Need advice on buying new Mt Bike

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
50 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Need advice on buying new Mt Bike

tjf1967
Oh and to throw it out there bark the mark shop guy build a good bike.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by tjf1967
Haha!  I forgot he was talking about a MTB.  How/why/who gets a "fit" on a MTB?  

Coach, I know you think I'm picking on you but I'm not.  I just find the stuff that passes for "conversation" on these sites to be pretty silly.  We could have a beer together (maybe even a "craft" beer) and figure this out in about two minutes.  And neither one of us would be the least bit concerned.

I think ski forums jumped the shark sometime in 2005.  I just do drive-bys now and shake my head in wonderment.  Sorry Harv.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Guys my only experience with buying a bike in the last 20 years is buying high end road bikes so maybe that has me way off base as to what is normal for a MTB.  That is why I'm asking all these I guess dumb questions.  

Still 2 grand is a lot of coin to me and the two bikes I rode where just ok and my old bike was more comfortable.  When I try a new ski I like it just Pops and I know almost right away I have to have it.  That just did not happen so maybe I just need to go try to ride some other models.

This test experience is making the internet bike now that I think about it even more risky.  I'm in no hurry so I will try some different bikes and find one eventually.  I really do value a local shop for service as well but when every LBS is a half hour away it changes the equation a bit.  At that point what is the difference between 30 mins and an hour to BVT?

I'm sharing my experience because I clearly need help here.  Just like when someone posts about ski boot fitting which I know a heck of a lot about.  Harv Road is great for this type of thing IMO.  Noah if this is not your cup of tea that is cool but why do you bother to post then?  Most of what you post seems super snarky or negative.  I'm not trying to pick a fight here - just an observation.

Anyway thanks to all for your help.  Let's keep this civil and move on. I'll let you know what I end up buying.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Coach, you should probably work through this flow chart before going any farther:
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
Haha!  I forgot he was talking about a MTB.  How/why/who gets a "fit" on a MTB?  

Coach, I know you think I'm picking on you but I'm not.  I just find the stuff that passes for "conversation" on these sites to be pretty silly.  We could have a beer together (maybe even a "craft" beer) and figure this out in about two minutes.  And neither one of us would be the least bit concerned.

I think ski forums jumped the shark sometime in 2005.  I just do drive-bys now and shake my head in wonderment.  Sorry Harv.

Well, I'm half way through the popcorn bowl, since I'm just like Coach, an avid road biker thinking kinda maybe sorta I want a new mountain bike, and watching where this goes, but, I gotta say, that is some ridiculous stuff right there. We're talking about a 2-3000 dollar purchase here for something you immediately take out into the woods and bash about on and get real muddy, so, unless you're so jaded that this is not something to research a bit among peers, well, sorry to you, too.

tjf1967 wrote
  A good bike will last until you are collecting SSI.  Probably longer your not that far away.
Not really. Especially a bike you jump off boulders and run through big muddy puddles with. A road bike, maybe.
funny like a clown
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Coach, you should probably work through this flow chart before going any farther:
I laughed out loud.

I certainly feel this way about skis but I think 2 is the max for me with bikes.  They take up too much room.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
So you think the best way to research a major purchase is to poll a bunch of random strangers ("peers"?  That's a rather large assumption, isn't it?) on the internet.

Alrighty then.  My work is done here.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Noah John wrote
So you think the best way to research a major purchase is to poll a bunch of random strangers ("peers"?  That's a rather large assumption, isn't it?) on the internet.

Alrighty then.  My work is done here.

Why yes. I trust the collective much more than marketeers and salesman, and store owners who have an obvious prejudice, or, skin in the game. Needs numbers in one or the other direction, and a sixth sense as to whether or not you being fed a line.

It's how I decided on new road wheels last summer, and, more importantly, decided against another pair that were being touted as a good deal by my shop. The former, after spending an hour or so surfing forums, generally had a great following, but, the latter had a ton of problems somebody, ahem, wasn't telling me about.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Sick Bird Rider wrote
I laughed out loud.

I certainly feel this way about skis but I think 2 is the max for me with bikes.  They take up too much room.
 That is classic stuff right there. I just bought a second road bike simply to have another bike when the first goes down, so, I can relate. Mr. Frugal and Practical inside my head is not happy. And, the one thing that really keeps me from buying a mountain bike is lack of a garage.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
You're not really comparing apples to apples here but...whatever.

And I'll bet you bought the wrong wheel set.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Why, no, I didn't. And, I just bought a second pair for my new bike. (the three year pretty much unconditional extended warranty for 50 bucks was the deal maker)
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Coach, I didn’t see where you said what kind of riding you were going to be doing, but right out of the gate it seems everyone’s got you looking at $2500 full suspension bikes.  Which is fine if you’re going to be riding lots of rocky, rooty, technical trails.  But if you’re going to be mostly riding smoother, more flowy trails, the FS bike is going to add weight and dollars that you don’t really need.  You should be able to get a very nice name-brand hardtail 29er with mid-level (X5 or X7) components from your LBS for about a grand flat.  Big difference from $2500.  I think that’s where your LBS can add some value – start your conversation at the shop with “here’s what kind of riding I’m going to be doing, what’s the right bike for me?”  Let them show you some full suspension bikes and some hardtails and go from there.

Are your trails going to look like this:

Or more like this:

OK, now I’ll step out and let everyone tell me how wrong I am.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
The new bikes with service can last 10 fifteen years easy.  I sold a 7 year old yeti and that has a lot of life on it.  

If you are going to cheap out I would stick with a full suspension and go lower on the components.  They can be upgraded over time.  The enjoyment in the ADK up by us will be greatly reduced with a stiff back end...I would guess you would reduce the amount of terrain you would enjoy by 60-70%

That Yeti I had up was the deal.  The kid who bought it is enjoyning it and he will kill himself before he kills that bike.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
You bought an extended warranty on a set of road rims?
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I actually agree with Noah John, here. You can't expect the world when you go into a bike shop. They're busy, their profit margin is tiny, and they don't have time for a ridiculously lengthy "fit" for a mountain bike.

If these are arguments for buying off the Internet, then whatever.

I still believe in the ability of bike shops to deliver a quality experience for most people, but I mostly feel the way I feel about ski shops: sometimes they're the way to go, sometimes not. If you can get a good deal at a bike shop (you're probably about 1 or 2 months early), then do it. If you find better stuff on the Internet, do that.

But don't buy a bike on the Internet and bring it into a shop to have them build and tune it... I'm pretty sure that's considered poor form.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
tjf1967 wrote
You bought an extended warranty on a set of road rims?

Why, yes, I did. What, do you think all roads are freshly paved and potholes only exist in the Bronx? Three years, at my pace, is 7500 miles. A lot can happen in 7500 miles.
This covers even spoke replacement. And, it's 50 bucks covering 900 dollar wheels. No brainer.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
But don't buy a bike on the Internet and bring it into a shop to have them build and tune it... I'm pretty sure that's considered poor form.

Maybe for the build, but, tuning? I don't think so. A good shop welcomes all tunes. They probably make much more off some dude bringing an outside bike in for work and parts all the time instead of selling a bike and never seeing him/her again. Much like car dealers. That shop is a profit center.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Did you get a free jar of lube with it?  Only kidding.    If it makes you feel more secure than its a good deal for you.  I
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Excellent point Jeff

The bottom photo is more my speed.  I mostly am riding in the private JKL tract by Mt Hamlin which as a homeowner in the Acres I have legal access.  I can ride right from my house and its mostly old decayingb jeep roads.  Rough in spots but its not boulder hopping.

A FS is more $ and heavier.  Not having ridden one before maybe that is why I was not that impressed as it seemed kind of sluggish.

I'll try riding a hard tail 29 to see if I like that better.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
This made me laugh.  :)

Also chuckle when this forum criticizes Benny or anyone for being gear crazy. LOL ok biking isn't skiing..

I also like the way Jeff talked Coach off the ledge.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp