classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mt Brighton, MI: 2/1/19

Mi Skier
This post was updated on .
When I moved from Kinderhook,NY in 1984 at the age of 14 Mt Brighton was the first place I skied in Michigan and it left a lot to be desired. Jiminy Peak  suddenly felt like skiing a 3,000’ hill.
Last fall I bought a punch card for Mi ski resorts that gives me a lift ticket at 33 different areas. Mt Brighton is the closest area in metro Detroit to me. So since my ticket is already paid for and I haven’t been there since Vail bought Brighton and they put roughly 10 million into the place I thought why not try it again.
Pros:
The lodge is much improved
The quality of the man made snow is 100% better now thanks to SMI snow guns.
The employees seem happy to be working
Great terrain park if that is your thing
Close to home
The beer was cold.
Cons:
The lifts are slow
The runs are short and to make it worse the runs on the big hill flatten out about 2/3’s of the way down.
Next to no trees

I went solo tonight which is rare for me. Normally my kid goes with me and it felt like I was cheating on her. The snow was a nice packed powder and the bad part was you would just get into a  rhythm and the run is over. The good part is it is still skiing and after a day at work it was a great way to  unwind.
Mt Brighton says 250’ vertical but the actual skiing vertical is more like 150-175’. I am sure they measure from the back of the area to the top of the big hill.

I did get to see a beautiful sunset and I love the old groomer they have in front of the lodge

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mt Brighton, Brighton Mi. 2/1/19

raisingarizona
Pretty pictures.

Do they allow uphill travel? With such short runs I think I could get more of a workout by climbing for my runs and then saving money not buying lift tickets.
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
raisingarizona wrote
Pretty pictures.

Do they allow uphill travel? With such short runs I think I could get more of a workout by climbing for my runs and then saving money not buying lift tickets.
A good friend of mine lives 10 mins away and he said in a week night you can skin all you want. On a weekend they want you to have a lift ticket. He now just buys the Epic pass so he can Ski our west also
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Mi Skier
So it’s small, low AND flattens out at the bottom? They got it all. I can see why it was a letdown compared to Jiminy. Looks like fun anyway. And that sunset is pretty
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Mi Skier
All in all at the end of the night it was better than sitting home on the couch. After living in Michigan I will never put down a 1000’ hill.