classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Most crowded EC ski area

PowderAssassin
I'm not just talking lift lines, but also on trail crowds/dodging people

My nomination has to be Wachusett. I can't think of a ski area BADLY in need of expanding as much as this one. They have a few high speed quads servicing a small ski are with just a few trails and there are still insane lift lines on weekends. Weekdays are still crowded on the slopes(no life lines due to huge lift capacity for such a small size ski area) They will turn you away and tell you they're not selling any more tickets on occasion. They can't even fit all the people in their HUGE parking lot. They have shuttles. And this for a place that only has a few runs from it's true summit and a few more on the other one.

14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Most crowded EC ski area

snoloco
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Damn...that place is horrible
Some more pics.
http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic18328

I've seen wachusett that bad on presidents day weekend. That's just getting to the point of being dangerous on the trails.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Wow you guys ride at some shitty places.  That doesnt look like fun at all.  Did you get your first powder day at Tuxedo Ridge yet? Or was the moms minivan unavailable?
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
You guys are bumming me out with this thread.  

Why ski in that mass of badly skiing humanity.  Get in that mini van and drive North no matter how bad the roads are or go bowling.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
snoloco wrote
Waiting in line to ski is better than not skiing. BTW that line pic I took was during MLK Weekend and the others on the link are from Christmas week when only one lift was open.
I don't know about that.  For a line that long I wouldn't have any fun.  Id rather stay home.  Even if there was fresh snow it would be tracked out immediately.  I usually avoid those places during periods like that.  I hate lines anywheres outside of skiing, what a waste of time.  Waiting in line pretty much is not skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Glade Runner wrote
snoloco wrote
Waiting in line to ski is better than not skiing. BTW that line pic I took was during MLK Weekend and the others on the link are from Christmas week when only one lift was open.
I don't know about that.  For a line that long I wouldn't have any fun.  Id rather stay home.  Even if there was fresh snow it would be tracked out immediately.  I usually avoid those places during periods like that.  I hate lines anywheres outside of skiing, what a waste of time.  Waiting in line pretty much is not skiing.
I agree.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote

Maybe when I'm older and I am all into glades and natural (don't see that happening) I will look back on the many overcrowded days I had at Mountain Creek and say "Why did I ever enjoy myself at the overcrowded mole hill for so long?".  Then you will get a major told you so moment for me and I will be embarrassed by how much I posted about it here.  .
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
snoloco wrote
Maybe when I'm older and I am all into glades and natural (don't see that happening) I will look back on the many overcrowded days I had at Mountain Creek and say "Why did I ever enjoy myself at the overcrowded mole hill for so long?".  
I'm a lot older and used to ski Mountain Creek when I was in my 30s. I wouldn't ski there now on a weekend, but I did enjoy the vast majority of my ski days there. It was close and served the propose. I have no regrets.

If you're having fun, who am I to tell you you are wrong?

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER

It's just skiing; should be fun.

Back to thread.  Why Flatton, of course!  

Wide open cruisers mulled with pitch from time to time, shaken with lots of peeps and garnished with Gapers. We usually have a good crew going there, which makes all the difference.  Always have your head on a swivel and cover your buddies six.

"Safety first Marshall; that's us everytime."
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
snoloco wrote
Enjoying Mountain Creek is all about expectations.  If you go in expecting this amazing western like ski experience with untracked powder, minimal lift lines, and challenging terrain, you are going to be frustrated.  

Exactly.  Skiing Wachusett is the same way.  I was terribly disappointed by my skiing experiences there last year because I was used to the uncrowded trails at Greek Peak.  I felt like I was going to be run over any second by one of those little punks careening down the trail just barely in control of him/herself.  I considered not buying a season pass this year, but in the end, I decided that if we go a little later at night, say after 7pm, when most of the school kids have decided to pack it in and go inside/leave, then it probably won't be so bad.  Plus, it's a great way to keep my legs in shape for when I go ski at larger places on the weekends.  We don't go anywhere near Wawa on the weekends or holidays.  

Powder--It's unlikely that Wachusett will ever expand because about 10-15 year ago, someone realized that the trees at the summit of the hill are old-growth forest, which is now protected.  Wachusett is part of Wachusett Mountain State Reservation, and the state won't allow them to build any more trails.  You just have to adjust your expectations, as I'm learning to do, and go during off-peak times.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
snowmonkey wrote
snoloco wrote
Enjoying Mountain Creek is all about expectations.  If you go in expecting this amazing western like ski experience with untracked powder, minimal lift lines, and challenging terrain, you are going to be frustrated.  

Exactly.  Skiing Wachusett is the same way.  I was terribly disappointed by my skiing experiences there last year because I was used to the uncrowded trails at Greek Peak.  I felt like I was going to be run over any second by one of those little punks careening down the trail just barely in control of him/herself.  I considered not buying a season pass this year, but in the end, I decided that if we go a little later at night, say after 7pm, when most of the school kids have decided to pack it in and go inside/leave, then it probably won't be so bad.  Plus, it's a great way to keep my legs in shape for when I go ski at larger places on the weekends.  We don't go anywhere near Wawa on the weekends or holidays.  

Powder--It's unlikely that Wachusett will ever expand because about 10-15 year ago, someone realized that the trees at the summit of the hill are old-growth forest, which is now protected.  Wachusett is part of Wachusett Mountain State Reservation, and the state won't allow them to build any more trails.  You just have to adjust your expectations, as I'm learning to do, and go during off-peak times.
If you go in expecting a western style sking experience in vermont you'll be dissapointed, forget wawa...lol

I'd rather just ski elsewhere than deal with crowds like that. I'm fine on a mole hill. I'd rather hit up nashoba/blue hills even though they're half the size just because of less people. I've never been to those places. Just assuming they're less crowded. It's dangerous and annoying skiing down a hill with a ton of people.

How's wachusett mid week non holiday during the day? Still crowded? Why not just head to crotched for people in boston? Isn't that a much better hill with less crowds?(I've never been to crotched. Just wondeirng) I mean it's only an extra 1/2 hour from boston right?

Crazy tree huggers. Wawa needs to be at least twice the size it is right now to acoomdate crowds. Even the lodge is incredibly overcrowded. It was like a zoo with wild kids running everywhere and nowhere to sit.
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

snowmonkey
PowderAssassin wrote
I'd rather just ski elsewhere than deal with crowds like that. I'm fine on a mole hill. I'd rather hit up nashoba/blue hills even though they're half the size just because of less people. I've never been to those places. Just assuming they're less crowded. It's dangerous and annoying skiing down a hill with a ton of people.

How's wachusett mid week non holiday during the day? Still crowded? Why not just head to crotched for people in boston? Isn't that a much better hill with less crowds?(I've never been to crotched. Just wondeirng) I mean it's only an extra 1/2 hour from boston right?
It's not the size of it that keeps me going back, it's the proximity.  It only takes 40 minutes to drive to Wachusett, whereas Blue Hills or Nashoba would be more like an hour+, which is too much for a weeknight.  I think Blue Hills and Nashoba are probably just as crowded based on the crowds I've seen at Ward Hill in Shrewsbury on weekends when we've driven by, so I don't think you'd gain anything there.  If we were able to relocate just a half hour or so west of Worcester, it would be well worth it to buy a season pass to Berkshire East.  That place is really awesome in terms of small, down to earth ski hills.  We really love that place, but it takes us about an hour and a half to get there currently.  We go on Sunday afternoons for the $30 lift tix deal.  As far as midweek crowds, I don't think Wachusett is too bad in that regard, but I've never been up there on a weekday.  This darn working for a living really cramps my style.  

I've only been to Crotched once.  It wasn't a bad little place, and I'd go back if we got discounted lift tix, but I don't think it's worth driving an extra half hour for.  I'd take Berkshire East over Crotched any day of the week.  

In any case, our grand plan is to pay off all our bills in the next 5-7 years, save up some money, sell off most of our stuff, and then head to VT to figure out a way to eek out a living.  Then we'll have our pick of great places to ski!  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
snowmonkey wrote
This darn working for a living really cramps my style.  

Tell me about it. I sat through an 8 hour meeting yesterday in a hot, smelly, uncomfortable, windowless room with 120 other guys, and all I could think about was: "What the hell am I doing with my life?"

In any case, our grand plan is to pay off all our bills in the next 5-7 years, save up some money, sell off most of our stuff, and then head to VT to figure out a way to eek out a living.  Then we'll have our pick of great places to ski!
This is remarkably similar to my plan. Probably starting in VT and branching out west, if I get bored or snow totals in NoVT don't satisfy my powder jones.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by snowmonkey
Snowmonkey said "This darn working for a living really cramps my style."  

No doubt! I was bred for a life of leisure but unfortunately I can't afford it!