Need Advice on Mont Tremblant

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Need Advice on Mont Tremblant

TomCat
Tremblant may be a "fake village" but it is really nicely done. Nothing like Stratton or Okemo. Plus, you walk to the lift. There really is quite a bit going on in the village for a family or a couple. Food is pricy but I thought it was good. Lodging will likely be pricy since you are going during a holiday period.

I recall one really difficult trail (at least for me) but most everything else was skiable and I consider myself advanced intermediate. You will have a good time.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
I like a "real" place as much as the next guy, but I'd take the "fake" towns of Vail, Whistler and Tremblant over the "real" towns of North Creek, Rutland, and Bethel, Maine every single time. Especially if I was looking for dining options, slopeside lodging and social engagement.

Tremblant's village is built up, obviously, but it isn't just a bunch of out of place bullshit stuck at the bottom of a mountain like Stratton. It's a genuinely cool village that's walkable and vibrant. And it's French, so there's good food options.

It's easy to dismiss a place as "fake" if you compare it to the "real" bro towns, but good ski towns are able to draw people and businesses. Bad ski towns struggle to keep places open and die. Jay Peak is building restaurants and lodging because that's what people want. Not because Jay Peak wants to be "fake".

If you're looking for good food, a cool ski village vibe and a fun atmosphere, Tremblant is right up there in the East. Stowe is good, too, but try Tremblant. I'm positive you'll enjoy yourself. Especially with the kind of trip you're describing.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by TomCat
TomCat wrote
Tremblant may be a "fake village" but it is really nicely done...
Haha, you were having the same thoughts at the same time.

I'd chalk Coach Z's misplaced hate up to homer-ism regarding WF/Lake Placid, but I'm not sure why Telemark Dave doesn't like Tremblant. It's probably the same reason I don't like Sunday River - fine for what it is, but not my cup of tea and probably a bad reflection of what skiing is to me. Either that or he's a crusty Telemarker who'd rather thwack around in the woods and eat bark than join the masses for a few dangerous runs on crowded pistes followed by a slopeside sit down dinner.

Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Matt - yeh I think I'm going to give it a try - like I had said I always wanted to check the place out.

I have a hard time deviating from WF/Gore since I'm a passholder and been religiously going there for 25 years.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Couldn't have said it better myself.  You will have a great time.  Its pretty much guaranteed.  The village is thought out and quite nice looking.  Your wife will love and you will have a great time too.  Go to Tremblant you will have a blast.  Especially if you are in your 20s.  

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by TomCat
March 5-9 is a holiday period?
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
I don't think so.  At least not in Ontario.  March break in Ontario is Mach 16-20.  Quebec might be different however.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Crap - I think Quebec is 2-9.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
It's right out if the interwest play book.  Nice to look at at first but its like Epcot Disney version of the local culture.  With a Disney like price tag attached to it.  This has nothing homer about it as I suggested two alternatives that were not Lake Placid.

You want the real thing go to Quebec City which is like 400 years old.  If you go there take a walking tour from the Canadian National Park service of the town and fort.

Not sure exactly when Quebec or Ont school holidays are but do not go to Tremblant then it would be a mad house.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
I<3ADK wrote
Z - could you elaborate on the fake village aspect?

While I understand what you mean, and am used to being in Lake Placid (real village!), is Tremblant to the point where it's not "fun" or "enjoyable"?  I know it won't be what I'm used to (overpriced, too fancy for me, etc). I'm looking for something different than the norm, within driving distance....

Stowe was another thought I had, but it's pretty expensive and fancy there too.  We were at Stowe not too long ago in the summer for a day.  Did some hiking.
Had my first look at Tremblant last Dec.  Was visiting a friend who lives about an hour east.  The village is nicely set up, but clearly built as a ski resort.  I would say half the size of the shopping district of Lake Placid along Mirror Lake.  Does feel like a different country given that most people have a bit of a French accent when they speak English.  My friend is an advanced skier and instructor.  She and her friends have problem being challenged at Tremblant once there is coverage in the trees and the north side is open.

Definitely need to keep the Canadian school holidays in mind.  Have heard that's an issue at Jay as well.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by BigK75
Hey this is great. Would you happen to know my cousin Jeff Langdon? He lives in North Vancouver on 6th street.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Can someone who is from the area or is familiar with the canadian holiday please confirm if going March 6-10 is on the tail end of the Quebec school break, but from Sunday-Tuesday will be in between the Quebec and Ontario breaks, and therefore not too crowded?

Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I<3ADK wrote
Can someone who is from the area or is familiar with the canadian holiday please confirm if going March 6-10 is on the tail end of the Quebec school break, but from Sunday-Tuesday will be in between the Quebec and Ontario breaks, and therefore not too crowded?

Thanks
Yes correct on dates.  It will be double crowded on the sandwiched w-end.  Seriously.  3 million + people in Montreal with a significant skiing percentage.  Tremblant is an hour away.  Nuff said....

As for the fakey Intrawest "village", well that's a matter of preferences, there are lots of good ($$$) restaurants and bars, and the party atmosphere is right up there.. If that's your thing.  
But like CoachZ said, there's waaay more than Tremblant in Quebec... With better skiing, less crowds and local vibes.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
TomCat wrote
Tremblant may be a "fake village" but it is really nicely done...
Haha, you were having the same thoughts at the same time.

I'd chalk Coach Z's misplaced hate up to homer-ism regarding WF/Lake Placid, but I'm not sure why Telemark Dave doesn't like Tremblant. It's probably the same reason I don't like Sunday River - fine for what it is, but not my cup of tea and probably a bad reflection of what skiing is to me. Either that or he's a crusty Telemarker who'd rather thwack around in the woods and eat bark than join the masses for a few dangerous runs on crowded pistes followed by a slopeside sit down dinner.

Yes.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
Have you considered going to Le Massif and staying in Quebec City.  That would be a blast as well.  Then you get to see Quebec City.  

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I second Quebec City..Le Massif and Massif du Sud are great!!! And the City is fantastic and relatively inexpensive..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
But Sunday-Tuesday should be relatively OK since the week of the 8th-13 is not a school break?  I understand it could be crowded over the weekend on the first half of the trip.

Also, what's the Massif like?  More expert terrain?  What makes it so much better?  Also, how far from Quebec city to the mountain?  Is it more remote with nothing to do near by?  

I was thinking that Tremblant would have more to do because I plan to ski only 2 of 4 days we'll be there.