This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Max Pass Weekend

Danzilla
Problem is base. If you aren't skiing till Saturday then I'd wait and see how the storm sets up. Could be epic for Bell/Platty (even though its not on max). Gore is looking better but trees will be a gamble since much of the base is gone at the lower elevations. If it pushes a little further north in VT I'd go to Pico/K.
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by skunkape
Honestly I'm just waiting to see the snow totals by Friday night.  It looks like a wicked wind will follow the storm, so wind holds could be an issue Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by Danzilla
Danzilla wrote
Problem is base. If you aren't skiing till Saturday then I'd wait and see how the storm sets up. Could be epic for Bell/Platty (even though its not on max). Gore is looking better but trees will be a gamble since much of the base is gone at the lower elevations. If it pushes a little further north in VT I'd go to Pico/K.
Gore - as of today most woods are toast.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
Thanks, guys, I didn't even know a storm was headed our way actually. Everyone says go to Belleayre as of right now, but wait and see. The problem is I still have to arrange lodging for Saturday night, and things can get sold out!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Live large. Big Sky.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
I like your style, but gonna hit up Belleayre this weekend, just booked the holiday inn express in kingston! Hoping for epic storm!!
D
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Not everyone can just book a last minute flight like that to go out west.  Especially to a smaller airport like Bozeman.  Please be realistic.

That being said, I'm planning a max pass weekend in a couple weeks.  Will stay in Lincoln NH and ski a combination of Loon and Sunday River.  Always love checking out new mountains both for the terrain and lifts.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
That sounds fun Sno, Word on the lift is Loon is steep, I have never been to either. Sunday looks more my style, please post a trip report!
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
Please be realistic.

Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
snoloco wrote
Not everyone can just book a last minute flight like that to go out west.  Especially to a smaller airport like Bozeman.  Please be realistic.
Sno, I hope that every so often you take stock and realize how fortunate you are - especially as a student - to ski as much as you do and at as many varied ski areas as you do.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Rich Daddy!
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
snoloco wrote
Sno, I hope that every so often you take stock and realize how fortunate you are - especially as a student - to ski as much as you do and at as many varied ski areas as you do.
Oh man college times... only a few years ago for me but those years were great for skiing. 40+ days easy and straight to the mtn when closed for snow.  Now working full time I average about a dozen. This year with the lack of powder to chase I am not close to 12. More like 8
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
snoloco wrote
. . . I'm planning a max pass weekend in a couple weeks.  Will stay in Lincoln NH and ski a combination of Loon and Sunday River.  Always love checking out new mountains both for the terrain and lifts.
Sunday River is well worth the drive.  Can't remember the names of the different lifts and peaks but it's possible to get away from the weekend crowd if you plan well.

Loon has some fun terrain.  But also lots of people on the weekend from what I hear.  Quite a lot of families make use of the ski in/out lodging.  There are also lots of lodging options close by so the parking lots probably fill up pretty early.  I had a good time checking out the place a couple days in early Dec a few years ago.  There is tree skiing somewhere but not that much.

Loon has very good snowmaking.  Won the SAM award for I am a Snowmaker in 2015 I think.

If you have time and visibility is good, stop by the Wildcat base driving between Lincoln and Sunday River.  The high-speed lift to the summit and relatively short life lines makes Wildcat popular with skiers who don't need amenities besides a good bar in the lodge.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
snoloco wrote

That being said, I'm planning a max pass weekend in a couple weeks.  Will stay in Lincoln NH and ski a combination of Loon and Sunday River.  Always love checking out new mountains both for the terrain and lifts.

You would love Big Sky! It's got gondolas, heated six packs, lots of groomers. Heaven. But, yeah, think small. Next year you'll be one year older. Then, someday, you'll realize, hey, wha happin?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
There's no gondola at Big Sky.  There is one 6 pack bubble and they have plans for more.

Not saying I wouldn't love it.  I'm sure I would, but the time/money isn't there until I'm out of college and not stuck going during vacation weeks when everything is crowded and expensive.  The same weekend I'm going to Loon/SR, flights out there are over 1400 dollars a person.  Ridiculous.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
snoloco wrote
There's no gondola at Big Sky.  There is one 6 pack bubble and they have plans for more.

Not saying I wouldn't love it.  I'm sure I would, but the time/money isn't there until I'm out of college and not stuck going during vacation weeks when everything is crowded and expensive.  The same weekend I'm going to Loon/SR, flights out there are over 1400 dollars a person.  Ridiculous.
There's no gondola?
Dude how do you get to the summit?

https://bigskyresort.com/the-mountain/current-conditions/lifts-and-trails#sm.000002z7xccp34d2zytgkmuz3du9x
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Don't scare him.

First time I skied there, they had a gondola at the base which, I'm pretty sure, was made by the same manufacturer as Gore's old gondola. Windows were falling out.

Btw, just spent a week there. That mountain is awesome.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
The summit lift is a tram, not a gondola.  Get your facts right.

They had a 1970's Poma gondola next to the Swift Current chair that was removed and scrapped in 2008 after a major deropement.  They have plans to build an new one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
snoloco wrote
The summit lift is a tram, not a gondola.  Get your facts right.

They had a 1970's Poma gondola next to the Swift Current chair that was removed and scrapped in 2008 after a major deropement.  They have plans to build an new one.

Sigh.

Tomatoe, tomato.

I fear you may reach your goal as some sort of ski industry big guy without actually learning how to ski. But, that's ok, I know that Vail us run by people like that, and ORDA, probably. If so, study real estate and golf course development.
funny like a clown