classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Need Boot Dryer Advice

Harvey
Administrator
My PEET boot dryer died at the end of last season and I'm looking for another one.

The thing was relatively cheap ($69?) didn't seem very well built and still lasted 5 years, so could probably just buy any one that I see from Backcountry.com.

But... anybody have an input, experience or recommendations?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Need Boot Dryer Advice

DackerDan
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Pull out liners, then place shells and liners a safe distance from the woodstove. Presto. Dry boots in the morning.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
http://www.amazon.com/DryGuy-TurboDry-Shoe-Dryer-Warmer/dp/B005LZUEJG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1384735841&sr=8-5&keywords=Ski+Boot+Dryer

That is what I use.  But I also like to use them on the drive to the mountain to get my boots warm.  It really helped a few of my boot problems.   They are also powerful enough to do 2 pairs of boots in an evening.  They are rather well built, mine are going on year 3 I believe.  

They don't have the power of a larger dryer, but the portability is well worth it for the way I ski.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
SBR... the woodstove thing doesn't work for us for a few reasons.

Boots/bootbags and all wet ski gear are kept and dried in the "spa" (bathroom/kitchen) which is a separate building, that is closer to the car saving walking and valuable floor space in the cabin.  Plus, the boot driers are set and forget, almost.  The PEET did 2 at once, so if I made a midnight run to the bathroom, I'd take Zelda's boots off and put Neve's on.

I have a portable like footers that can do one pair. Ideally I'd like a "floor model" that could do 3 but I've never seen it.

I saw one today at ski barn with a UV Light for extra cootie killing. Any thing even slightly legit about that?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
SBR... the woodstove thing doesn't work for us for a few reasons.
Fair enough. I am a big fan of pulling out the liners, though. You'd be surprised how damp it can get between the outside of the liner and the shell.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Actually another point I neglected... some nights we don't run the woodstove and go on electric to let the fire go out so we can clean the ash. Also summers we get wet boots too.

Good to know about UV.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Although not as effective as a dedicated boot drier, or SBR's woodstove, removing the liners and jamming them full of newspaper etc  works wonders too.  

+ 2 on the UV sterilization....especially in the summer.   My son's soccer cleats live outside in the sun when they aren't on his feet.  

Also a good "killing frost" seems to reduce any of the  bacteria/mildew/mold etc that seems to magically appear on wet stinky foot wear.  Nothing like leaving some boot liners out in -40 degrees to kill anything living on them.
Though it's not really a great technique should you have a dawn patrol mission the next morning......

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
The dry guy.  Good for two pairs of boots.  Heats them up nicely for a nice comfy fit in the morning.  I have hotronics, the heat sticks and the dry guy.   It is by far the best dryer with a heating feature that I have found.
Reply | Threaded
|

lolkl
What if you're sitting in the locker room and suddenly some lunatic jumps up on the bench ranting and pisses all over your ski boots?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
The dry guy.  Good for two pairs of boots.  Heats them up nicely for a nice comfy fit in the morning.  I have hotronics, the heat sticks and the dry guy.   It is by far the best dryer with a heating feature that I have found.
I like the looks of it. I think I am there.

I'm seeing it for $89.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I have a dry guy. It works great. You can do 4 boots at one time. We also use it for gloves and mittens.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
thanks guys I think I just found a perfect Christmas present for mrs snowbunski!
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
gorgonzola wrote
thanks guys I think I just found a perfect Christmas present for mrs snowbunski!

Um, no. C'mon, Mr. romantic.. What, do you want a sweater or two from her? sheesh
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Benny Profane wrote
gorgonzola wrote

Um, no. C'mon, Mr. romantic.. What, do you want a sweater or two from her? sheesh
Um, yes... Comfy dry tootsies makes for many days of long slow cozy lift rides and snuggly nights