classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
69 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Mountains, Suburbs or City?

MC2 5678F589
Petronio wrote
Matt, are you a reader of Mr Money Mustache?  http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/  Or Early Retirement Extreme?  http://www.earlyretirementextreme.com/

Petronio
^ Of course I am.

Much more a fan of MMM over Jacob at ERE, because he seems to appreciate good food, good beer, good weed and good times more than Jacob. I mean, I like lentil soup, but I don't want it all the time. And MMM's biking/badassery tilt speaks to me much more. I find it interesting and illuminating that there's a substantial crossover between ski forums/mountain bike forums/ and the MMM forum.

That's the plan, but I have a "golden handcuff" thing going in my career that stretches the timeline a little.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
mattchuck2 wrote
That's the plan, but I have a "golden handcuff" thing going in my career that stretches the timeline a little.
Yeah, same here.  I wouldn't trade my kids for the world, but they are expensive.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Maxing out ended for us on Lehman weekend in 2008. Still saving but not nearly as much.  To do it now, we'd have to give up skiing or god forbid I'd have to work in NYC. Just can't do either of those.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
If we had sold our kids while they still had value (cute and cuddly) then we could have accelerated our retirement timeline. Just saying
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Petronio
Petronio wrote
Yeah, same here.  I wouldn't trade my kids for the world, but they are expensive.

Petronio
Yep, the retirement timeline will shift considerably if I have to move $1000/month that I would otherwise be saving into paying for some day care place. Plus all the other expenses associated with kids.

No kids now, but I don't know about the future.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
yea kids suck and are putting a crimp in my style - I tried to ditch mine at platty last weekend but some dirty hippy telemarker kept bringing the lil bastard back down to me  
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Petronio wrote

Petronio
Yep, the retirement timeline will shift considerably if I have to move $1000/month that I would otherwise be saving into paying for some day care place. Plus all the other expenses associated with kids.

No kids now, but I don't know about the future.
Get a vasectomy.  That takes the risk of "kid expense" off the table completely.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
yea kids suck and are putting a crimp in my style - I tried to ditch mine at platty last weekend but some dirty hippy telemarker kept bringing the lil bastard back down to me  
Get your story straight -- it was Windham.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by nepa
<quote author="nepa">
mattchuck2 wrote
Petronio wrote
Get a vasectomy.  That takes the risk of "kid expense" off the table completely.
Yeah i had that after 2 kids...only thing it save me was about 10$ worth of condoms...

my kids will be off the payroll in 2 to 4 years..i hope
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
gorgonzola wrote
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
If we had sold our kids while they still had value (cute and cuddly)
Wanna buy a pair?
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Yeah i had that after 2 kids...only thing it save me was about 10$ worth of condoms...

I apologize... this is some serious thread drift.  Got mine done (at my wife's request) before we had any kids.  I could've gone either way with raising children.  My wife, on the other hand, is a career woman.  We were married a bit later in life (both in our mid 30's), and are enjoying a DINK lifestyle.  We will both be retired by age 45.  Obviously, when you have 2 incomes , the "no kid" savings plan shortens the retirement timeline considerably.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
My kids are my retirement plan. I am using every penny to guarantee they are wildly successful, then they can take care of me.
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
I don't need much. Ideally, I'd want to live somewhere where I can skin or MTB right out my back door, with loops of varying distance and complexity, depending how I feel. I want to live in a house with a front porch that I can sit on in the evening and watch people walk into town, and I want to be a quick 10 minute bike ride from a legitimate grocery store. Surprisingly, that combination is hard to come by. I think Vermont might be a good target, or somewhere like Bend, OR (no skiing in town, but good MTB).
Shit, with those requirements and that new Price Choppah, Warrensburg should be in the mix.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
JasonWx wrote

I apologize... this is some serious thread drift.  Got mine done (at my wife's request) before we had any kids.  I could've gone either way with raising children.  My wife, on the other hand, is a career woman.  We were married a bit later in life (both in our mid 30's), and are enjoying a DINK lifestyle.  We will both be retired by age 45.  Obviously, when you have 2 incomes , the "no kid" savings plan shortens the retirement timeline considerably.
If I didn't have 2 kids in private colleges , the wife and I would retired too..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by witch hobble
witch hobble wrote
Shit, with those  requirements and that new Price Choppah, Warrensburg should be in the mix.

Haha, Chestertown might be a better fit. Tops, Dynamite Hill, and a weed farm(!):

http://glensfallschronicle.com/peckham-vies-to-grow-medical-marijuana-in-chestertown/

But I'd like to think I could do a little better on the scenery front in Vermont or out West. Also, there aren't a lot of good singletrack MTB networks in the Exit 23-25 area.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
gorgonzola wrote
hahahahahahahha!!!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
the best thing about Vermont is the view of the Adirondacks, MC!!  

cherish yours Camper - that was Rensselaer County pre 1990.  more houses now than corn - and even worse them god awful big box stores....  When I miss farm country, I ride my road bike down to the Adirondack Coast and through the rolling fields of Willsboro, Essex and Westport.  Lake Champlain to the east and the Adirondacks to the west.  A mighty inspiring route.

We've settled into a little town with a big mtn (greatest vertical real drop on da east).  We can ride to single track and a short drive to skin to slides.  Property is very affordable and taxes low.  We often sit on the front porch and watch tourists make there way from the campgrounds to the Little Super Market.  Saturdays in July are Canadian spandex day.  100s of tri-athletes training on our un-crowded roads.  Hey, sometimes it's great scenery....

We don't have many amenities but there is an authentic Italian joint now, some great deli sandwiches at the Little Soup, a wood fire pizza joint on the way and we get all our veggies from a local farm! If you want something fancier to eat LP is 12 minute drive, Saratoga 1:15 and Burlington about 1:45.    

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
ScottyJack wrote
the best thing about Vermont is the view of the Adirondacks, MC!!  

Completely agree with this. I lived there for four years. Part of what I did there in the summer was to take peeps hiking to the top of Mansfield on a weekly basis. The view of the Adirondacks from the top of that hill is amazing.

ScottyJack wrote
cherish yours Camper - that was Rensselaer County pre 1990.  more houses now than corn - and even worse them god awful big box stores....  When I miss farm country, I ride my road bike down to the Adirondack Coast and through the rolling fields of Willsboro, Essex and Westport.  Lake Champlain to the east and the Adirondacks to the west.  A mighty inspiring route.

Totally do, bro  One thing I really appreciate about Virgil NY is our zoning. Minimum 5 acre building lots, and something like 300' of road frontage.....it's really a fun little place to live. Our town is truly a farming community....twas built that way and I hope it always stays that way. Heck, I like the smell of cow shit ....it's country
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
It is nice to see the Dacks from the top of the Greens but I would hardly consider that view amazing....