NYSB fly fishing (ok, any kind of fishing) thread

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NYSB fly fishing (ok, any kind of fishing) thread

lemmycaution
It's not technically a summer sport but it seems like there should be a place where fly fishing info and stoke could live on this blog. Fly fishing is a recent interest of mine, so I am no pro, but let's see where this goes (if anywhere). Personally, I will be doing most of my fishing in Columbia County / Berkshires / NE Cats (I think).

A handy NY DEC link with stocking info and public angling easement maps
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9924.html 

Nothing epic but this is from a couple years ago and not in NY, from the Black River close to Ascutney in VT. Nice wild rainbow. There is something special about that moment when you get a nice one. Whatcha got?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NYSB fly fishing (ok, any kind of fishing) thread

Harvey
Administrator
LOL lemmy summer really means only "not a snowsport."  Or something you do when you are not skiing. Or.

That is a nice looking fish.  I have probably caught fewer than 100 trout my life and only 4 or 5 beauties.  But it is a thrill.

Biggest ever was 17" a brookie, must have been 3 pounds. When I hooked up with it is was dusk and I was sure I'd hooked a log.  As I got it closer to the surface, she flashed that big belly.

I wanted to toss her back, but I was on an extended campout and my GF was like NO WAY.

We ate it all between 2 of us.
:)

Never fly fished.  The uglystick and spinners fit well into my style of bc travel.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
CNY this year

Reply | Threaded
|

Condor
love fishing! picture from last year maybe? dont fly fish, mostly paddling around smaller ponds and lakes, seeing whats biting!

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Bass fishing is my game..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
This time of year striper season down here in jersey.

Here's a schoolie from this past November from the second round of striper season:

Heading out tmrw to see what's going on out there (Sandy Hook, NJ area)
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
This post was updated on .
Today's catch:

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
now we are talking...
Looks like 36" +..I caught a similar one under the TZ bridge..A few years ago..

Are you on a charter or private boat?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
My brother's boat - 1990 24' Grady White.  Big enough (and semi-reliable enough!) to get us to most of the good inshore fishing around here...or the occasional trip further out when we feel like it's running good.  

Caught this one Saturday afternoon in the bay, somewhere between staten island and atlantic highlands.

30lbs, didn't measure length
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
I like this thread. Fishing has been pretty good past few weeks.  Been getting them on dries, from VT, down to the southern Catskills.  

There are definitely quality fish in NY.  I just hope that catch and release practice and river management in this state can improve, because there's so much potentially great water that, unfortunately, has been ovefished and mismanaged over the years.
Reply | Threaded
|

still biting in columbia county / berkshires area

lemmycaution
have to get out early but it still getting hits around here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Adrider83
Adrider83 wrote
 river management in this state can improve, because there's so much potentially great water that, unfortunately, has been ovefished and mismanaged over the years.
We used to tube on the famed trout river the Battenkill. Cool, clear water. Very,very nice. It was wonderful. I was told that because of the Tubers, brush is now cleaned out of the river for their safety. This is great for tubers but bad for trout. As a result, the trout fishery has declined.

We no longer go as my girl got caught in a strainer and it was extremely dicey.  Be very careful if you go.