8 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mike Diehl passed away hiking this weekend

Z
This post was updated on .
Many WF skiers know Mike Diehl.  He was a regular presence on the mountain regardless of the temp or conditions.  I think he felt he was making up for loss time after picking up skiing later in life.  He passed away hiking on Clark Mt in the Acres.  I live on the lower slope of Clark and we heard all the first responders at the trail head over the weekend but didn't kniw what had happened until today.  I would think its not a bad way to go doing something that you love to do in a place you love.

There is a great view from the top of that trail which I often hike as well.  There is a great view of Whiteface too when it's clear.  I'll share my photo from last fall in Mike's honor since he left us from there. I'm sure he is making powder turns in heaven as I write this.  RIP Mike.

MIKE DIEHL OBITUARY

Michael Diehl, 72, passed away Saturday, May 23rd while hiking with his kids in his "extended backyard" on Clark Mountain.

Mike was born on May 19th, 1943 in Boonton, NJ. He graduated from Boonton High School. While serving in the Army in Germany, Mike met & married his wife, Jane, a civilian nurse. After their son, Eric, was born, they enjoyed a whirlwind tour of Europe before his discharge as First Lieutenant.

The family returned stateside to North Carolina where Mike graduated from Pfeiffer College, expanded the family with a daughter, Sara, and started his career as an underwriter. He quickly showed a proficiency in training. The family relocated to Atco, NJ to be near the company’s International insurance department in Philadelphia. There, he trained and entertained clients from all over the world.

Mike discovered his love of skiing in his late 30's and his life changed forever on a trip to a friend's cabin in Wilmington. After retirement, Mike moved to Jay to pursue his dream of becoming a ski bum. These past few years he averaged over 100 days every season at Whiteface where he also volunteered as an ambassador and with disabled veterans in the adaptive ski program.

Mike hardly ever missed a good yard sale. He rescued many dogs over the years (ArfArf, Rascal, Petey, Poppy, and ‘Mr. E’ to name a few). He traveled extensively, was active in the Fabulous 50’s Club and ran the Canoe Race at Eaton Lake the past two years. To some, Mike was known as "The Mayor of Summit Lane." But, everyone knew him as friendly, thoughtful, and generous. A gift from Mike was always something special and memorable. He also enjoyed photography, hiking, paddling, gardening and grilling. But, most of all he enjoyed entertaining and having a good time with his friends and family. With that in mind, the family has decided to bypass the traditional service and plan a party to celebrate his life which will be announced at a later date.

Mike leaves behind 2 children, Eric and fiancé Blanche Peck; Sara; his brother, Digby and Kay (Beyer) and niece, Dylan. He was predeceased by his father, Edwin; mother, Mary Jane and ex-wife, Jane.

The family wishes to thank our local first responders who showed great heroism and compassion. In lieu of flowers, please consider donations in Mike's memory to Jay Volunteer Fire Department P.O. Box 358 Jay, NY 12941 or AuSable Forks Volunteer Ambulance Service 26 School Lane AuSable Forks, NY 12912. Special Thanks to Thwaits Zaumetzer Funeral Home for making arrangements.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mike Diehl passed away hiking this weekend

Highpeaksdrifter
I'm sorry to hear this. He was a nice guy, always friendly, always in a good mood. I'll miss him.

Some of you guys who didn't know him personally may remember him as Faceplant on the RSN and skiadk forums.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Z
Sounds like a life well lived.

Nice tribute Coach.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Coach Z wrote
I would think its not a bad way to go doing something that you love to do in a place you love.
Sad to hear, but I bet he greets St. Peter at the Pearly Gates with a big smile on his face.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Sad , RIP ,Mr  Diehl  a man  ironically one day younger than i , who apparently  lived a life  well lived . condolences to his family !   The lesson learned. : make memories , friends while you are able .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
I met Mike about 5 years ago through some mutual friends. I skied with him quite a bit over those years. He was the kind of guy, who even if he was upset about something, still laughed and smiled about it. A real class act. Despite his age, he never hesitated to ski the difficult stuff. I've seen him take some hellacious falls, and every time, he'd get back up, dust himself off, and make a joke about it.

He will be greatly missed.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Bridget posted a nice picture of Mike and tribute on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/bridgetwidget/posts/10152698389401706
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
Mike's family set up a very touching celebration of Mike this evening at the Cloudspin Lounge with a roast pig.  Everyone had a nice time remembering Mike and there was an open mic to share stories.  About 100 family and friends attended. It was what I want for me when I kick the bucket.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time