24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mountain Collective adds Stowe to their lineup

Benny Profane
http://mountaincollective.com

Taos, too.

Now there is a very respectable eastern mountain with two days included and 50% off all other times. Yowsa. Benny's doing that long drive a few times in January, fur sure.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mountain Collective adds Stowe to their lineup

Z
50% off at Stowe is still over 50 bucks.  Great mt but really high prices
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Look at it another way. If you know that you are heading west to use the pass, then Stowe is sort of a bonus back home. And since you get two days "free" then five days at Stowe is more like 150 dollars, or 30 bucks a day.

Unless you're restricting yourself to one mountain with a season pass, skiing almost everywhere is really expensive. Ticket window prices are shockingly high right now.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
$50 for Stowe is a great deal, IMO.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
Harvey wrote
But you have to use up the other $400 worth of tickets first before the half of at Stowe becomes a good deal. A lot of those areas are in the $100 ticket range so that means you ski two times at Stowe and two times at a place like Jackson Hole even you have merely broken even. And while $50 at Stowe after the break even is nice, there are cheaper ways to ski Stowe (ski club deals, SkiVT packs, etc.).

The Mountain Collective resorts are spread out so it is pretty hard to double dip two areas in one trip (Bird/Alta is a combined ticket). A lot of trips might include tickets and lodging in a package deal limiting the value. If I knew I was taking two big trips to two different areas on the pass (not counting Stowe) and I knew the tickets wouldn't be packaged, I'd bite. But how many people are taking two big trips in a given year? When I took my trip to JHMR, the tickets were bundled in at a discounted rate too good to pass up, similar deals happen at all of these resorts I am sure.

The inclusion of Stowe is nice but I think you really need to use the two Stowe tickets AND four other tickets at two different western areas to make this pass worth it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
LOL, as is my way I certainly didn't read any of the fine print or even the big print. Was just responding to the idea that even at $50 Stowe is expensive.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by riverc0il
riverc0il wrote
Harvey wrote
But you have to use up the other $400 worth of tickets first before the half of at Stowe becomes a good deal. A lot of those areas are in the $100 ticket range so that means you ski two times at Stowe and two times at a place like Jackson Hole even you have merely broken even. And while $50 at Stowe after the break even is nice, there are cheaper ways to ski Stowe (ski club deals, SkiVT packs, etc.).

The Mountain Collective resorts are spread out so it is pretty hard to double dip two areas in one trip (Bird/Alta is a combined ticket). A lot of trips might include tickets and lodging in a package deal limiting the value. If I knew I was taking two big trips to two different areas on the pass (not counting Stowe) and I knew the tickets wouldn't be packaged, I'd bite. But how many people are taking two big trips in a given year? When I took my trip to JHMR, the tickets were bundled in at a discounted rate too good to pass up, similar deals happen at all of these resorts I am sure.

The inclusion of Stowe is nice but I think you really need to use the two Stowe tickets AND four other tickets at two different western areas to make this pass worth it.
Sure. This doesn't make a ton of sense for someone who doesn't plan on traveling west during the year. But, a little. Say, next year, if you nail the early price, which is 369 this year, and get the bonus day at one mountain (if you buy early, you get three days included instead of two at just one mountain of your choice) then, even Stowe makes sense if you plan on a 4-6 or seven day (doubtful, 7) trip up there. The math is simple. Five day lift tickets are 100 bucks a day. Yeah, big whoop,

But, add a western trip, and the math gets much better. I'm living in Summit County Colorado again this winter for a few months, and my three day choice was Aspen. My buddy gets cheap motel rates in Glenwood Springs through his sister. Real cheap in a nice upscale Marriot motel. I also look at this pass as insurance. If Colorado gets skunked, we can drive to Jackson or Alta, or even Taos and grab some snow there without paying retail for tickets. Which, as I said, is ridiculous theses days. Window prices were 135 at Copper last year. Copper! And that's not unusual.

I know, I'm lucky to be able to roam with my free time, but, still, I love this product, and it gets better every year. We should all cheer and hope for it's success, because, believe me, the industry is taking notice and trying to compete. No way the ski industry will survive if they expect most to pay retail, and, the smart hill managements know that. Bottom line, an Easterner can now plan on a nice trip to Stowe and a week out west at a really fine mountain, and if they can score cheap lodging (VRBO, Homeaway), this is a good deal.

The life changer for me will be when Vail buys Killington, or some eastern mountain I like. Please, please, please, please. Free pass, essentially.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I would def buy into this!  probably east coast only this season but travel west is getting closer and this deal keeps getting better.  

Im thinking Serrias and southwest Colo/NM gonna get hammered this season.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
riverc0il wrote
Harvey wrote

Sure. This doesn't make a ton of sense for someone who doesn't plan on traveling west during the year. But, a little. Say, next year, if you nail the early price, which is 369 this year, and get the bonus day at one mountain (if you buy early, you get three days included instead of two at just one mountain of your choice) then, even Stowe makes sense if you plan on a 4-6 or seven day (doubtful, 7) trip up there. The math is simple. Five day lift tickets are 100 bucks a day. Yeah, big whoop,

But, add a western trip, and the math gets much better. I'm living in Summit County Colorado again this winter for a few months, and my three day choice was Aspen. My buddy gets cheap motel rates in Glenwood Springs through his sister. Real cheap in a nice upscale Marriot motel. I also look at this pass as insurance. If Colorado gets skunked, we can drive to Jackson or Alta, or even Taos and grab some snow there without paying retail for tickets. Which, as I said, is ridiculous theses days. Window prices were 135 at Copper last year. Copper! And that's not unusual.

I know, I'm lucky to be able to roam with my free time, but, still, I love this product, and it gets better every year. We should all cheer and hope for it's success, because, believe me, the industry is taking notice and trying to compete. No way the ski industry will survive if they expect most to pay retail, and, the smart hill managements know that. Bottom line, an Easterner can now plan on a nice trip to Stowe and a week out west at a really fine mountain, and if they can score cheap lodging (VRBO, Homeaway), this is a good deal.

The life changer for me will be when Vail buys Killington, or some eastern mountain I like. Please, please, please, please. Free pass, essentially.
One hundred and thirty five dollars for one day of skiing is insane. I will never ever pay that. Except at Silverton.

Thank god I love touring, I just can't believe what people will pay when there are so many empty mountains sitting there for free!

What kind of deal Benny are you finding for your lodging in Summit for a few months?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
If you like ski touring drop by in Flag and I'll show ya around. It's pretty insane what we have and there is almost no one skiing it. I know, everyone is like.....Arizona? Huh? But everyone that checks it out is super surprised and if you hit it right it's really freaking good. I'm going to shut up now cuz I don't want to express how good, it's ok if most don't believe me, I'm selfish like that.

If I could take six weeks off and travel around the sw I would ski the San Juans (Telluride, Silverton, etc.), Taos, Santa Fe, Flagstaff, Vegas....ya I said that and the terrain around their small ski area looks incredible for touring, Mount Baldy in California, and Mammoth but not really for the ski area but for the eastern Sierra touring. That area has some of the best big mountain ski touring in North America. There are so many 3 to 4k vert classics and giant couloirs it's ridiculous. If you do ski Mammoth make sure to ski Hole In The Wall, it's a couloir on the back side where you literally ski through a hole in the wall or a cave.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
when I head that way I will for sure ask for a tour!  thx for the offer bro.  

I want to tour/ski Convict Lake area near mammoth!  I so hope snow returns to the Serrias.  thems pretty mtns!!  

the older I get the less I want to ride lifts!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Benny Profane wrote
riverc0il wrote
Harvey wrote

One hundred and thirty five dollars for one day of skiing is insane. I will never ever pay that. Except at Silverton.

Thank god I love touring, I just can't believe what people will pay when there are so many empty mountains sitting there for free!

What kind of deal Benny are you finding for your lodging in Summit for a few months?
2400 a month for a two bedroom in Dillon. Older 70s condo with new kitchen and bathrooms and good cable and wifi right on the lake ten minutes to ABasin. Fortunately, my buddy hooked me up with a roommate who is up for the same time period, which is a godsend. So I pay 2400 for two months. Total pass pricing is about 1200 bucks (Epic, Colorado Super Pass, MC). Should get a Loveland four pack at 125, too. They have a cat on the Ridge these days. Sick amount of skiing for that price, I could live with less, for sure, but I like my options. You  see why I'm so stoked about Stowe. I couldn't really afford an eastern pass, and they just plopped one in my lap. I'm only here for seven weeks in season (real season), so this helps a lot.

VRBO is your friend.

I would like to tour someday, but, bottom line, I have no body to do it with. That's the most important part. A buddy at the same or a little better ability and knowledge level to do it with out west. I fear the backcountry greatly, don't wanna die in an avalanche, and consider avi knowledge next to voodoo in the scheme of things. It would require a lot of education and handholding, and, frankly, I'm not that bored yet inbounds. Besides, I'm old and slow and it takes me a month to get semi acclimated in Colorado.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Benny, didn't you say that you were done with the I-70 resorts and wanted to find a different region for this winter? Or was the Epic/Super Pass combination too much skiing to pass up?
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Cheap, and the devil I know. Best value in the country, because of the plentiful, cheap housing combined with cheap passes. Legal smoke, too. Yeah, Summit sucks on the weekends and a holiday, but, you work around it. Next year I'm thinking of Europe before I die, but I don't want to go alone. In two years I get a senior pass at Jackson Hole and Targhee, so that's a given then.
The old guys at Targhee have a club called the Targheezers. Heh. I want that bumper sticker.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
That's cheaper than most family's week long ski vacations. Nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
ScottyJack wrote
when I head that way I will for sure ask for a tour!  thx for the offer bro.  

I want to tour/ski Convict Lake area near mammoth!  I so hope snow returns to the Serrias.  thems pretty mtns!!  

Sweet! Write an article for Harvey and you could probably get the marketing folks at ski  areas to throw some free passes your way.

I really need to get back to Mammoth for some ski touring. I have a buddy that skis there when there is snow and he kills it putting in big days for big lines.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
ScottyJack wrote
In my case this sentiment really has to do with not having as much need for instant gratification and that it is just so much harder to stay strong. After age 60 the body wants to take every opportunity to suck you into that reclining chair. It took me from around the first of March until this last month to even begin to get my strength back from my injury and I still don't have the stamina I had last year. The 8 weeks of semi-sedentary life brought on major deterioration. A hike up a peak like Colden has me huff'in & puff'in.

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
That's cheaper than most family's week long ski vacations. Nice.
The hotel my family is staying at in Steamboat this Christmas week cost 2,200 for 7 nights (Holiday Inn).  Whole trip will probably come to about 7,000 dollars which is about twice as much as Benny's entire season.  Wow he found a great deal!!
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex : I think you posted about your injury, but I don't remember the specifics.  It sucks coming back from an injury at this age, but it can be done.  Not just for skiing, but for overall quality of life.  Took me 6 months to recover from a relatively minor surgery.Y ou have to look at the long term, you can do this!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Peter Minde wrote
PeeTex : I think you posted about your injury, but I don't remember the specifics.  It sucks coming back from an injury at this age, but it can be done.  Not just for skiing, but for overall quality of life.  Took me 6 months to recover from a relatively minor surgery.Y ou have to look at the long term, you can do this!
Thanks Pete, if I stopped working and focused on my strength I think I would be better than ever physically, but I love the mental challenges that my consulting gigs provide and I love to help new entrepreneurs. Life, even at this age is full of trade offs. I appreciate your thoughts - I will have another great winter.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.