I also had a moguls/ungroomed terrain lesson there on the black diamond side that was the right amount of challenge for me as I move up beyond the groomers.

Stratton is Okay. I have had some fun on the wide open blue and black groomers skiing with friends there too.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
NYSnowflake wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
NYSnowflake wrote
JTG4eva! wrote

Sorry.
I actually think Bromley is a total blast. There’s never a line, and I love carving fast turns on Twister when it’s empty, which it always is! I also had a moguls/ungroomed terrain lesson there on the black diamond side that was the right amount of challenge for me as I move up beyond the groomers.

Stratton is Okay. I have had some fun on the wide open blue and black groomers skiing with friends there too.
Don't listen to these jaded clowns. Any day skiing at any area north of the NJ border is a great day.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
x10003q wrote
Don't listen to these jaded clowns. Any day skiing at any area north of the NJ border is a great day.
Of course you are right.  If you are sliding it’s a great day.  That, and it’s hard for me to knock any mountain, VT or otherwise.  Heck, Bromley is where it all began for me, our Uncle taking us there, what with our 70s vintage Scott ski boots and Look bindings, to side step up the base area and do our first sliding.  Then we skied Stratton, a lot, for years.

Reality is, though, that some days are just greater-er than others.  Yeah, maybe I’m a bit jaded, and skiing groomed man made snow just doesn’t do it for me like it once did.....but I think it’s more than that.

A place like Magic (or Platty, or MRG, or Sugarbush, especially when Snowflake makes it to Castlerock) just has so much more character than the likes of Mt. Snow or Stratton (unless faux Tyrolean Village is your idea of character).  The contours of the terrain and the way the trails are cut into the hill.  It’s just makes for more interesting skiing, IMHO.  Sure, it helps to have it covered in soft natural snow, even if the cover is thin. Natural snow just skis so much nicer than man made.

There are valid reasons (more than just being jaded) for advocating for the Magics of the ski world over the Strattons.  Even when we began skiing back in the day and spent all that time at Stratton.....it was the visits to Magic and long defunct little Snow Valley that always stood out in my memory.  
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sounds like things are pretty good at Magic right now:

2/12: We look forward to seeing you next on Thursday for skiing and riding. Picked up 2-4″ on Monday and another system rolls through Wednesday Night into Thursday with 3-6″ of snow expected as we head into President’s weekend with almost the enitre mountain open, including our glades.

Reminder that if we get 6″ or more by 6am, it becomes an official Powder Day with our normal $74 tickets versus the $29 Throwback Thursday pricing. Also, that means no uphill traffic until the lift spins at 9am. Don’t think we will get that much by that time but stay tuned to tomorrow’s snow report at 6:30am.

Think Snow! Snowmaking temps return on Thursday Night-Saturday and we will make it on the West Side’s lower Wizard.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
The only answer is Magic.  

Until that becomes your default answer when comparing the two, you're not yet a skier.

Your time will come though.    
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Reminder that if we get 6″ or more by 6am, it becomes an official Powder Day with our normal $74 tickets versus the $29 Throwback Thursday pricing.
I saw that too so went ahead and bought online - currently on sale for $27.99. It is not going to start in time to get that much but not worth the risk
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig

After the skis get damaged like that doesn’t water get inside and ruin them or make them unsafe/unstable?

when edges go sideways the skis are basically done. they still float in powder and slush but no good on the groomers. just having a little fun with you. in a couple of years the pair you are on now can be your rock skies. its a goodtime when you are not so concerned about what you are skiing on and more about where you want to go. enjoy tomorrow. I may even get my ass off the couch. watch the sleet line. that should dictate where you go
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
So.......?

You can’t ask for advice on where to go, and then not tell us what you decided.  Bad form, Snowflake, bad form!

Mt. Snow reporting 4 inches this morning, vs 1-2 reported by Magic.  Both should get a few more thought the day.

Have fun, and can’t wait for a report (especially if you went to Magic).
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
I checked the report and am en route to Mount  Snow today! It looks like Magic may get 6” next week and if they do we will go there on Saturday!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Enjoy!
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
I posted a trip report for today. I will post another one after we go to Magic- maybe next Saturday?