NYSB takes Baker???

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NYSB takes Baker???

JTG4eva!
Any interest in exploring the possibility of a NYSB PNW outing?  This trip, which might test the limits of my touring abilities, caught my eye.  I'm fascinated with Baker since my last trip.  Could combine this with a couple days skiing the resort and surrounding sidecountry over a long weekend.

http://www.proguiding.com/mount-baker-bullet-train.html

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NYSB takes Baker???

MC2 5678F589
One day, $275? Plus all the money it takes to get there? In April?

Meh.

How about we try to go somewhere in NY first?
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Take the redeye out Thursday, ski Baker lift served Friday, slay the Bullet Train on Saturday, get in a Baker slackcountry day Sunday, then take the redeye back.  Three days of skiing for the time and money invested in the trip.  

Agree, I wouldn't go out there to ski one day, kick-ass as it may be.  $275 for the guide service isn't cheap, but life is short, I'm not getting any younger, and I ain't summiting Baker on my own.....so I don't view it as a horrible allocation of resources.  April is prime time at Baker, just as the EC season winds down.

I'm all for a NYSB ADK backcountry adventure as conditions permit, but I know I'm going West as some point this coming season and it's never too early to toss around ideas!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
How about renting Plattekill or doing a meetup at WF or Gore before attempting something that requires people to fly to the other side of the country.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Got a house for the first week in March in Revelstoke... 4 fanatics (in the 35 to 45 y.o. range) driving from Wenatchee... still a spot open... we can pick you up in Spokane.  $370 gets you a full week of accommodation.  We are planning a day of cat skiing, and potentially a day at Kicking Horse.  
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
nepa wrote
Got a house for the first week in March in Revelstoke... 4 fanatics (in the 35 to 45 y.o. range) driving from Wenatchee... still a spot open... we can pick you up in Spokane.  $370 gets you a full week of accommodation.  We are planning a day of cat skiing, and potentially a day at Kicking Horse.
now that's a trip
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JasonWx wrote
nepa wrote
now that's a trip
Seriously
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Seriously though, a meetup once in a while is a cool idea. Harv's Birthday at Platty was fun the last two years and NYSB'ers were popping up all over when Coach Z was there. That Baker trip (and Nepa's) sounds like a great plan. Once my kids are in college I'd be up for that kind of thing. I hope it happens and somebody posts a report here.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Brownski wrote
 . Once my kids are in college I'd be up for that kind of thing.  

LOL
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
JasonWx wrote
Brownski wrote
 . Once my kids are in college I'd be up for that kind of thing.  
LOL
Maybe should have said once they're done with college
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
nepa wrote
now that's a trip
Yeah, it sure is!  I'd love to do something like that, but weeklong solo trips aren't my thing.  I have to satisfy myself with a couple of warrior weekends!

The cat skiing operation out of Revelstoke looks great, but that and their backcountry excursions seem pricey.  I was looking at some posts and video about people touring out from Revelstoke to Ghost Peak.  Looks incredible, and it's not far at all.  

https://vimeo.com/213290589

You are going to have a great trip!
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
If you're up for something on the East side of the Cascades, I'm planning a tour over here in February. The ferry terminal is only about 45 minutes from my house. Fly into Wenatch, stay at my place (4 miles from the mountain), ride a day or 2 at Mission, and then harvest some back-country pow above beautiful Lake Chelan.

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Looks like an adventure I could be up for!  When you have specific dates in mind let me know, and I'll see if I can make it fit.....