classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

More Ski Bowl Trails

playoneontv
This post was updated on .
Frontstreet press released on Wednesday that they have transferred the remaining old Ski Bowl trails to the Town of Johnsburg.  Quotes include Mike Pratt.

http://frontstreetpartners.com/linked/press_release_ski_trails_transfer_9-14-2016.pdf
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: More Ski Bowl Trails

Z

What is that potential terrian like.  From the map looks like you would have to walk out to it (nothing new for Gore folk) and it could have some nice pitch at bottom.  Looks like it faces south.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Northeast, East and Southeast I think.

That one trail looks like it will blow out one of the best glades at Gore.  I'll see what I can find out regarding the timing and routes.  Not sure that map is precise. Also those woods are pretty open. Those trails could "open" some new stuff.

Based on the hiking and tree skiing out there I think those trails could be nice.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
In reply to this post by Z
Where did they get all that snow in the pictures? Certainly not last year.

Has anything sold yet? I can't see paying top dollar for a home there when on most days you still need to drive to the main lodge to ski.

But, it sure does look nice and would be good for the town and mountain if it all works out.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Aren't these the same trails that were sold/transfered to Frontstreet a few years back so the " Village people " would have ski in/ski out ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by playoneontv
The controversial illustration, for reference.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I think front street is tired of paying property taxes on worthless land
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Another big waste of money.  Upgrade snowmaking and put more trails in Burnt Ridge first and get a real connection between the two.  Not a mile long hike that isn't even open without natural snow.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
The way I understand it no money has been spent at this time.  Just a land transfer.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
So Gore got money out of this?  Spend it on snowmaking!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
snoloco wrote
So Gore got money out of this?  Spend it on snowmaking!!
I'm confused. Or you are.

Frontstreet gave the town of Johnsburg an additional 30 acres.  No money has changed hands.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by snoloco
Hold on Sno. I think the set up is the  town of Johnsburg owns the ski bowl. The State appropriated money for snowmaking, lift etc. That money was channeled thru ORDA and ear marked for the project.

All this was done because the locals have a fondness for the SB AND it was hoped that it would bring business to downtown NC. Bottom line appears that " no money was taken from Gore to pay for this project ". It's all because the local, county and state politicians got the State to appropriate the money in an attempt to help the NC economy.

When ORDA was pressed to release the money, some questions they asked Gore GM Mike Pratt were...  will the ski bowl be the last area to be blown snow on each season ? Will ALL the main mtn get blown first before the Ski Bowl ? Pratt answered yes. This is probably why the SB gets little snowmaking especially in years like last year. Ain't nothing that can be done about it...... UNTIL mtn's adopt your plan of massive fire power, which Ma Nature seems to be forcing upon them.

Also, don't let the numbnuts on here get to you when they bitch about your snowmaking mantra. When the Ski Bowl project was first getting started many were gushing how it would revitalize NC. All superlatives. We had pages and pages of discussion and they were all so very sure it would be wonderful for NC economy and skiing in general.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
My issue is that they have a lot of room for improvement with snowmaking, two areas on the mountain need more trails, and a lift is on the immediate upgrade list, and nothing gets done because the throw the money down the drain to the Ski Bowl.  They won't even spend it on what matters with regard to the Ski Bowl, in the form of a proper connection from the main mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Like I said sno, it appears no money was spent. This was essentially free land given to the ToJ, by Front Street.

The downside for the town is probably a small reduction in tax revenue. As a landowner/taxpayer in Johnsburg I can say that the tax on 30 acres of undeveloped land isn't too much.

The idea of "won't spend" money is a bit cray cray. It implies that you have it. Gore spends what they are given.

Spoke to MP today and there will be some short term benefit to this. More on this later in the week, I think.  But it's a long term play.  Also there was money spent this summer on your favorite kind of investment. More on that too.

Man, after this summer, it is refreshing to argue about snowmaking and ski area management!  
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Gore has added many glades, and added an entire snowmaking equipped trail on the Ski Bowl.  How about spending that money on a real connection to the Ski Bowl instead, so that people actually use it.  The connection getting back out is easy.  Going in is a miles long skate and is hardly ever open due to no snowmaking.  

Every year they blow off the improvements that will actually make a difference and add worthless terrain at the Ski Bowl that's never open, and even when open is never used because you can't get there without walking.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by Harvey
Far skiers left on this map is the double drop off of Rabbit Pond trail, already being ski by the back country community.
The other two are being skiied off of flat rock, I hope they are never developed into mainstream trails. Just glad they are now protected. I should add it's not a fixed heel paradise.