Post the link about the millennials?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mitigating tourism in the Daks

Z
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2019/05/adirondack-hikers-dont-be-that-person-who-gets-stranded-and-calls-for-a-taxi.html

Also article about NH which has optional hike safe card and bills for S&R costs if you don’t have that or hunting / fishing lisc

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2017/12/should_hapless_upstate_ny_hikers_hunters_pay_the_cost_of_their_rescues.html
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I can not fathom how a person can move to such a nice area, but yet still have the anger and rage that Coach feels towards tourists (and millenials, and me, and anyone who has the temerity to have a different opinion than him).

Like, what even is this:
Z wrote
Now we have fing millennials call DEC for a heli when they aren’t prepared to walk down the Mt.  The only way to force personal responsibility in our pansy assed PC world is to either get insurance income from them or punish those idiots that expect the state to protect and bail them out.
Calm the fuck down, psycho.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No worries Coach, I don't read anger or rage into your words.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'd seen this article on FB but never clicked. I did think it was odd, but I didn't get that the "high peak" was Whiteface, the only high peak with a road to the summit.

Now I read the article. It seems like a mistake made by someone young and inexperienced.

I did some stupid things when I was young.  I'm glad they are ok. If they are like most people I'm sure they learned something.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
No worries Coach, I don't read anger or rage into your words.
"F-ing Millenials" and "Pansy assed PC World" and "punish those idiots" doesn't seem angry and rage-filled to you?

Lol. Camp, you definitely have "quirky" opinions that seem to ebb and flow based on very specific culture-war-based indicators.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I'd seen this article on FB but never clicked. I did think it was odd, but I didn't get that the "high peak" was Whiteface, the only high peak with a road to the summit.

Now I read the article. It seems like a mistake made by someone young and inexperienced.

I did some stupid things when I was young.  I'm glad they are ok. If they are like most people I'm sure they learned something.
Agree with this^^^^

They are SO lucky they were in an area of the Dacks that their phone actually worked.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
No it doesn't

Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
I never cared to "punish those idiots." I always figured they would learn a lesson, and if not, living your life as an idiot is punishment enough.

I'm still happy to support free search and rescue.  What if it's a 6 year old kid? Are you just gonna let that go if the parents can't pay for the S&R? The Whiteface cell phone rescue is the example of the wasted cost caused by idiots, but it's just an isolated event, and it provides endless hours of amusement for the rest of us, so there's really no downside.

We really should encourage people to get outdoors. Instead, we focus on the cost and danger, and ignore the benefits. That's the real indicator of a pansy-ass fearful culture.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
campgottagopee wrote
Harvey wrote

Agree with this^^^^

They are SO lucky they were in an area of the Dacks that their phone actually worked.
You can include me in this group though I can’t believe Harvey did anything as stupid as some of the shit I pulled in my youth. For some reason I feel like Camp could give me a run for my money though.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
A bigger occupancy tax would just give ORDA more money to eliminate glades and add another gondola at Gore (which are both in the plan, if not the budget). The Adirondacks don't need subsidized housing, I bet it's easier for a Lake Placid bartender to find housing within an hour's trip than it is for a Manhattan bartender, or maybe even a Saratoga Springs bartender. Do you really want the State to get into subsidized housing? Where does that end?

The better housing solution is local zoning that encourages affordable housing. If you want affordable housing in LP, all you need to do is ban short term rentals, the way Lake George did. That would make LP a nice place to live, especially if you were retired and could spend January in Costa Rica.

mm
The only way to have affordable housing is if there is government intervention with some kind of motivation. Developers with a buildable property will always maximize the profit unless there is a $$$$ reason to build affordable housing - more units on the lot than allowed, property tax breaks, cheap building loans, etc.

It is difficult to ban short term rentals since so much of the rental market serves weekend rentals.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Maybe they would save some money if they didn't call out the heli for every tiny incident.

Do you really need to do a flyover because someone got too hot on Owl's Head?

Is the rock scramble/ladder line on Crane so difficult that you can't do it with a splinted ankle?

Yeesh.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
MC2 5678F589 wrote

Do you really need to do a flyover because someone got too hot on Owl's Head?

Is the rock scramble/ladder line on Crane so difficult that you can't do it with a splinted ankle?

Must be those pansies Coach was talking about
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I read at least half of it and Z is right about one thing they're all young people, at least all whose ages were identified.

Is a 14 year old a millennial?
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
Is a 14 year old a millennial?
I took a survey at work today that identified the generational cutoffs and it put millenials as ‘81-‘95. Gen Z was ‘96- 2003 so I guess the14 yr olds (2005) are still un-categorized. I also noticed that they liked to include where the victims were from when they were out-of-staters
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
I'm not saying rescues didn't happen when I was a kid because they did. However, I think a higher percentage of kids back then had more experience in the woods. Seems like inexperience played a part with some of these.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
There’s just way too many people now but if you are savvy enough you can still get away from it all.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Seemed like inexperience played a role in most of those rescues.

I think if you are going to have preserved public land with open access, SAR is going to be a fact of life.

Of all the crap we spend money on this is not high on my cranky list.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Anecdotally, and as someone from NH, most of the rescues in the White Mountains seem to be Baby Boomers who have gotten lost, hurt, or not checked in with their significant other.

Like this:

http://bit.ly/2xmudRa