175 messages Options
123456 ... 9
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Most important safety feature

ml242
PowderAssassin wrote
You're more likely to be injured skiing than driving to the mountain. Deaths are relatively rare, but look at even wachusett mountain. Google "wachusett mountain death".
I was shocked to find that the last one occurred in 2006 and that the skier was traveling at a high rate of uncontrolled speed!

http://www.thelandmark.com/news/2006-02-16/Princeton_News/064.html

With a mere 200k visits a year, I agree, we have to do something about this!
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by Petronio
This site has me chuckling tonight. That is a very useful site Petronio

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Thacheronix wrote
This site has me chuckling tonight. That is a very useful site Petronio
Agree

Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
In reply to this post by ml242
http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/local/ci_17203226
Teenage girl runs into tree
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/5017-Teenage-girl-dies-at-Wachusett-Mountain

Some of these are hard to even find. Nevermind all the serious injuries from running into a tree

Here's one non fatal...quite horrible. Leg amputation blog.

http://snowboardervstree.blogspot.com/p/story.html

I'm sure if these people were family and the deaths were preventable with nets you'd feel a little more emotionally connected and caring.
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by PowderAssassin
PowderAssassin wrote
 industry plants
Funneh
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I'm so old
Told ya you'd get used to it.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
I feel like the netting might be some sort of metaphor for the tangled web that the powder ass weaves.  All of you EC gapers getting caught in it like flies.....or Texans in powder.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by witch hobble
please snow so we can debate the snowmaking and grooming deficits of your favorite mountain. i say we register skiers and require a yearly licensing fee with testing.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
PowderAssassin wrote
I'm sure if these people were family and the deaths were preventable with nets you'd feel a little more emotionally connected and caring.
Maybe if I was a goober jong tourist hack that only skied once a year and had no idea about skiing and its relative risks.

Plus, you said deaths, not serious injuries. Way to move the goal posts. But what happens when someone gets tangled in the net while its snowing and you get a narsid.

Or the countless lawsuits where people say they were injured because of the nets.

Where does your nanny-state leave you then?

p.s. those memes are all hilarious.
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
ml242 wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
Maybe if I was a goober jong tourist hack that only skied once a year and had no idea about skiing and its relative risks.

Plus, you said deaths, not serious injuries. Way to move the goal posts. But what happens when someone gets tangled in the net while its snowing and you get a narsid.

Or the countless lawsuits where people say they were injured because of the nets.

Where does your nanny-state leave you then?
You could make same ridiculous argument about padding lift towers. Frivolous lawsuits exist no matter what. Less deaths/serious injuries = less potential liability. This is common sense. Why would you not want to prevent serious injuries? How is that moving the goal post. Same thing...SAFETY. It increases safey by netting it preventing deaths AND SERIOUS INJURY.
14-15 Season:

12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
tBatt wrote

yaknow
Is that ya-know or yak-now?

Regardless I think it was our esteemed colleague Yanick Noah John from the SkiAdk thread who pointed out that once you start putting netting up all over the place, then the lawyers will go nuts if you get hurt in a spot without netting.

Like how you have to pad the lift towers and you can't open trails if every tower isn't padded, but you still have trees and snowguns and gapers everywhere to crash into.  Maybe they could pad the gapers.*

*disclaimer: I am a gaper

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It's called personal responsibility Pow, I think you should just get one of these.

Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Spot on! And those lawsuits would be winners.

NO NETS!!!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by freeheeln
freeheeln wrote
PowderAssassin wrote
 Ski areas should NET the edge of the trails

Putting up these nets would cause a drastic decrease in numbers of deaths.
gore was being progressive with the netting on chatimac , who knew
The netting on the right shoulder of Upper Chatiemac was the result of the idiots who skied off it 6 years ago looking for fresh pow in the trees, not knowing that they were heading for Bakers Mills and NOT back to the mountain. Their asses were saved by 2 ski patrollers - Jeff Palka was the one who schlepped back up the mountain, and I can't remember the name of the woman who stayed with the idiots and kept them from freezing to death.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
PowderAssassin wrote
What's the NUMBER 1 cause of death at ski areas? A skier at moderate speed on a trail running into the trees at the edge of a blue trail.
So, don't ski at the edge of a trail!

We had a thread last year about how some A+ expert skiers bought the farm skiing the edge. It changed my mind. So, don't do it. Tell your family. Tell your friends . . . that is if you have any and if you're not really a sockpuppet trolling this forum.

Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
You keep asking why we would not want to save lifes. But the ski resorts are overcrowded as it is and we are overpopulated.  We need to knock off some people somehow its like survival of the fittest.  I say put more obstacles and more hazards on the trails so there's more deaths.  This would scare begginners and intermediates from even coming out and crowding the resorts.  With less people there it will save the resorts money by not having to install high-speed quads to keep up with crowds.  Besides who wants nets on the side of trails don't you like to weave in an out of the edges of the trees on trails?  after all that's where most of the powder ends up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
To hopefully end this inane discussion I  would suggest PA start a campaign to change NYS law. As it is, Article 18 section 103 basically states that ski areas are only required to mark off or pad man made objects. If nature put it there it is your responsibility to avoid it.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
You guys are feeding into his craziness.   There is a greater chance of injury and death from driving to work than falling of a ski trail and striking a tree.  For someone that doesn't ski the trees or apparently the sides of trails, I want to know when and where he slays powder.  Lol.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PowderAssassin
Marcski wrote
You guys are feeding into his craziness.   There is a greater chance of injury and death from driving to work than falling of a ski trail and striking a tree.  For someone that doesn't ski the trees or apparently the sides of trails, I want to know when and where he slays powder.  Lol.
The idea that netting would create more lawsuits is ABSURD.

Again on to irrelevant car accident statistics....so why do you not wear a helmet driving? It will save lives and is more dangerous than skiing right? Helmets are proven to make a car accident more survivable. There's a reason NASCAR drivers wear them.

Places that actually have powder on a trail....yes nowhere to ski pow in this picture....right
14-15 Season:

12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
123456 ... 9