Mitigating tourism in the Daks

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
74 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mitigating tourism in the Daks

MC2 5678F589
Stop bringing in contrasting information. You're getting in the way of a bunch of old dudes shaking their fists at "those damn kids"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by witch hobble
Hey don't you pay for parking in New Hampshire?
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
A license to hike seems like a bad idea to me. If I need a license to walk around the Park, why not a license to walk around everywhere else? Where does it end?

Pay for search and rescue is another bad idea (except in cases of fraud like the Sacramento skier).  It sounds like part of the libertarian small government privatize everything and pay for it at market prices, but in reality it's just another step down the road to the boring world where everyone is afraid of everything.
Agreed with the above.  For S&R, a potentially huge price tag could dissuade someone from calling if they really need it.  Drop them off at a hospital.  If they are not seriously injured, they have to pay for a taxi to get back to wherever their car is.

Pay to enter the park seems reasonable.  More reasonable would be free parking at trailhead parking, but pay for shuttle use.  That way the early birds don't get penalized and you don't have "cops" checking for walking licences.

The no parking signs should also state that the fine is $250.  That would discourage people from parking & reduce morons crossing the road.  Who would have thought a fine could be that much?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Hey don't you pay for parking in New Hampshire?
At the busiest WMNF parking lots (Lincoln Woods, Welch-Dickey, etc) there is a pay kiosk. $7 I think.

FNSP has a fucked up parking situation for sure. No charge for parking, and as the lots fill up for all the Franconia range hikes people were parking right down the side of the Interstate, sometimes hundreds of cars, on both sides. State has now put “no parking” signs along the road. You can park at Cannon, and walk the bike path back (for free) or the AMC is running a shuttle. I think it’s $20 for non members.

Franconia Notch is a place that definitely  needs mitigation of some sort for much the same reason Coach Z feels about the Park.  Imagine if the Adirondacks were located with Catskill-distance access to NYC and the Interstate highway went right up the guts. That’s Franconia Notch.

Short answer: I don’t pay for parking.....but many do. I guess I’m part of the problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
A "Millennial" reporting in (born in 86), just want to confirm the vast majority "us" are normal responsible citizens, much like any demographic there are outliners that are shit bags. Generalizations on a generational level are a poor insight and sound the like a desperate attempt by someone to wax poetic of "the better times and better people"

The alcoholic Baby Boomers that spent the summers of my youngest years trashing the islands of Lake George, cutting down vegetation, literally dumping trash into the lake were real psychopaths....

Hell I remember growing up, and all those Boomer parents saying "Get outside, stop playing video games", as they became obese middle age people. Well it looks like "we" are doing exactly what "you" wanted and going outside.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I drive by one of our local parks everyday on my way to and from work. When I was a kid this particular park was the one to play hoops at. 2 courts with 5 on 5 going at all times. Teams waiting on the sidelines to take on the winners. In the summer this was the everyday norm. Now it's a ghost town. Sure there might be a handful of kids there shooting or playing 2 on 2 but that's it. It just blows my mind.
So yeah I say get outside and off the damn couch and toss those stupid games right in the dumpster.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Maybe they are choosing to go outside in different places?

Public pools are packed near me these days. Baseball fields and soccer fields and places where kids do organized sports have never been more crowded. And downtown areas of cities are hopping, too.

Maybe the issue in your area has something to do with this:

Or this:
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Not millennials this time. a big bmw driving entitled baby boomer VP of Finance for a bank

Even MC and I can agree to dislike this guy

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2019/07/tempers-flare-over-trailhead-parking/?platform=hootsuite
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I blame Canada.

Hard to know what really happened.  If everything reported is true, both parties are to blame.

Does seem like the Bimmer hate is pretty universal.  

Good to see forum alumni adding to a constructive discussion at the ADE.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I used to drive an X5 . That thing was ridiculous and I didn’t even have the big engine. I don’t think we need to blame all Canadians. I’m sure this dude was from Quebec
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Meanwhile I saw this in the ADK Daily Enterprise.  Housing too expensive in LP?  Live in Jay.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2019/07/task-force-wants-jay-to-be-housing-hub/
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
The property taxes in Jay are all out of wack.  I know a person that is not going to get more than 160 for his house and he is paying close to 6k in taxes.   LP the tax burden would be more like 2.5k
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
But that same $160k house in  LP would sell for $300k and be on a sliver of land in compared to probably an acre in Jay

The schools are a mess.  I can’t understand why the school district is paying close to 1M in salaries for the supervisor and his staff to run 3 schools.  You could cut out the whole supervisors office staff and make no difference in the education quality
Reply | Threaded
|

PFunk_Spock
To be honest, I don't see how there is an affordable housing problem in the area. You can buy the better part of 100 different houses within 15-20 minutes of LP for under 200k. You can't build a replacement for under that.

Also, there are exactly zero jobs currently listed, does the Enterprise just suck at that? I'd be living there instead of where I do in all reality if I could find myself a job.

http://www.hot-ads.com/browse/index.cfm?SID=NY&RGID=10000000000&CID=23
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
What kind of job are you looking for?

Employment is near zero locally for people that actually want to work
Reply | Threaded
|

PFunk_Spock
Project Management in construction, but I was an accounting controller in previous life as well.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
That might be really tough to find in the Daks
There are plenty of small contractors and guys in pickups that bang nails but very few bigger firms of the size to have dedicated project managers.  When some large gets built the firms are not usually local

Maybe try Ward Lumber as they hire for their sales team those with contracting backgrounds

Obviously jobs in tourism and hotel restaurants are big.  Professionals in banking, real estate, health care, are in demand so maybe the accounting area would be what I’d suggest you look for.

Other option might be a corporate telecommuting job which is what I do.

Good luck in the job search
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think that widely accessible broadband could really help the Adirondacks.  I have a hard time working when I come up.  If my daughter is streaming I can't work.

A few years ago I remember SBR posting a photo of "them" installing fiber optic cable on his dirt road in remote Ontario.

How is your connectivity where you are Z?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
No.
In part of what I enjoy about the dacks is the lack of communication. It's part of what keeps the north country special in my mind. I'm lucky to have the same in my area.