Mogul Skis?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mogul Skis?

raisingarizona
We have some epic spring bumps here right now and it has me thinking that next year I'd like to have some proper mogul skis. Getting yer wiggle on in slush bumps is pretty darn fun.

Any thoughts on skis?

The Dynastar Twisters seem to be the most popular but when I think of freestyle skis I think of Harts. Harts were my first pair of new skis back in the late 80's.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mogul Skis?

Hoser
Rossi Experience 83 are super turny and good on bumps and trees.  Might be 84 now actually.  Not the best for groomers due to duck tips and tails, but awesome for quick turns.  Wonder how the Soul 7s would be.  Certainly wider, but so rockered they would ski super short.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Hoser wrote
Rossi Experience 83 are super turny and good on bumps and trees.  Might be 84 now actually.  Not the best for groomers due to duck tips and tails, but awesome for quick turns.  Wonder how the Soul 7s would be.  Certainly wider, but so rockered they would ski super short.
I'll always have a dedicated powder/freeride ski that is around 110mm under foot so I'm thinking of a true traditional mogul ski. The guys that are really into it seem to say that skinnier skis are better for the bumps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
83 width is skinny.  I have the Experience 98 (now 100 in new models) for Powder.  
Having said that, using a 74 width frontside ski works good in bumps, skinny right, but not if there is any snow or spring corn.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Harts are big with the WC bump skiers.  My SL race skis work well, 165 cm.  They turn well.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Hey man!  I don't think I am in a position to give you advice on anything ski related, but here goes - I would imagine the Dynastar's would be great.  I don't know that line, but I got the Powertrack 84 as an all mountain ski that I could use in the bumps and go a bit off piste (the latter hasn't happened much).  So, sounds like the Twisters would be great.  I use my 84's on steep and moderate bumps, and I have no problem with rotary turning.  Also, the Powertracks have tip rocker (they say tail rocker but it is not much), so that also helps with the turns in the bumps.  Not on point, but hopefully helpful.  
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
i'm cheap so i hooked my son up with some volkl wall moguls a few season ago. twisters and k2's were hard to find and the the harts were too damn much $ for 3rd / part time use ski. He likes them but doesn't really have anything to compare them to except his buddies k2's he's ridden, says they ski a little stiffer than the k2's which is not surprising coming from volkl. one our local bumpheads switched back to his old solly 1080's and is proceeding to pick them off whenever he finds a pair... when i was looking for ski for jr i considered the k2 xtreme incarnation as an alternative to a dedicated bump ski, similar dims to the 1080. down here lil ole blu mt is establishing a pretty decent bump culture over the last few years... pic from tuesday lifted from fb -  1,000  vert t2b bumps!

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That does make sense about the Volkls being stiffer than the K2's. I used to be a loyal Volkl skier but then discovered how much I prefer easy, softer skis.

I'm going to have to wait until fall anyways so I'll just see what I find on sale. The K2's or Dynastars are what I'm going to be looking for from everything I've read or been told so far.