classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
107 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mount Bohemia

raisingarizona
Silverton.

I want to go to Bohemia just because it’s so unique. I like that sort of thing but it would be hard to do when I can be in the San Juan’s with a 5 hour drive. If any of you can make a trip to Silverton I highly recommend it. It’s the anti ski area and the town is as gritty as it gets.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q

Like everybody on this board, Bohemia is a place I want to visit, but will never be able to justify spending the effort to get to Bohemia. When there are so many places I have yet to ski that are easier to get to (like the Powder Highway) that have way bigger skiing, Bohemia will continue to remain a dream.

Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
All this is making really want to do the detour to Bohemia this year.  

There's some talk of Silverton among my traveling friends this year.  

The Warren Miller quote "If you don't do it this year you'll only be one year older when you do" is really starting to resonate with me.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
We got a Silverton Free-bee with the Mission pass this year... It's almost a no-brainer

Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
All this is making really want to do the detour to Bohemia this year.  

The Warren Miller quote "If you don't do it this year you'll only be one year older when you do" is really starting to resonate with me.

mm
DO IT! LET ME KNOW
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I've never heard of this place before.  It seems like a huge fuss is being made.  Not meaning to be critical, but it looks like a place where the customer base is both avid skiers AND members of the witness protection program....where, if you're too weird for Vermont, you move there.

Aside from the massive distance for most of us, the vert is marginal (albeit good for the area) and the snow depth is not any better than Jay.  Would I ski there if I lived in the area?  Sure.  Do they have some good snow days?  I bet.  But man, it ain't Valle Nevado, St. Anton or the 'Bird.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
D.B. Cooper wrote
I've never heard of this place before.  It seems like a huge fuss is being made.  Not meaning to be critical, but it looks like a place where the customer base is both avid skiers AND members of the witness protection program....where, if you're too weird for Vermont, you move there.
And that imho is exactly the allure and attractiveness.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote

Aside from the massive distance for most of us, the vert is marginal (albeit good for the area) and the snow depth is not any better than Jay.  Would I ski there if I lived in the area?  Sure.  Do they have some good snow days?  I bet.  But man, it ain't Valle Nevado, St. Anton or the 'Bird.
I know of people who live in the west and have season passes to a big mountain, but they put Mad River Glen on their bucket list after learning about it's history and vibe.  Have heard of a few who added a driving trip to ski there when they had others reasons to be in NYC or Boston.  Just saying . . .

But then I'm a ski nut who spent a day checking out Pico instead of Killington on the way to the Mad River Valley.  (Haven't skied Killington yet.)  After driving north from North Carolina because I had a reason to be in Lake Placid in mid-March a few years ago.  I also spend a week or more at Alta Lodge annually during late season.  Lots of different reasons to pick one mountain over another.  Of course, helps to be retired with fewer time constraints.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
It seems like a huge fuss is being made.
I think I am the only one making a fuss.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Harvey wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote
It seems like a huge fuss is being made.
I think I am the only one making a fuss.
I feel like you're looking at me. I admit that I understand the appeal. Maybe when I'm retired I'll pack up the truck and head out but it's tough to justify before then.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I'm not looking at anyone, but instead 5 pages of posts.  Again, I'd ski it, but it's not bucket list.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
D.B. Cooper wrote
I'm not looking at anyone, but instead 5 pages of posts.  Again, I'd ski it, but it's not bucket list.
Just curious, are you a tele skier?  If not, that may be one reason you don't quite get the appeal.  My daughter switched over a few years ago.  She definitely keeps  a lookout for tele skiers wherever she goes now.  Very likely to chat up one if there is any type of opportunity.

Besides, it's pre-season in the northeast.  Within a few weeks (days?) of openings.  Can be fun to think about someplace a little different, rather than ORDA mountains or Jay or whatever.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MidwestTeleMan
MidwestTeleMan wrote
DO IT! LET ME KNOW
I really want to.  The big problem is that it is a 19 hour drive from my house, with 2 border crossings.  I really can't do that in one day, so it adds a couple of days to the front end of my trip, unless I give up some time in Colorado with my grandchildren.  OTOH if I leave to early I may need to find a new place to live when I come back.  I'm not sure I can thread that needle.

mm

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I was surprised to find out how close you can fly? Expensive.

Cheaper from NYC, much cheaper from PHL.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Did you check if you can rent a car at Houghton County Memorial Airport?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
Brownski wrote
Did you check if you can rent a car at Houghton County Memorial Airport?
You definitely can ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
Harvey
Let's drive out together and share the driving in one day in mid-February, and I'll drop you at the airport do you can fly home.

mm
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i would bet by mid feb the lake effect machine would be shutting down, due to ice and cold water temps..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
JasonWx wrote
i would bet by mid feb the lake effect machine would be shutting down, due to ice and cold water temps..
Definitely not the case here, I went all the way to March last year and it was still dumping. Mid February is prime time.
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
Harvey
Let's drive out together and share the driving in one day in mid-February, and I'll drop you at the airport do you can fly home.

mm
Let me know when ;) I'll be at Jay peak from the 8th to the 12th and the next weekend is Valentines weekend with my girl but the weekend after that 23-25 will be perfect for me.