Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NYSEF

ausable skier
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: NYSEF

Goreskimom
Don't worry about the NYSSRA book.  You will get the necessary information as you go.  That handbook applies more to  how you qualify and advance at the JIV level and up.  At Gore, the Coaches and other parents are a tremendous resource for rookie parents.  I would assume it is the same way at WF.  If you are not sure about gear, find someone to assist you in getting skis and boots.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Agree with above,  in addition to coaches and parent's meetings/club meetings early on,  talk to the parents of his teammates.  Ideally you find one that has an older sibling that has gone through the program to share experiences of the JV level.  Maybe even pick up some slightly used equipment from them.

Bottom line, focus on having fun.  Be weary of overly focusing on equipment/wax or results, especially at the JV level.  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
My son already rips all over WF including the slides and we have decided that the time has come for someone else to coach him.  He had been thru play and ski and then I worked on his skiing myself since he has been 5.  I'm really going to miss skiing so much with him.

This year he is going into NYSEF this year as a J5.  He is very competitive and loves ski racing.  The coaches at NYSEF are great.  I recently read the NYSSRA hand book / rule book and it made my head spin.

I'm finding there is lots to learn as a ski racing parent - does anyone have any advice and can pass on all the little tricks to this so I don't have to discover them myself the hard way.
You already have taken care of the hardest part. You live in the North Country.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
My daughter went through the NYSEF program JV through JIII.  Focus on "fun".  The parents and coaches are a great source of info.  At a JV level, they're more focused on just skiing, learning to use an edge, etc.  Some parents can get way too into it though.  Don't get caught up in that....multiple pairs of skis for a 10 yr old, give me a break.  Majority of the aprents are great.  NYSEF taught her how to use a ski effectively and be very comfortable with speed.  After JIII is gets very competitive, multiple pairs of skis, lots of travel, etc, so she move over our local High School team.  It was back to fun again.   Go with the flow, as long as they are having fun, all is good.  
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Good advice from all. Focus on fun and don't let it become a burden for the child. Their interests and needs will change over the years.

Years ago I had a young girl in my TaeKwon Do class. A great student. She was involved in many, many things. It was not unusual for her to have two-three practices a night even on school nights for most of the week. TKD, soccer, dance, gymnastics..... the poor kid spent her childhood constantly running here and there. While she didn't complain, it seemed to me to be too much and made her a little " scattered " even goofy at times, so to speak, not an exact word, but she definitely seemed overloaded to me.

Her parents assured me she was fine and she wanted all the activity BUT kids and people in general often say things they don't truly believe.

Follow your instincts Grasshopper.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Bag the Hovey.  Plenty of time for that down the road.
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
thanks that is what i was thinking
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ausable skier
ausable skier wrote
I've been told by many folks that really know what they are talking about that my son has the potential to be special.  He has skied over 400 days in his short life and really can rip.  How many little kids can not only keep up with their dads but push them - he is going to start smoking me really soon and I'm a pretty strong skier.  Plus he is super competitive compared to other kids his age.   I'm starting to worry about how serious this all gets at a early age.  Overall we are determined to keep it fun.
I don't even know what the Hovey is. But I really like this post. You go dad.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
No need to run the Hovey, its become way too big of an event.  Especially at that age, definately more benefit training, or if the coaches are tied up,  spending the day with you on the bumps, trees (if open),  and "playing"

Especially by the second run, the course is in very rough shape and I have seen bad things happen.

Yes, he would to join USSA to run it.  Focus on the local JV races at WF.
Reply | Threaded
|

Goreskimom
Is he a V or a VI? I think he needs to join USSA to race in the Kandahar.  The Kandahar is alot of fun and age appropriate so plan on that even if he is a VI.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Agree on both points Goreskimom