Administrator
I agree just pointing out one highlight
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mount Snow Conditions

NYSnowflake
Anyone have first hand intel on Mount Snow for Monday 12-30 evening/Tuesday 12-31 AM? I am trying to decide whether it’s worth the drive up.
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
 that is just the tip of the iceberg. This sounds like a wild day
NYSnowflake wrote
Today at Mount Snirt, there was very thin cover and large dirt patches to dodge all over the place. Mother Nature has not been kind to us lately. The snow conditions were extremely variable and included loose chunkular on Sunbrook, drifts of fine dry shaved/pulverized powder, and boilerplate/white ice in the AM. Conditions were very firm in the AM. Later in the day, sunny areas softened up to spring like conditions surrounding high boilerplate rises. It was very crowded in many areas but the fixed grip lifts had minimal lines and we didn’t stand in any lines for more than a couple minutes by avoiding the high speed quad/sixpackss. I give a lot of credit to the thousands of intermediate maniacs out there doing their best not to crash into each other in pretty difficult conditions today. The carnage was surprisingly minimal on the blue runs. A beginner did clip me on Long John (only way to exit from Beartrap) and then yard sale 20 feet down the trail.
The proper response to this post is: Do you have any pics? Trip Report please!

I have an old iPhone that shuts off in the cold so the only photos I have are these that my husband took of the lift lines.

I did see a woman holding an infant on skis between her legs as she wedged down a very very icy Ego Alley. This infant didn’t appear old enough to walk and was not supporting any weight on its floppy little legs. It did have skis on its feet.

On Sunbrook in the AM it was pretty funny to watch kids coming off the hardpack into deep drifts of machine made snow where Cloud Nine turns into Thanks Walt. They would just hit it and fall right over, one after the other.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
NYSnowflake wrote

Good god, how could anyone actually go there let alone enjoy that place with crowds like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Marcski wrote
Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This is why we ski Platt or mid week if you can...

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by NYSnowflake
NYSnowflake wrote

I must say that is amazing. I'd rather go to the dentist.

Did you wait in that line? How long was the wait.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JasonWx
That is something.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That’s a big nope for me.

It’s like, being in rush hour traffic. It’s awful.
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I must say that is amazing. I'd rather go to the dentist.

Did you wait in that line? How long was the wait.
I spent almost no time in line that day. I never rode the bluebird or grand summit express. Ego Alley was hard to get to because of dirt patches, but if you made it over there, you could walk right onto the lift. We worked only the fixed grips and avoided any lines.
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
This post was updated on .
Grand Summit Express and Bluebird Express were damaged by lightning strikes on Monday and it’s unclear when they will be operational again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
NYSnowflake wrote
Grand Summit Express and Bluebird Express were damaged by lightning strikes on Monday and it’s unclear when they will be operational again.
Oh my!  There goes your lack of lines on the fixed grips.

From Mount Snow website:

Update at 10:15A.M.: The Bluedbird is on hold, but is expected to open by 11:00A.M. Challenger Lift and the North Face are now open! To access the summit, ride Canyon Express and take River Run to North Face and ride Challenger to the top
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
Was at Mount Snow yesterday (12/31) with my 2 sons.  Started out absolutely awful due in part to the storm that went through on 12/30 and left them with only a handful of lifts open yesterday.  Heard from people that they waited in line 90 minutes from the base lodge.  We hoofed it over to Tumbleweed around 10:30am and still had > 45 minute wait.  

But I'd say Mount Snow mgmt/personnel should also take blame for the disaster from yesterday.  The lifts were sorely undermanned and there was little to no help in organizing and directing the huge lines.  When the Sundance lift finally came on-line, they were running it too fast and we witnessed 4 people get knocked off during the loading process.  For their lifts, I don't understand why the paths to ski out to wait for the chair are so narrow.  It felt like I was walking the plank on Sundance...

On the positive side, after 2pm, the place really started to clear out, lift lines went down to almost nothing and the ski conditions were great.  My last two runs were the best of the day, the kind that make me want to forget the crap show from the morning and it made the 3 hour drive home much more bearable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Thanks for this great report. Seem like Mt Snow has become the poster child for the mega pass movement.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Harvey wrote
Thanks for this great report. Seem like Mt Snow has become the poster child for the mega pass movement.
You mean the Anti-Mega pass movement.

I've seen that a lot lately all over.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Are those people in line anti-mega?
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
Nice soft snow today in the rain. Visibility was terrible. Groomers did a good job covering up the dirt patches that were there last weekend. Lines weren’t too bad on Bluebird today. Grand Summit Express wasn’t running so the main face blue trails were pretty empty. I think they will fire up the snow guns tonight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
I was at Mount Snow this past Wednesday, Jan 1. I didn't realize there was an issue with the bluebird and Grand Summit. We parked at Carinthia as we always do to avoid the shuttle, and worked out way over to the main mountain. It was about 11 by the time we were over there and there was about a 20 min line at Bluebird. I had no idea it was down just before then?

That was the only time we took the bluebird. Spent the rest of the day in the North Face. It snowed most of the day which was just enough to keep a nice fresh surface on the trails and the North Face lift was pretty much ski-on all afternoon.

The best snow was on the closed trails. Ripcord, Jaws, Challenger and Olympic.  There was an underlying firmness that had everything covered fairly well with an additional 5" or so of fresh! Ripcord had seen snowmaking and hadn't been groomed but the fresh snow put it in play. Naturally, there was a lot of rope ducking followed by a lot of hooting and hollering of happiness. The snow was awesome! Pretty soon we had people following us. Patrol was nowhere to be found on the North Face all day. It was magical like Plattekill and not what you'd expect at Mount Snow on a Holiday. The main reason we were there was because it was sort of on the way to NH where we were headed to ski the following day.  Turned out Mount Snow can in fact be pretty awesome.

Ripcord
I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
Ethan Snow wrote
Turned out Mount Snow can in fact be pretty awesome.

Ripcord
Despite my negative comment from a few days ago, I totally agree, Mt Snow can be pretty awesome!  I was there two years ago and had a fantastic time.  Turns out we missed it by a day this time :(
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by greyMoose
Never go to a mountain on 1/1 that uses college students from South America.  They party BIG.