Man made snow vs Natural

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
44 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Man made snow vs Natural

snoloco
The only time I really notice the difference between manmade and natural is on powder days.  The powder gets tracked out and exposes the manmade beneath which feels like a sheet of pure boilerplate ice compared to the powder.  On most days when all I am skiing is manmade it doesn't seem as icy.  I remember pow saying something earlier about how manmade and natural are still different even when groomed.  I have off from school tomorrow and I will be testing that out in the morning.  Recently, my home mountain got 18 inches in two storms.  I'm sure it will be groomed out tomorrow morning, but will it feel different from manmade?  Only way to find out is to ski it.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snoloco wrote
The only time I really notice the difference between manmade and natural is on powder days.  The powder gets tracked out and exposes the manmade beneath which feels like a sheet of pure boilerplate ice compared to the powder.  On most days when all I am skiing is manmade it doesn't seem as icy.  I remember pow saying something earlier about how manmade and natural are still different even when groomed.  I have off from school tomorrow and I will be testing that out in the morning.  Recently, my home mountain got 18 inches in two storms.  I'm sure it will be groomed out tomorrow morning, but will it feel different from manmade?  Only way to find out is to ski it.
It probably won't feel much different since it's been smashed by THOUSANDS of skiers and groomed repeatedly for days at a place like MC. You saw those insane crowds right? They're compacting that snow down and beating it to hell. You have to hit it the day after an overnight storm after a fresh groom at MC. Nothing will ski better than that natural groomed stuff.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
It was an amazing day in Roxbury today snowed all day left the Mountain range and it stopped snowing. Yes natural snow is best I like good manmade to but natural is natural like others things we due in life real is always better but skiing is always better then being at home.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ScottySkis wrote
It was an amazing day in Roxbury today snowed all day left the Mountain range and it stopped snowing. Yes natural snow is best I like good manmade to but natural is natural like others things we due in life real is always better but skiing is always better then being at home.
+1 (I think)

It takes a hell of a lot of traffic to make 100% natural become true boilerplate. Not sure I've ever seen it happen.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp