classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Montreal

lolkl
This post was updated on .
The wife and I are going to be in Schroon Lake for the 4th of July. We don't have much time there but we want to go up to Montreal for a day and a night. It's been 30 years since I was there and even then I didn't know a thing about the city. We are looking forward to seafood and walking around to check out food. And we need a place to stay for a night. Any info out there?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: montreal

BigK75
Stay near "old Montreal" (Google it).  Its absolutely stunning and is the main reason why people visit Montreal.  I would stay at the Intercontinental.  The last time I stayed it was reasonable and very short waling distance to old Montreal.  For food I would eat Montreal style bagels.  If you like cured meat you absolutely have to go Schwartz Deli for an authentic Montreal smoke meat sandwich.  Its amazing. You might also want to go see Mount Royal.  Have a great time. I think you love it.  Hope this info helps.  

Claude
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This post was updated on .
I go up there often for work and play

You can stay at any of the big hotels anywhere in Centerville.  I think it's cheaper on the weekend to stay not in old town but in the more business hotels like the Hilton or Sheraton in Centerville. Park and take the metro to get around.  Buy a day ride ticket.

I like Jardin Nelson in old town for lunch.  Really good savory crapes

My favorite restaurant is Cafe Ferreira on Rue Peel in Centerville (downtown).  If you want fish this is the place.  The Porcini crusted roasted black cod is mind blowing.

http://ferreiracafe.com/en/
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I'll echo BigK, stay near Old Montreal.  L Hotel is a wonderful hotel with a lot of character and in a great location.  The hotel's owner is an art collector who has amassed one of the largest collections of contemporary and pop art in North America, with many amazing pieces on display in the lobby and other pieces in the rooms.  It may be more than you want to spend ($200-ish per night) but probably no more pricey than say the Intercontinental.

I'll also second Coach's endorsement of Jardin Nelson.  Great place for lunch, you can hang in their courtyard seating area, listen to some jazz and throw back a few Maudites.

Montrealers love their Parc du Mont-Royal, and it's well worth a visit.  If you're a runner, it's an easy 5-6 mile (round-trip) run from Old Montreal area past McGill University, up into the park and back.  Lots of trails and woods - get a map.  You get much more of a feel for the city when you run through it versus driving.

People in Montreal are just so damned nice.  Yeah, tourism is a big business there so it's their "job" to be friendly, but I think it genuinely goes beyond that.  Enjoy.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Things look pricey but remember that the exchange rate currently is .78

The newer hotels that claim to be in old town are not as nothing new can be built there.  Like I said stay a little to the west save money.  It's only a 5 mins metro ride to old town.  I like that area but find its very touristy (read more expensive).

If you are looking for something else to do on the way home the town of Chambly is 25k SE of Montreal.  It has a old fort to visit and a good restaurant owned by unibrou the brewery.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g183734-d684734-Reviews-Fourquet_Fourchette-Chambly_Quebec.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
We stayed at the Sheraton right in the Center of town.  As Coach said, it was very easy to get to and from Old Montreal and all over via the Metro.  It was also directly across the street from the Bier Markt, which was a pretty cool place.  We really enjoyed Olive et Gourmando  for lunch in Old Montreal.  Montreal was great. We want to go back soon.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Yes the Sheraton is good.  Love the Bier Market in Toronto.  Haven't been to the one in Montreal yet.

I also have gotten really good rates at the Meriden.  It's in a nice neighborhood with a lot of shops.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
If you are going to Olive & Gourmando, go early. It's fucking crazy how busy that place is. Yeah, it's really good, but so are lots of places.

They do have a dinner spot on Notre Dame called FOXY which is also crazy good, but not cheap. Maybe more than Joe Beef and their restaurants, yikes. But I had a super nice meal there so i won't complain much.

If you really want to ball on your hotel room, I think this is the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at:

http://www.hotelgault.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

Montreal

BS Lolkl
In reply to this post by lolkl
First of all, thanks to those who took the time and give me advice. I have been in an internet freezeout for awhile this Summer and was unable to thank you.
I went to Montreal a couple days after the 4th of July. I was in Schroon Lake for a family reunion. Not very much fun anymore. It used to be. Now, it's all about the grand kids. Changing diapers is the most fun anyone was having. " Be QUIET, you'll wake up the babies." But it's OK to wake me up at 5 am ( Eastern... I'm on Mt time )????So the wife and I beat it up over the border.
Without knowing what or where we were going we ended up downtown on St. Catherine and wandered around all afternoon on a beautiful day. Jazz fest made getting a room difficult but the tourist info place helped us out and we got a room for $75. And it was clean and nice, just a block from Jazz fest. We got cleaned up and walked down to Ferrieros for a great dinner. I got the Roasted Black Cod and it was worth everything I put into going. The waiter was the best I ever saw. We ate out on the sidewalk tables and watched the pretty women walk by. Girls don't look like that out here.
The next morning we parked the car down by Old Montreal and walked all around. Lunch at Jardin Nelson was unbelieveable. We got a call and traveled back to Lake Placid where my brother's college roommate and best friend had married into old LP money. We had dinner and cocktails at their lodge on LP itself. Camp Redwing is Very nice and about to go on the market for $ 7.7 million. I didn't know that LP was so private which explains why I had never seen it before. We cruised around in the '32 Cris Craft ( blub blub blub .)
Then back to Schroon and back to Big Sky. Sorry I didn't have time to see the azz clowns. You will have to come out here again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Montreal

BigK75
HI BS Lolki:

Yup, you found what many Canadians already knew (there are many that still don't know). Quebec/Montreal is fucking awesome :)

Next time take your bribe and go to Quebec City and have your mind blown once again.  

Isn't it great we have two awesome countries side by side.  My mind is blown every time I vacation in LP (both summer and winter) so its nice we can return the favor :)....God I miss road cycling in LP.  Freaking dollar is killing me as its the first time in long time I won't be in LP for either winter or summer.  

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by BS Lolkl
Whoa -- 32 cris craft!!! i don't know boats like I do cars / trucks but I know enough that is one bitchin ride
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Happy to hear I steered you right on those restaurant choices.  Café Ferreria is one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten at and that black cod is dam good stuff.  It inspired my wife and I to visit Portugal which was some great eating.

I agree that the women in Montreal are something special.
Reply | Threaded
|

Montreal

BS Lolkl
Twice I have written a trip report on Montreal but they don't get posted. I am not good enough at typing to keep trying so this is an experiment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Lolkl... it seems like there were 3 threads titled Montreal.  The TR forum is really for reports on skiing and winter sports. This thread seems more like a request for help on summer travel.  I wasn't sure where to put it so I moved it to the off topic and joined them together.  Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the support.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

BS Lolkl
Thanks Harvey,
                       I continued to try putting this in the trip reports. Yeah, I know it was meant for ski area trips but since it is Summer I thought I'd do something different. Thanks everyone.