Mountains, Suburbs, City or Country?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
69 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mountains, Suburbs or City?

MC2 5678F589
I don't need much. Ideally, I'd want to live somewhere where I can skin or MTB right out my back door, with loops of varying distance and complexity, depending how I feel. I want to live in a house with a front porch that I can sit on in the evening and watch people walk into town, and I want to be a quick 10 minute bike ride from a legitimate grocery store. Surprisingly, that combination is hard to come by. I think Vermont might be a good target, or somewhere like Bend, OR (no skiing in town, but good MTB).

As of now, though, while I'm still working a real job, being close to the highway in the suburbs is a good balance for me. Road bike out the front door, MTB 15-30 minutes away, skiing 45-60 minutes away. Grocery store in bike riding distance. They say that commuting is the biggest happiness killer. Once I retire, I want to move somewhere where my commute to mountain activities is 0 minutes.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I like being able to go out on the deck and look out at the trees and down to the brook. Listening to the water and the birds and smelling the trees in the summer without the sounds of civilization. Seeing the night sky as it was meant to be seen without the interference of artificial light. That's the upside.

However the long drive to services is basically another commute.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hiker Dies in the White Mountains

Lateski
In reply to this post by Petronio
I probably drive by you guys on the Thruway, I'm on the other side of the river by Montgomery,  and commute to the City every day, look for the Ski The Face sticker on the back of my Highlander.  I lived in Queens for many years and thought moving up here was way upstate in the wilderness!  That was back in the '90s and it seemed a lot less crowded then.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
raisingarizona wrote
It is a lot more laid back in the west and even more so in mountain towns. People live to live, not to work.
nepa wrote
Cheers to that RA!  When we were back East, my wife's office was run like an f'n prison.  Out here, when there is good snow, she rolls into work at noon.  Nobody says a thing because most of her office mates were out playing in the snow too.
Ah yes, "the East sucks" -- I was wondering how much time would go by before someone took that out for a spin.

Hey now, I don't think either of us said that it sucks. I actually love the east coast but if you don't see the obvious with the culture of most east coast urban and suburban dwellers and it's focus on material and money as wealth you should probably do some more traveling.

Not everyone is like that there, it's diverse like most places but overall it does have some cultural traits that differ greatly from the small mountain towns of the west.

I have read a lot of these east vs. west threads recently and in all honesty it seems like it's the east coasters that always engage the argument, it's almost like those short guys driving big lifted pick up trucks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Ah yes, "the East sucks" -- I was wondering how much time would go by before someone took that out for a spin.
raisingarizona wrote
if you don't see the obvious with the culture of most east coast urban and suburban dwellers and it's focus on material and money as wealth you should probably do some more traveling.
I lived just short of a decade in Colorado and New Mexico. Does that qualify me to have an opinion?

The point was that the hiker's death in the Presidentials may have been related to a number of factors which have been discussed extensively by all of us who weren't there, but grinding the East/West axe again... really? Dying in the mountains due to unfortunate decisionmaking is hardly unique to financial-industry machers from NYC.

When I was in the Alps last month after a very dry early-season, multiple feet of snow had fallen with avalanche danger at Levels 4 or 5, and go figure, numerous people ignored the warnings -- broadcast repeatedly on every media outlet, video screen, and message board at ski areas/villages -- and paid the price. For the record, none of the victims were from the northeastern U.S. Several were locals with extensive experience who, according to people who knew them, "should have known better than to go out in those kind of conditions."
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I really dig the rolling hills /farm land of CNY

Provides me with everything I truly enjoy to do in life....hunt, ski, bike, golf, BBQ's & Beer

Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
Not that I live there yet, but I feel Saratoga is kind of perfect. Live in a suburban setting, yet you are in the city where you can walk to stores, restaurants, bars, culture (SPAC), there are jobs in the area and 1 hour to the Gore gondola door to door.  Not to mention 1.5 hours to Chapel pond and 30 to 60 minutes to anywhere on Lake George.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
I really dig the rolling hills /farm land of CNY

Provides me with everything I truly enjoy to do in life....hunt, ski, bike, golf, BBQ's & Beer

FKNA that looks beautiful!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
Jamesdeluxe wrote
raisingarizona wrote
if you don't see the obvious with the culture of most east coast urban and suburban dwellers and it's focus on material and money as wealth you should probably do some more traveling.
I lived just short of a decade in Colorado and New Mexico. Does that qualify me to have an opinion?

The point was that the hiker's death in the Presidentials may have been related to a number of factors which have been discussed extensively by all of us who weren't there, but grinding the East/West axe again... really? Dying in the mountains due to unfortunate decisionmaking is hardly unique to financial-industry machers from NYC.

When I was in the Alps last month after a very dry early-season, multiple feet of snow had fallen with avalanche danger at Levels 4 or 5, and go figure, numerous people ignored the warnings -- broadcast repeatedly on every media outlet, video screen, and message board at ski areas/villages -- and paid the price. For the record, none of the victims were from the northeastern U.S. Several were locals with extensive experience who, according to people who knew them, "should have known better than to go out in those kind of conditions."
So you do understand the points of what I was saying?
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Surprisingly, that combination is hard to come by. I think Vermont might be a good target, or somewhere like Bend, OR (no skiing in town, but good MTB).
You should consider Leavenworth WA. It's a lower key version of Bend. This is an example of some of the MTB riding that is accessible from town:

It's located equidistant between Stevens Pass and Mission Ridge (40 Minutes). Mountain activities are accessible from town, and the scenery is amazing. Property is fairly reasonable. Many people live an Leavenworth and telecommute to Seattle.

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
In reply to this post by evergreen
evergreen wrote
Not that I live there yet, but I feel Saratoga is kind of perfect. Live in a suburban setting, yet you are in the city where you can walk to stores, restaurants, bars, culture (SPAC), there are jobs in the area and 1 hour to the Gore gondola door to door.  Not to mention 1.5 hours to Chapel pond and 30 to 60 minutes to anywhere on Lake George.

SPOT ON.

I just deleted a massive post about how great Saratoga is.  It's sweet, we have jobs, we have terrain, we literally have everything you could possibly want.  

Maybe I'm just really good at rationalizing... but I wouldn't leave here... I've thought about it a lot.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Chris wrote
evergreen wrote

SPOT ON.

I just deleted a massive post about how great Saratoga is.  It's sweet, we have jobs, we have terrain, we literally have everything you could possibly want.  

Maybe I'm just really good at rationalizing... but I wouldn't leave here... I've thought about it a lot.
+2
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
+3
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris wrote
evergreen wrote

SPOT ON.

Queensbury/Glens Falls doesnt have nearly the downtown Saratoga does.Little less pace. Lots of places to play ;West Mt,Coles Woods,Gurney Lane, Lake George Wild Forest nearby. 20 min closer to the mtns.
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man

Queensbury/Glens Falls doesnt have nearly the downtown Saratoga does.Little less pace. Lots of places to play ;West Mt,Coles Woods,Gurney Lane, Lake George Wild Forest nearby. 20 min closer to the mtns.

+1.  Born in the Adirondacks, spent 10 years in Colorado most as a ski bum, and moved back.  i can count the number of times I have been in NY City on one hand.  I love where I live.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Saratoga has some of the best road biking in upstate that's right next to a big town. Thousands of square miles within an hours drive.

Lived there for three years, broke my heart to leave. That's when I discovered Gore. I thought I would die there, but my job went to India, so I had to leave.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
You should consider Leavenworth WA.  It's a lower key version of Bend.
I'll put it on the list. I figure I've got about 10-15 years to explore places and save up enough money to retire somewhat early (45-55, if I can maintain or increase my savings rate and I don't have any enormous expenses like kids or boats). I'm still looking for the perfect place.

I like Saratoga, but I can get to all of that good road biking from my house, too, and my commute is 20 minutes shorter to Albany (probably 30 minutes shorter in rush hour). It would be nice to ride to SMBA, though. I looked at a couple of multi-unit homes in the Skidmore area, thinking of owner-occupy stuff before I bought my house in Clifton Park, but the commute to work from Saratoga would have slowly killed me every day.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
mattchuck2 wrote
nepa wrote
I'll put it on the list. I figure I've got about 10-15 years to explore places and save up enough money to retire somewhat early (45-55, if I can maintain or increase my savings rate and I don't have any enormous expenses like kids or boats). I'm still looking for the perfect place.
In addition to the usual suspects, a couple more places you might want to look at:
Carson Valley, NV
Spokane, WA
Wenatchee, WA - near Leavenworth, WA
Pocatello, ID
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
x10003q wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
nepa wrote
You should consider Leavenworth WA. It's a lower key version of Bend.
In addition to the usual suspects, a couple more places you might want to look at: Carson Valley, NV Spokane, WA Wenatchee, WA - near Leavenworth, WA Pocatello, ID
Yup. I can also vouch for Wenatchee, as I am a resident. MC, I think you'd like Wenatchee also... it's a bit more industrial than Leavenworth, but offers just as many outdoor opportunities. This is the Wenatchee MTB video. All of these with the exception of the first location are ride-able from town:

Property over here is cheap compared to Leavenworth. Mission Ridge is a 20 minute drive from town. There is property available as close as 10 minutes to the mounain

Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
nepa wrote
Matt, are you a reader of Mr Money Mustache?  http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/  Or Early Retirement Extreme?  http://www.earlyretirementextreme.com/

Petronio