classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mountain Biking near Lake George/Queensbury

Chris
This post was updated on .
I'm into cross country mountain biking, just got settled into a place in Lake George/Queensbury.  We found some snowmobile trails very near our house and they're decent on the mountain bikes, but the soil is so loose, some of the climbs are out of the question...  If anyone knows any single track(y) stuff in the area a PM would be appreciated.  From what I've gathered there's not a whole lot going on...  Please prove me wrong.

I'm pretty sure I heard trails were approved for cutting on Prospect mtn.  I'm aware of exit 12 and also SMBA but I was really hoping for some treasure up here.  Also- has anyone been to Burlington, I've heard that Pine ______? is really fun.  Anyone ever ride at Gore?
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mountain Biking

tBatt
I've heard of the exit 12 trails, never been there. SMBA is some awesome technical singletrack. I'd suggest checking it out. I don't know of much in the LG/QBY region other than the dj park behind tractor supply co. I know the whiteface/wilmington trails are pretty extensive/popular. Check out the EC Roll Call thread on TGR, there's lots of biking info on there. I haven't ridden much lately, but I'm sure Matt will have some insight for ya.

I believe Pine Hill is the Rutland area stuff you're talking about?
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Yeah Fuj, that's what I was talking about, my mistake.  For some reason all of the 'major' cities in Vermont seem to blur together, and I can't keep them organized in my brain.

I rode exit 12 once this year and had a blast, worth checking out!

(Thanks for the PM Jeff)
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

GoofyRider
In reply to this post by Chris
Exit 17, Moreau Lake State Park.

http://www.adk.org/ad_mag/Moreau_Park_Hike.aspx

http://www.nysparks.com/parks/attachments/MoreauLakeTrailMap.pdf

I rode there for the first time earlier this summer.  Technical climbs and downhills, some really fun singletrack stuff on top of the ridge, awesome views of Moreau Lake, Hudson River, and the green mtns, even found some blueberry bushes on top for a nice snack!  Nothing more technical than the hardest trails at SMBA (Dam, Sybil) just more of it with longer and steeper climbs.

We started at the hudson river boat launch, near #14 on the map, and made our way up the back of the ridge.  Honestly i have no idea what trails we did, but it was a blast.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Chris
Pine Hill Park

Millstone

Kingdom

SMBA from Last Year

Kingdom and Millstone are pushing it as far as day trip distance . . .  (as in, probably not)

Moreau is cool, but we didn't really know where we were going, so I think we missed all of the best trails.  If you have Google Earth, download the mountain bike trails layer from the DEC.  A lot of the stuff is snowmobile trails like you said.  They're hit or miss, so be prepared for anything.  There's a lot of stuff around Lake George in the Shelving Rock area, and the Northwest Bay Trail, which I was thinking of sampling at some point this summer . . .