107 messages Options
1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mount Bohemia

Harvey
Administrator
Anyone skied there?  I want to know more about the place.

Here's my limited info:

900 vert
340 inches of snow
Huge tele contingent, tele owners?
Lots of black terrain
Pillows every where

Let me know what you know, post pics and I'll buy you two beers on my birthday.

I sold a Bohemia guy a pair of teleboots, he said he might post some stoke.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mount Bohemia

marznc
Has some very dedicated supporters.  I remember Bohemia doing quite well against much bigger ski areas and resorts in online voting contests.  One of those head-to-head bracket set ups where daily voting made a difference.

This video from 2014 was my first impression of Bohemia.  Can't say that I registered the free-heeling in the trees since most of the time the skis were well under the powder.

Midwest Powder Mecca Mount Bohemia
https://vimeo.com/90403207
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
I frequent here quite a bit and it is everything you could dream of. Various terrain, no lift lines, excellent soft powder, whiskey flights at the bar, cheap lodging and a very strong tele crowd. I haven't skied there yet as i'm just transitioning to tele from snowboarding but you will never be disappointed! I will post pics as the slopes open up!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Welcome MWT.

I love a good barter!

Feel free to post pics from last season in the interim.
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
Those are the pics I took personally last year! First year skiing so there will be some shots of that in the thread as the season progresses!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
That is a tough location. I always wondered how they managed to stay in business despite a pretty compelling storyline. According to Google Maps on dry roads: 6.5 hours from Milwaukee, 7 from Minneapolis, with the closest "city" being Green Bay at 4.5 hours. For most midwestern skiers, it'd be faster to fly to Colorado. I guess the best comparison for northeasterners is Quebec's Gaspé Peninsula.
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
The season pass here has been only $50 in the past and this year it is going to be $100 but it's only available during a limited amount of time. It's a huge draw as well due to the amount of lawlessness that is very prevalent here. I've had people come from out east and west and are already planning trips back. You just have to experience it really.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
I'm doing a road trip to Colorado this winter. I want to stop at Bohemia along the way, but it adds almost 11 hours driving time between Albany and Denver, and more if there is bad weather.  OTOH bad driving weather is good skiing weather and vice versa, so the space for good skiing with reasonable driving is pretty small.

The other option I was considering is a 5 hour detour to ski Snowshoe WV. I've heard good things about that place and it's on my Max pass.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
I would say that the detour is way worth it. If anybody is ever looking to make the trip let me know. I live about 3 hours north of Chicago and 5 hours from the mountain. I would love to show people around!
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Milo Maltbie
Milo Maltbie wrote
I'm doing a road trip to Colorado this winter. I want to stop at Bohemia along the way, but it adds almost 11 hours driving time between Albany and Denver, and more if there is bad weather.  OTOH bad driving weather is good skiing weather and vice versa, so the space for good skiing with reasonable driving is pretty small.

The other option I was considering is a 5 hour detour to ski Snowshoe WV. I've heard good things about that place and it's on my Max pass.

mm
Umm, people who say good things about Snowshoe live in Ohio or VA or NC or FL.  If I lived in Albany, make more sense to watch the weather and consider a detour to Bohemia than Snowshoe.  Assuming you like ungroomed terrain, which is extremely limited at Snowshoe.  There is one small glade.  Most of the black trails take <3 minutes to finish.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Milo my sources agree with marznc. If you go to Bohemia and post a solid TR I'm in for $20 for gas.
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
I will also throw some money for you to come up and I'll buy you one of the whiskey flights the mountain offers here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
MidwestTeleMan wrote
whiskey flights
Tell all.
Reply | Threaded
|

MidwestTeleMan
I'm not sure which whiskeys they offer but it was close to 15 different bottles of some pretty solid stuff not going to lie. It's a very small place(the bar and lodge is 4 yurts tied together) so this was actually pretty surprising to me. It's worth it no lie.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
MidwestTeleMan wrote
whiskey flights
Tell all.

Reply | Threaded
|

TeleMom
In reply to this post by Harvey
I'm new to this forum, and joined just so I could respond here.  That is how much I love Mount Bohemia!

I'm from the midwest and used to trek over to Bohemia from Duluth to sleep in a van in the parking lot and get a couple of days of epic (pretty much guaranteed) powder glade skiing.  Back when I used to ski there, girls skied and rode for free and they were very serious about the "no beginners allowed" motto. There were only 3 yurts at the base then.  Two joined for tickets/picnic area and a bathroom yurt.  They have since expanded and have cabins to rent (I stayed in one once) and I think more yurts.

Bohemia has it's own vibe, which is totally renegade.  I've skied all over CO and the midwest and live out east now, and there is nothing like it anywhere!  Ski patrol would always greet us as "the crazy tele skiers from Duluth" and we would close down the hill with them.  We were allowed to sleep in a little shack in the parking lot and would pound our knees in the woodsy tele paradise until we couldn't move.  Afterward it was a trip to the Finnish spa to hot tub up in Copper Harbor and then pass out in the shack to do it again the next day.

I've had tailgate lunches of caviar and salmon with rando tele skiers from downstate and made fresh tracks with some crazy good skiers.  The Extreme Backcountry is steep, deep and has fun drops.  Face shots all day.   The place is like nothing you've ever experienced.  Don't think about it, book a cabin, and just go ski it!  I have dreams about Bohemia and can't wait to get back there some day...

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I am sitting here wondering how I could possibly be considering traveling to Bohemia before ever going to Utah.  Let's face it, it's essentially farther from NY than SLC. But that is what I am thinking at this moment.

Where do you ski in the east? I think you and yours would fit in well at Gore for sure.

What a great first post. Welcome to the forum TeleMom.

Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Would love to see a trip/report from sickbirdrider to Mount Bohemia. Looks like only 3 hours further from the Hinterland than going to Jay for SBR... SBR may be the closest regular HR poster to MB.

1234 ... 6