McCauley Mountain, Old Forge, NY 2/11/11

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

McCauley Mountain, Old Forge, NY 2/11/11

Powderqueen
McCauley is a small town-owned ski area in the heart of the Adirondacks rising 650 vertical feet above the Fulton Chain. The rumor from the Greek Peak ski patrol is that McCauley Mountain is worth a visit. On Fridays (non-holiday) the lift ticket is $12. On all the other days, it is only $20.  I got my $12 worth in the first hour.

At 10am it was still pretty chilly
cold
I had my brand new 800 fill parka on. I was toasty on the lift.

Lift base 
Lift
This mountain looked promising and the snow looked great.
Helmer's
Top of lift
I went exploring and liked what I found.
Soft bumps
Soft Moguls
Glades
Barkeater
Powder
Powder
It had snowed 10" in the last week and not many people were skiing in the trees.
Powderlicious
xing
Lower God's Land
The Trees between Olympic and DeCamp were steep and offered some sweet powdery turns.
Olympic
DeCamp
morepowderyglades

Base Lodge
Base Lodge
food
polarbear
window
lunchcrowd
castle
crazy moguls

After lunch I went back out and met a nice woman on the lift who lives in Big Moose and had the day off. She was skiing alone, so we decided to keep each other company. She wanted to ski bumps, so we visited all the open bump runs, Helmer's, DeCamp's and Olympic. Then we revisted the glades on the God's Land side. I found a nice shot of unmarked trees right off the lift, that drop you right into the wooded bowl with many lines including Barkeater, Lost Trail and Lower God's Land. Finished the day with a few more over in the DeCamp and Olympic woods. We skied until 3pm enjoying each other's company and conversation.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: McCauley Mountain, Old Forge, NY 2/11/11

Harvey
Administrator
Wow that looks BEAUTIFUL. As a hard working telemarker, that's all I need.

Absolutely love the lodge too.

Couldn't find a snowfall total for this year on the website. Any idea how much they've had?

This place in on my list. Nice pics and TR PDQ.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
From what I had heard about it, it sounded like a place you might like, Harv.

I have to run up to Clarkson at some point to visit the school. I think McCauley may be in line for the way home.

EDIT
Just checked, It's an extra hour 20 out of the way, bringing the total trip to 6 hours 20 mins.

That's a LONG ride solo. especially with skiing thrown in there.
Maybe some other time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
In reply to this post by Harvey
According to this http://www.gottagoitsnows.com/skiareas/1176.html they get 17 FEET of snow a year...that's over 200".

Snow Ridge gets a little more, as it is closer to Lake Ontario.

Both of these small ski areas under report their daily snowfall. There was no indication on the website they got 10" of snow that week. All I saw was 2" of new snow one day. It doesn't seem like a priority. It is not a destination ski resort, just a small hill owned by the Town.

I didn't find out about the 10" until I talked to the guy doing ski tunes while I was putting on my ski boots. I didn't believe it until I saw it either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Grew up skiing there it is an absolute CLASSIC!!! Steeps and trees that can keep any expert happy and that awesome
small hill/town feel. Old Forge is located roughly about where the Tug Hill Plateau smacks into the Adirondack Mountains, which dumps plenty of sweet of powder!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
Great report. I was just asking about this place, as their website says they average 280" a year! I guess it's a bit less, nonetheless, the conditions there look sublime. Interesting terrain I gather as well. I would be very interested in visiting that place.
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
In reply to this post by Powderqueen
Nice! Snow looking real sweet, first thing the chair made me think of is Mad River Glenn, and the lodge got me thinking Plattekill. Looks like a classic ski hill.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
What's with the three-day delay in posting?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
She was in her hot tub, enjoying a good soak. Afterwards, maybe some pie......
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
What's with the three-day delay in posting?
I didn't have computer/Internet access until late Sunday. I wanted to contribute to the Hickory Telefest thread first a didn't get to upload my pix until Monday. And btw, weren't you in Jackson weeks before you posted your TR?
Reply | Threaded
|

RosieSki
Great pics Powderqueen!  I had Friday off from work and was going to go to McCauley, but then other things came up... Now I wish I'd moved them all!  I absolutely love McCauley - small mountain lift ticket prices, close to home for me, and can entertain me just as well as places like Gore (sometimes better!).  I'll definitely be up there at least 2 more Fridays this winter.  
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
What a cool mountain, I never knew even heard of it before!  Thanks for the trip report. I guess this helps confirm the trivia tidbit  that New York has the most ski areas per state than any other state in the US!  How do you get do Old Forge if you are coming up from NYC/NJ?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
telerider wrote
What a cool mountain, I never knew even heard of it before!  Thanks for the trip report. I guess this helps confirm the trivia tidbit  that New York has the most ski areas per state than any other state in the US!  How do you get do Old Forge if you are coming up from NYC/NJ?  
You probably would take the Thruway (via Albany) and go west to Utica. Take Route 12 from Utica up to 28. 28 to Old Forge.

Probably 5 hour drive, depending on where you are coming from (and the traffic to get to the Thruway).