NY Ski Area Closing Dates (2014)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
69 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NY Ski Area Closing Dates (2014)

Big D
I suppose that Whiteface's decision on not opening on Sat., 2/26 is because of a 20 percent chance of rain and nothing to do with the snow base.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Milking it!!!!

Liftserved skiing is down to Quebec and New England.

Monday morning "who's left" list. A possible 8 for this weekend. 4 in Quebec and 5 in New England. 3 open daily, 3 maybe for the weekend, 3 looking beyond this weekend.

May Skiing : Eastern Closing Thread 2013-14 Part 5
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/04/28/may-skiing-eastern-closing-thread-2013-14-part-5/
Ski Mad World
A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Okay, this is called the EC Roll Call....

Six confirmed for this weekend.

Mont Sutton is not reopening tomorrow due the R in the forecast. Wildcat is also calling it a season.

So we have one ski area that will have close to 80% of its trail open. Another offering $5 lift tickets tomorrow if you have some type of Montreal Canadiens gear plus free beer (for 18+) with purchase of nachos at their bar which will have the Canadiens-Bruins 12:30pm game on. Then there is 18 trails and 18 holes of golf for $50. More, more deals...why do people quit skiing and like to ski crap WROD in November?

Okay, so here is a detailed rundown with info and links for each open ski area this weekend.

May It, No Ski It : Eastern Closing Thread 2013-14 ā€“ Part 5 1/2
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/may-it-no-ski-it-eastern-closing-thread-2013-14-part-5-12/

Am I skiing this weekend? Daughter has a show on Saturday plus the car is in the shop - damage it this week.
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
Oh Mother!!!  The sun is out after a gray and wet weekend.

No liftserved midweek for the public. (the lift is spinning at MSS everyday for a ski camp)

Jay and MSS are weekends only and done on Mothers' Day.
Kmart - Fri-Sun as long as possible.

Oh Mother !!! Eastern Closing Thread 2013-14 Part 6
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/oh-mother-eastern-closing-thread-2013-14-part-6/
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Everyone is closed in they east except Killington after this weekend.  Jay is closing this weekend and MSS is too.  Killington might finish out next weekend.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
snoloco wrote
Everyone is closed in they east except Killington after this weekend.  Jay is closing this weekend and MSS is too.  Killington might finish out next weekend.
Hang On...

Hang On, Iā€™m not done yet !!! Eastern Closing Thread 2013-14 ā€“ Part 7 1/2
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2014/05/16/hang-on-im-not-done-yet-eastern-closing-thread-2013-14-part-7-12/

I guess MSS couldn't close on 5-8' of snow and let it melt without milking a bit. MSS is open for the Victoria Day weekend (Saturday to Monday).

So there is still 2 ski areas open for this weekend.
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
This is not good for Killington.  They might be done this Sunday and loose the title of the first to open and last to close.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

MadPatSki
snoloco wrote
This is not good for Killington.  They might be done this Sunday and loose the title of the first to open and last to close.
It is official, Kmart is closing tomorrow.

Title? It doesn't really mean much as K never looked at MSS as a competitor. I remember years ago (in the late 1990s?), that K was mentioning that it was the last place open in the East when MSS and I believe Tremblant was also open.

In recent years, K only managed to close "last" last season. MSS has been more consistent as last too spin.
Ski Mad World
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Never closed