classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mount Snow 2-13-20

NYSnowflake
This post was updated on .
Mount snow got 4 inches of fresh snow last night and it all fell on top of whatever grooming they did. There was no corduroy in sight this morning. I’m still learning how to ski and fresh snow/ungroomed trails, and today was a great day to practice that. It appears lots of other people at Mount Snow also don’t know too much about how to ski in fresh snow either. However, Instead of trying to practice making turns in that thick heavy fresh stuff, many of them just decided to point the tips downhill and let gravity do the work without bothering to try to do any of that tough turn-y nonsense. These are the jerks who will nearly clip you straightlining at Mach 5 as you make turns on a narrow trail like Hop. I caught up with this guy and called him out and told him that he scared the crap out of me and then he was skiing like a jerk. He admitted that he was a total d*$@ and then laughed about it and said “I’m sorry but really I was in total control”. Then he repeatedly admitted that he was skiing like a d*+%#. OK. Moving on. My skis Head Total Joys handled today’s thick variable snow just fine. However, my husband’s Atomic Redsters were quite a bit of work to ski today. He said he had to try to stick them together and treat them like a single platform for most of the day. Carving/racing skis are not great for fresh snow I guess. Eventually he’ll have to get a wider second pair of skis but for now he’s gotta run what he brung! 😉

The best part about today was 1- not being at work, 2- almost no ice, 2A- warmish weather and warm feet, 3- nonexistent lift lines and getting to lap on the high speed lifts for once, 4- rarely open trails finally being open, 5-  I also was able to ski in the bumps and crud and tracked out snow without getting totally exhausted. I actually started getting in a groove/rhythm and wanting to pole plant. Today the best trail was Uncles! I had never skied it before because it’s hardly ever open. It’s gorgeous, narrow, and has a nice flow. It’s worth the effort to find it. We also found Shootout, Hop, Illusion, Overbrook, and Ledge which are often closed and tricky to find. They were a lot of fun and had solid coverage. I also really enjoyed One More Time today and I think I skied it a lot better than I have in the past. These are all the narrow blue trails without snowmaking and I do find them more scenic and interesting than the big snowmaking runs like Ridge and Canyon. The afternoon was really quiet and empty on the mountain and I absolutely loved the last few hours. I caught last chair and we didn’t finish our last run until almost 4:15. I was sad the day had to end.

Uncles trail at Mount Snow
Me on Uncles Trail

I am the tiny dot on the trail way back
Cascade/Canyon Trail. I am the tiny speck way back on the trail.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mount Snow 2-13-20

onscott
Nice report!  Mt. Snow is a great mountain for cruising and trying some steeper trails - always have a lot of fun there.  Ledge is a fun trail - glad it was open for you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by NYSnowflake
NYSnowflake wrote
that tough turn-y nonsense
ROFL.

The place had to be empty, I don't get buzzing people, on a wide open slope.

Way to overcome. Sounds like you turned it around.

Thanks for the pics, and report.  I dig your passion for the sport.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Harvey wrote
NYSnowflake wrote
that tough turn-y nonsense
The place had to be empty, I don't get buzzing people, on a wide open slope.
Yeah, you really gotta work to buzz people when you have to track them down. It sucks, can't get any rhythm going. Good job, heavy snow can be a bit tricky, especially if you're used to sliding your tails.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ktempsick
In reply to this post by NYSnowflake
Love it! Great to hear someone reaped the benefits of some extra ungroomed terrain!
Water is good. Drink it. Slide and Glide on it.