classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NY loses a ski legend...

YUKON CORNELIUS
Tom Jacobs passed away yesterday.  

Last time I skied with him was about 6 years ago, so he would have been in his early 80's. I think it was March, but it was sunny and Rumor headwall softened to "just right". We ripped lap after lap after lap. He skied it better then at 80 something, than most people 1/3 of his age. I remember he told me that he liked skiing with me because "I could turn, unlike most kids my age". That made me smile. He loved to ski and was a lot of fun to ski with.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NY loses a ski legend...

Adk Keith
Wow. I bought my first (purchased) xc skis from him in 1976.

Always had that twinkle in his eye.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
RIP Tom. May the powder days be deep and the corn always ripe...
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
saw him about town in qsby just recently ,wished i had said hello. he was ripping just this year!
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
This one pissed me off. I have every intention of ripping past 100, when guys like him pass young it makes me wonder if my goals are unrealistic. I hope every day is a steep and deep powder day for him.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by YUKON CORNELIUS
It's absolutely amazing just how influential Mr. Jacobs was on skiing in the US. Each time I read about him, I learn something new that he was involved with. Skiing pioneer takes last run - Post Star
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowhunter
Sorry to hear this.  I've been to the store many times.  I never realized the history involved....  RIP  Mr. Jacobs.