Mountain Creek - March 15, 2017

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mountain Creek - March 15, 2017

Skiray
Winter storm Stella impacted all of the Northeast, breaking snow fall records in most of New York and New Jersey region and upstate blowing numbers that will keep parts of the East going through the end of April.

With the travel ban during the storm and most area mountains closed, we were itching to ski though we had to wait for the next day, which was a work and school day.

The kids got out early and with night skiing and daylight savings, we saw an opportunity to dig our car out of the city streets to ski nearby Mountain Creek in New Jersey which is 50 miles from New York City.

Our late day arrival didn't produce the kind of deep snow we were hoping for, but there were some stashes here and there and nice soft bumps to ski on. We made sure to make the best of it, along with what seemed like the rest of NYC and NJ!

With crowds and daylight ending, we packed up and headed home, yearning for the weekend for more. Happy to have skied, and to have taken this nearby trip with our family.

As a family of skiers, we travel to get our fix. So, ski and see where your JOURNEY takes you.

#AlbaAdventures
#NIkon
#GooglePIxel
#pixel
#Vegas

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mountain Creek - March 15, 2017

raisingarizona
Nice Ray!

That place has sure changed a lot since I've skied there, well over 20 years ago now.

It's a pretty corner of New Jersey.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Thanks RA -

It is - just way too close to NYC  - better to have it than not though.

So, crazy slides in your part of the world it looks. Wet slabs?

Everything in the NYC/NJ area melted - like pretty much gone in a week.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
We have had a bit of everything this past season. I actually enjoyed the challenges of reading the terrain and conditions to keep myself and partners safe. We did back off of things a few times but that feels great to do as well. It's nice to be in a place where that sort of decision making happens, you work like a team and you all get to go home safely to your families.

Even though it was a little trickier than usual it wasn't too bad, I've seen much more technical and stressful snow packs before up in the Rockies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Skiray
Ray it looked like a pretty nice afternoon.  Awesome to see Alicia making turns.

A kid needs bad parents.  We aren't bad enough because Neve is a goodie two shoes.

#BadParentsRock
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
This post was updated on .
Harvey wrote
Ray it looked like a pretty nice afternoon.  Awesome to see Alicia making turns.

A kid needs bad parents.  We aren't bad enough because Neve is a goodie two shoes.

#BadParentsRock
I love that HASH!  

As for Alicia, its impressive and the brace she has is more expensive than boots and skis! Well, she has the newer version of mine and I have one for each leg. She has a big decision to make this coming month - get surgery or cope.. I have no ACL in my left leg - and use the brace as insurance to not do much more damage.  So far - not too bad

Bad Parents Rock - and we agree...

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Nice video and nice knee brace.
When I was growing up in northern NJ we used to do the same thing the day after a snowstorm. I remember 45 minute lift lines and very crowded slopes. We were about 30 miles from VV/GG. The view still looks the same.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
x10003q wrote
Nice video and nice knee brace.
When I was growing up in northern NJ we used to do the same thing the day after a snowstorm. I remember 45 minute lift lines and very crowded slopes. We were about 30 miles from VV/GG. The view still looks the same.
I am sure we crossed paths back in the day then. Do you remember "midnight madness" at VV/GG?  Well it was like that, but in the middle of the day!  Carnage everywhere..  People were skiing everywhere on the mountain, I mean everywhere - for us it wasn't worth it, considering the depth of the snow was about 3 feet and they have like LARGE things on Vernon Peak that you can get caught up on.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
Nice! I went to mountain creek with a friend who teaches there a couple of times this season, once after that last big storm and I have to say, I had a ball. The tickets were $40 and the lift kept spinning at 4. It also helped that I got to cut the line a bunch of times. With mtn creek on the max pass next year, I will ride my 5 days there for sure. It was refreshing to see such a diverse crowd riding, there were literally all types. Hopefully we will get to ride next year with you at killington/pico.