Mt Sunapee and the Long Trail Home 3/2/11

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mt Sunapee and the Long Trail Home 3/2/11

sudsnbumps
It all started with my daughter's trip to visit Colby Sawyer College.  Every admitted student is given a season pass to Mt. Sunapee so after spending the night with the swimming and diving team, March 2 was see and ski day.  Tour the school in the AM and ski in the PM.  Our tour guide for the ski part of it was Swimming and Diving Coach Rick Goerlitz.  After a somewhat nice and warm morning, the cold front approached for the ski part of it with high winds and snow squalls.  Our first run before meeting coach was down Cataract Glades in a whiteout where you could barely see your hand in front of your face.  Nice mid to low angle glade with crunchy snow softening by the second.  They didn't get the rain but did get the sloppy slush which had frozen so the squalls were quickly softening the woods.  Mt Sunapee boasts 5 years running the best grooming in the East (better than Stratton?).  On the next lift ride up we met up with coach.  It was pretty crowded for a Wednesday but the majority of the skiers stay on the groomed.  The do have some nice glades and leave moguls in the middle of many trails...they groom the sides...and I have to admit the groomed trails were still soft when the lifts closed.  They claim 11 lifts but really only three come in to play when skiing the entire mountain.  The Sunapee Quad is the fastest and accesses all trails from the summit, The Sunbowl Quad is slower but accesses some of the most fun trails, for me and Sarah anyway(bumps and trees)...Our favorite run Hawes Hideout is a nice bumped mid angle chute that drops you into a blue bump field (sorry I am pretty bad with the pics)...  and where we are on the hill    Although I was kind of anxious since we only had 3 hours to ski, we were able to sample every trail within that time.  The toughest trail is Double Dare Ya which is a short tree shot that Sarah said reminded her of the first chute in Chati Glade at Gore.  Nothing really tough but a fun mountain and we thank Coach Goerlitz for the tour....but it doesn't end there....
We left the mountain at 4:10 and headed home in the temporary blizzard that continued on and off until around Bridgewater Corners  We were hungry and needed to stop for...ahem...food

We made it 20 minutes before the kitchen closed at 6 and I found possibly the best sustenance and subsequently spent the most I have ever spent for a case of beer...
Coffee Stout...  The kid's picture did capture the heart and sole of the place (although it would have been better without that guy)
Still snowing out so after a bite to eat we had to leave...yes she had to push me out kicking and screaming
Finally we are on Rt 149 coming into Queensbury when we get behind a car with ski stickers...I note "probably a Killington Skier" I am thinking Fugative (nah he's in Buffalo) maybe Condor...sure enough.  We pull alongside, blow the horn, Sarah opens the window and yells...nope, never looks over.  On we go to arrive safely after a great day of...Trees, Bumps and Suds
Thanks for the Ski Tour and Hospitality Coach!

P.S. The newly attached edge on my Allstars held up...looking forward to trying them out in the soft bumps on Rumor tomorrow!

Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mt Sunapee and the Long Trail Home 3/2/11

JasonWx
nice report, so , how much was the case of suds
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by sudsnbumps
Got to love the college's sales pitch, using the hill for tours and offering up the pass.

I think Sarah should apply early decision. (Do they still have that?)

sudsnbumps wrote
Although I was kind of anxious since we only had 3 hours to ski, we were able to sample every trail within that time.
I also like the fact that Suds' daughter is making key life decisions and he's anxious about getting his turns in. (I would be too!)

Sounds like another day in paradise to me.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
funny what harv wrote..
My wife just told me we are probably going up to Hanover , NH on March 18th to look at the University. I will be skiing Mt Sunapee while she takes my daughter on the tour..

Yes Harv, they still have E.D.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
She has already been accepted...Sunapee is a nice hill for a few hours but I wouldn't want to do it as my primary.  Coach has it perfectly...skis a few runs in the morning and then goes to work...now that's the life.  Jason, the 18th? really?  That's Facebook day at Platte...poor planning
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Well nothing is in stone...My kids have the 18th off , I can visit Dartmouth over the summer. Platte is now on the calendar..Now   I have to join Facebook..
"Peace and Love"